Almost All The Way to Prudhoe Bay and Beyond

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Bigbore4, May 25, 2019.

1. Pca1957

Pca1957 n00b

Oddometer:
    Don’t get me started
  2. longslowdistance

longslowdistance Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A+ RR.
    FWIW I was in the same environs two weeks earlier. Great trip, but no danger of getting a sunburn. Your weather was a ton better. Good on ya, and thanks for posting!
    wilsonjw42 and Bigbore4 like this.
  3. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We have been pretty tickled with the weather, especially up north!
  4. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Real time update. In Columbus MT tonight. A couple days behind thanks to no or slow internet. Likely camping for the next couple days at the foot of Beartooth. I will keep trying to get caught up!

Wednesday, 6-12-19

We got up and going this AM and headed over to Peak Performance Motorsports in Cranbrook BC. Small town, small shop, his one mechanic was already overpromised. He suggested Penco Power Products in Kalispel MT. So we changed up our plans and motored on thataway.

The ride down was not bad, after I got my head out of my ass and got us going in the right direction! Well actually that should read after I started paying more attention to the GPS. Here are some pics from the ride to the border.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This ALWAYS makes me feel good!

[​IMG]

After we crossed, we motored on to Kalispell. Scenery was great, Road OK. The ride was enjoyable as we headed down to hopefully get my brakes squared away.

Just barely back into the US and I see something has me go WTF? First pic from a ways off, second from up close. Man I would not want to make that call to the boss. All I can figure is he was trying to back into the drive ay and missed by a mile! Fuel tank was holed too. Be an expensive recovery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We rolled into Penco Power Products at lunch time. Seems like whenever you need help as a transient customer it’s lunch time when you get there! They wrote us up, the mechanic came back and they got my bike in pretty quickly. While we were waiting we discussed tires as we were less than 1000 miles away from needing new rubber. They did not have optimal (read what I wanted) available. Then the service guy commented on the worn tires and wanted to know what we wated to do. So we went for new rear tires on both bikes. We were there, they had acceptable tires, and they took the bikes right in and got them done.

Butch got an Anakee ADV on his, I got an Anakee 3 on mine. We shall see how they do.

Invoices very reasonable, service prompt, people great. If ya need help in Kalispell MT, get thee to Penco Power Products! And the invoices very reasonable comment is coming from a former professional mechanic does all his own work. doG I hate paying to do what I can do but when oot on the road ya suck it up and hope for the best. Fortunately they gave us their best!

I’ll go a little easy on the CSM, but this old curmudgeon that believes in The US Constitution was happy to spend a buck or three here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then we get to the hotel and park the bikes and I find my hero! Not everyone parks like an asshole! Tons of open space and he uncouples and parks proper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ejm4 and SLUGGO like this.
  5. Pca1957

Pca1957 n00b

Oddometer:
    7000 miles on the Mitas 07+ rear tires, would of replaced them with the same, but we took what they had in Penco Motorsports
  6. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Friday, 6-14-19

After breakfast and coffee, we broke camp at Tin Can and headed the rest of the way down to St Maries.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gassed up and took care of some business. We got to chatting with a local and my intent was to ride ID 3 down to P1 just north of Kendrick and cut over to Orofino. He advised us to cut towards Moscow on 6, then 9 towards Deary, then 8 back on to 3, and then P1. Very nice ride! And Orofino is where we picked up US 12. First up there were a few old farms and barns on this route!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I am absolutely convinced that the way to do 12 is west to east. This was my third pass and it has everything you need in a ride. Great roads, great mountains, great white water scenes. On a ride like this you start sounding very repetitive with the superlatives, but it was truly SPECTACULAR! Only a few pics as it all looks pretty much the same. Not that that’s a bad thing, 100 miles of smiles and awesome scenery never gets old, when riding it. I wont show you hundreds of similar pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We stopped in Lolo so I could get on the phone and find a room. And then headed into Missoula. As I checked in the clerk told me they were sold out, he got a cancellation while a guest was standing at the counter looking for a room. When he turned back to the computer to book it for that guest I had snared it with my app. Talk about luck!
    oneodd1, Phoenix101, Amphib and 2 others like this.
  7. Northstar Beemer

Northstar Beemer Face Plant

Oddometer:
    Latitude and altitude interplay when it comes to snow on the passes I think.
  8. Kidder

Kidder Poser Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice sign and I support the US Constitution, as well. Too bad they misspelled "Exercise". :)
    wilsonjw42 likes this.
  9. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    NEVER do I get tired of riding these roads...and since they are in my backyard... at least 1 or 2 times a year
  10. That.guy

That.guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For certain, I just didn’t want people thinking they would be facing huge mountain passes like in the Rockies or even Cascades. Our big mountain ranges don’t have roads through them that reach anywhere near those altitudes.
    Bigbore4 and Northstar Beemer like this.
  11. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Real time update, in Rawlins WY heading for Meeker CO tomorrow. I will try and get caught up a little closer.

Saturday, 6-15-19

Rolled out of Missoula a bit late, we did not have far to go and were just loafing. We took MT200 east, and MT279 south over Flesher Pass. Easy day, great scenery. Nice ride.

Side bar, we are 3.5 weeks in at about 7800 miles and we did our first interstate today! We hopped on 90 to get to MT200 out of Missoula.

We did take a side jog up to Seeley Lake. Salmon Lake scenery was better as you could actually see the lake. We did go around the back side of Seeley though, and on the bridge on the south end we could get a good view of the lake.

In town we came across a familiar friend. Did not stop to eat as the time of day was not even close, but still was cool to stumble on to it. In Minnesota we have a long-standing steak house legend, Lindey’s Prime Steak House. I always knew they had another restaurant somewhere out west. And we found it in Seeley Lake Montana!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Resort out on an Island on Salmon Lake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back down on MT 200 and then MT 279.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We were heading for Butch’s cousins place out in the hills west of Helena. We spent the night there sharing stories and pictures. No internet or cell signal, we had to interact with each other!
    phreakingeek, ejm4 and Amphib like this.
  12. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sunday, 6-16-29

After some more visiting, we rolled out of Helena late morning. We stopped at Sportsman’s Warehouse to grab some freeze-dried meals. We hope to start camping more now we are back a bit south. We took Custer avenue out of town heading east, and whatever it turned into took us around the north end of Canyon Ferry Lake and across the dam. The ride in was great, the lake was pretty cool, and the length of the lake at around 25 miles is something.

Destination Columbus MT so we could ride 78 down into Red Lodge. We knocked off early in Columbus, rooms much more reasonable there than Red Lodge. We did end up on the interstate again for a short stint. There was no reasonable alternate. One of our tries landed us at a closed gate.

Here’s a few pics from around the lake and on into Columbus.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty sure this is an OLD engine drive power plant. Not enough water for Hydro, not chimneys etc. In the middle of nowhere!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the motel in Columbus they were staging up for a 500 mile Model T race over the next few days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Monday, 6-17-19

Monday found us leaving Columbus to go ride my favorite three rides in the US. Beartooth Highway, Chief Joseph Scenic Byway and US 14 alternate through the Medicine Wheel Passage. All three are just wow! This is the earliest I have ever been out here so I was struck by the amount of snow remaining and how green everything is.

End of the day we stopped a bunch and the travel on the Beartooth is slower so we only made it to Lovell. We will hit US 14 alternate tomorrow.

Here is one from MT 78.

[​IMG]

And from Beartooth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have wanted this pic a VERY long time!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And from Chief Joseph.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And once we leveled out back into ranch country.

[​IMG]

What a day!
  14. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tuesday, 6-18-19.

This morning we left Lovell heading for US 14 alternate, the Medicine Wheel Passage. Talking to the locals it has been the wettest season in a very long time so the waterways are rushing and Bighorn Lake at the foot of The Bighorns was fuller than I have ever seen it.

Bighorn Lake Pic.

[​IMG]

The climb up the west side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We did run up to the Medicine Wheel. I have been out there a few times and opted not to walk out. Old, fat and a flatlander with a gimpy leg. I sat on the bench, read and chatted with folks and let Butch take the walk. There was still a lot of snow up there, in the lot and on the trail out.

Pics from Medicine Mountain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some over-landers from Luxembourg came in and momentarily had their rig stuck in the deep snow. I think he wanted to try it.

[​IMG]

After a stop in Burgess Junction for lunch, we rolled on down deciding to stop for the night in Buffalo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When we got checked into the room and I pulled my boots off I found I have a problem. When I crashed up on Elliot Highway there was a large bruise, almost like a blood blister on the inside of my leg. I suspect from being pinned between the bike and the ground as we went down. The boot prevented any cuts but the bruising was significant.

Whatever it was had opened up and my sock and boot were pretty well saturated with ish. So in the morning I will be off to find a clinic to get it looked at.
    Blue Mule, Phoenix101 and Amphib like this.
  15. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wednesday, 6-19-19

I arranged a late check-out in case the clinic visit took a while, had some breakfast and rode over to the clinic to arrive when they opened at 8:00. They got me in to see RN Kristin pretty much right away. She looked it over and decided a Doc needed to see it. Dr Williams stuck an 18 ga needle in to see if it would drain, then tried a syringe. Then she used forceps to open the wound and then the ishy came out.

I now know more than I ever wanted to about wet wound or open wound care. They got me taken care of and supplied so I could care for it and we were rolling by about 10:00.

The night before as we were walking back from dinner we saw a Super Tenere roll by. It pulled into the same hotel an we chatted briefly. Joe is heading home to Seattle area from somewhere in Florida. He works all over the US and was looking forward to home after an extended absence.

Here’s Joe.

[​IMG]

We are working our way toward NW Colorado. My partner, Butch wants to check out some of his Elk hunting grounds from the bike. We took 16 west through Tensleep Canyon, then headed south to ride Wind River canyon. Then WY 135 out of Riverton, and pick up US 287 into Rawlins. Not the best route or town, but a good staging for Colorado entry.

US 16 and Tensleep Canyon pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Couple guys on the other greatest bike, FJR.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wind River Canyon pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of Boysen Reservoir, really full.

[​IMG]

Black Mountain pics. These are courtesy of the construction flagger that told us you need to go out this particular scenic viewing area. Good call.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And again when I got to Rawlins my sock and boot were soaked. So a little maintenance, then dinner then time with the leg up.
    twowings, Phoenix101 and Amphib like this.
  16. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thursday, 6-20-19

Off the bike

I decided to rest the leg for a day and keep it elevated. I was very surprised when Nurse Kristin called from Buffalo to see how I was doing. What a great nurse!

I think my boot rubbing on the bandage over the injury is aggravating it. If the weather will cooperate I am going to try ditching the riding boot's and see if that is better.

Tomorrow we are doing a short hop down to Meeker CO. Getting set up to explore the roads around the area @Pca1957 Elk hunts.
    Blue Mule, Pca1957 and ejm4 like this.
  17. Coldstreak

Coldstreak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great pics and great trip, other than the “ishy”!
    Bigbore4 likes this.
  18. ExSquid

ExSquid n00b

Oddometer:
    Try sneakers with duct tape! Lol Hey my friend, Hope you're feeling well.
    Bigbore4 likes this.
  19. ExSquid

ExSquid n00b

Oddometer:
  20. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    In the 40's this morning. Weird weather. And Rawlins ain't necessarily the place one would "choose" to take a day off the bike.

Rose's Lariat does however have tasty authentic Mexican chow. Best enchilada plate I ever had. Sorry, no pics.