Almost All The Way to Prudhoe Bay and Beyond

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Bigbore4, May 25, 2019.

1. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind some Canadian medical facilities do NOT take US medical insurance... your care might have to be with a credit card and/or cash
  2. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had to pony up before I could see the doc. My wife contacted our insurance carrier and I SHOULD be able to recover it once back in the states.
  3. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Friday, 6-7-19

We pretty much liked everything about Bell 2 Lodge except the lady working the desk and store in the AM. She checked us in, she knew we were guests. She knew we spent money on dinner, breakfast and cocktails. She would not turn the gas pumps on till we walked in and left her a card, FOR EACH PUMP! The server in the restaurant (Lea) was great, everyone else we talked to was great. Ah well, sucks to be bitter and not happy in your work I guess.

As we were loading the bikes and getting ready to go gas up we had a visitor. Young bear was cruising around out behind the cabin. Scared the heck out of an Alabama rider when he stood up for a look see!

We took his picture out the bedroom window!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And off we went, the bad news, need to go see the Doc. The good news, we need to finish riding the Cassair Highway to get to the doc. Bonus!

The ride was great. Good pavement, lots of sweeping curves, lots of forest. It was great!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On farther south and out onto highway 16, Yellowhead Highway, heading west it was still good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Cassair Highway has made it to my top rides list and one I feel the need to come ride again someday.

And into the ER in Terrace BC. I started out looking for an Urgent Care at a clinic. Every clinic I found did not have the feel of a medical professional service place. So I went to the hospital ER. And good thing I did. What I was really after was an X-Ray to make sure nothing was broke (it aint!) and the RN told me no X-Rays at clinics. Much different than US clinics. The clinics at home are quite like a small hospital, everything but major surgery. So I would have ended up at the ER anyway. And had I gone to the Doc in Fairbanks right after the incident, I would have had the X-Ray, but likely still had to go in later for the swelling and pain.

I did have to pony up $1040 Cdn before I could even see the Doc. Fortunately they do take plastic! I hope to recover this when I get home. A former colleague (Canadian and obviously frustrated with the exchange rate) responded to my FB post with words to the effect of don’t worry, that’s only about $375 US!

So nothing broke, Doc worried about infection (red and a bit angry looking) so 7 days of antibiotics. Still in business, but will be riding shorter days for a while.

We think we have an exit plan for Canada. East on 16, go see Mt Robson if the clouds cooperate, ride Ice Fields down to just short of Banff. Hop on 93 and head south through Kootenay park and south to cross in Idaho above Bonners Ferry. We will see how many days that takes. My Canadian pal referred me to highway 93, and sent a sample pic. Can’t wait for that stretch!

We stayed at a Days Inn in Terrace. Older building right in town on one of the main drags in the city. Well kept up, decent bar and restaurant, and the fastest WiFi I have ever had in any motel or hotel. 96 bux Canadian. Be not afraid to stay there if you find yourself in Terrace BC.
  4. RidewithAB

RidewithAB Just Ride! Supporter

Oddometer:
    On my Alaska adventure, unfortunately I was traveling alone, I have had to have said to myself 100 times: if I died tomorrow, I am happy to die riding in Alaska and NW Canada.

Keep up the great RR and congratulations on the really nice pictures and report!
    wilsonjw42 likes this.
  5. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words. Motivates me to keep it up.

Beartooth, Chief Joseph and US 14A up by Medicine Mountain remain my favorites. Top of the world and The Cassair are on that list now as well.

I need to go ride Dempster in the next year or 2 to be able to cover them all.
    twowings likes this.
  6. Coldstreak

Coldstreak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear it wasn't too serious and you can continue on your way. Looking forward to the further adventures of the dynamic duo. Does Butch have his own RR? If not, you could have him chime in here from time to time. He could explain to those who don't know you, how much of a dooshbag you really are. :-)
    Bigbore4 likes this.
  7. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It has been suggested he is free to chime in. I take more pics than him but I know he has a couple I don't. Like the morning bear standing up.

ETA Wish you were riding with us rather than living vicariously. Start planning a ride for the summer of your retirement, I'm game to come up here again!
    Holeshot08 likes this.
  8. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Saturday, 6-8-19

This morning we rolled out after breakfast, destination Prince George. Wanted a decent sized town, plan to take another day off the bikes and service them.

Coming into town the day before we crossed this really cool metal grate bridge. I have crossed many of them. This was the first one with a curve in it. So in addition to all the squirming, you had to navigate a curve. YEE HAA!. It is actually cool and somewhat historic to the region. Old Skeena River Bridge. My pics are not good. Not a good angle and I was not overly interested in one handing the bike around a corner on a metal grate bridge!

[​IMG]

And after that the Yellowhead Highway all the way to Prince George. Decent scenery, decent roads, decent fun. Light rain off and on all day, but not bad at all.

A very scenic ride, sweepers, It was just a great ride.

I’ll just dump in some pics,.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If ya aint figured it out yet, I love old barns and old farms.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Would love to have this pic without the traffic.

[​IMG]

Tomorrow off the bikes, oil change and look them over. Front tires looking good for the duration. Rears are still good, and we will not need to deal with them till back in the states where logistics will be easier.

All the bike shops here are closed Sunday and Monday, so we will be looking to the auto parts store, Walmart and or Canadian Tire!
    gpfan, Amphib and RedUly like this.
  9. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would chuckle every time going across the metal bridges after seeing these signs IMG_0510.JPG
  10. RedUly

RedUly Esse Quam Videri Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think that's a "you're riding off into the cleavage" sign.
    Coldstreak, Amphib, oneodd1 and 2 others like this.
  11. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sunday, 6-9-19

Off the bikes.

Today we changed the oil on the bikes, gave them a bit of a look-over. Walmart in Prince George was most accommodating. Everything seemed ok. So we lazied around in the afternoon, me keeping the leg up. Tires (rears) are getting down there. Hoping we can squeeze a few more miles out of them and get them changed once back in the US. Logistics will just be so much easier.
    20190609_151916.jpg 20190609_151932.jpg
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  12. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Monday, 6-10-19

Today we left Prince George heading for Jasper. Leg was feeling a bit better this morning and our plan was for not too long a day. Lots of AG country early on, and the closer to the park we got the better the scenery got.

When I told my wife we were in Prince George she commented it was a high crime city. We didn’t see it. We were on the outskirts of town however and stayed there. Riding out this morning we went through city centre and just by the looks of things, it seemed OK to me.

We rolled out and had a nice easy jog to Jasper.

Our first stop turned a little depressing. Bunch of kids didn’t complete their last canoe trip. Bummer.

[​IMG]

Back on topic, an obligatory pic of the bikes.

[​IMG]

Yet another river crossing.

[​IMG]

And much like McKinley, Mt Robson was uncooperative this day and we have only half pics. Good pics, but only half the mountain,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just for me an old barn pic.

[​IMG]

Typical of the weather for the trip, but still making for some awesome pictures!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting closer to Jasper, even with the overcast the scenery just rocks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Almost there!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When we got to Jasper, @Pca1957 commented my brake lights seemed wonky. Sometime there sometimes not. I recalled an issue when I put the cheap import levers on and pulled the switch to investigate. It had been modded (by me). So I outs with my trusty pocket knife, and modded some more. Problem solved.

Unfortunately, while sorting the brake lights, I found when I cycled the rear brake lever it went all the way to the bottom. WTF? I can only assume it got air in it when I dumped it. I never use the rear, especially with the unified braking, so I never noticed. We tried bleeding it a bit, no improvement. I will be looking for a shop with supplies and equipment to get that taken care of. My only real concern is the air migrating into the rest of the system and leaving me with nada.
  13. RokLobster

RokLobster Far from sanity

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  14. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Galactic cleavage.
    Bigbore4 likes this.
  15. AdamBNJ

AdamBNJ n00b

Oddometer:
    My dad & I met you guys up in Fairbanks, we're on the Africa Twins. Didn't get to finish the whole RR yet, but looks awesome so far. Heading up the Dalton on Saturday! Hope the trip is going well for you guys!
    alexwysh, wilsonjw42 and Bigbore4 like this.
  16. Tryggr

Tryggr Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just out of curiosity, about how many miles are on the tires at this point? I'm hoping to head out on Aug 2nd or so, and have the same tires on my DL1000.

I have enjoyed the report so far, an have added a few stops to my tentative itinerary based on it. Thank you.

-Tryg
  17. Holeshot08

Holeshot08 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great pics and dialog..love the bear in the tree! Next time you will have to cross a river....tires in the drink.
  18. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear from you Adam! Stay connected! If you have already started up it will be a couple days before you see this. Enjoy the ride. Hope the weather doGs cooperate and you can go all the way up!

It is beat your ass rough, be cautious.
  19. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We were right at 7000 miles. Loaded heavy. I wish they delivered mileage like the original model, but I'll take it. They were great in every regard.

There may have been another 1000 miles left in them, but not for any sort of off road.
  20. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tuesday, 6-11-19

Today we left Jasper heading south. Rode Icefields Parkway down to just north of Banff where 93 peeled off to head west a bit. Our destination was Cranbrook, the intent being crossing back into the US in Idaho.

I was looking to ride 93 down through Kootenai Park on the recommendation of a Cannuck former colleague and friend. It was sound advice. Awesome ride. Mostly gonna let the pics do the talking.

Icefields never disappoints, the views are stellar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Athabasca Falls.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got three really good reflective pics. Me Happy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple from Columbia Ice Fields.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

93 down the other side, wow. Really enjoyable ride. And not very long after we switched over BEAR!

[​IMG]

Great ride, great scenery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And we saw some sheep. Saw these guys first.

[​IMG]

And this guy heard @BluStar was in town.

[​IMG]

Would have loved to get this without all the people but it is a popular place!

[​IMG]

And the ride on in.

[​IMG]

We got into Cranbrook around 6:00 or so local time. I did find a Yamaha dealer with decent reviews, but missed them this evening. Hope to get in there first thing in the morning and see if they can squeeze me in for some brake bleeding love!

Dinner tonight was at Smitty’s? Chain similar to Denny’s. Best Poutine I have had on the trip. Thin cut fries done very crisp, decent cheese curds and good gravy. Steak was OK and not overcooked either!

[​IMG]
    Amphib and phreakingeek like this.