Almost All The Way to Prudhoe Bay and Beyond

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Bigbore4, May 25, 2019.

1. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Monday, 7-1-19

Today was all I70. And it just got better and better. All the way from Richfield UT to Eagle CO where we stopped for the night. Beautiful scenery, great riding. This has to be one of the most beautiful stretches of interstate in the country. High desert, down in the canyon, right alongside the Colorado River, which was over full and flowing like mad! Do not avoid this stretch because it is “slab”.

I will mostly just do a pic dump for this day. Pics pretty much in order west to east.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tuesday, 7-2-19

Today we rolled out of Eagle CO around 9:00. Our objective was the west entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park, and then Estes Park after that. We picked up CO 131 heading north just east of Eagle. Then it was 134 east to US 40 east and then US 34 east and up into the park. This was my first visit to RMNP, and all I can say is WOW! Unbelievably beautiful. You are right up in its face up there, or it is right up in your face. Either way, the beauty just assaults your senses. We saw about 12, 200 ft of altitude, the highest we were on this trip so far. This was my first time in Estes Park since high school, just a few years back.

Sometimes I think a camera with a GPS tag would be nice, as I struggle to tie the pics to places. I organize them in folders by date and that helps, but it is sill challenging. And even when I have no signal, I try to write a couple paragraphs to at least get the memory triggering thoughts jotted down which really helps as I come back and sort through pics. And my guess is location tagged photos would be more work as you opened the map link on each one to see where it was taken. So I will stick with what I have been doing.

These first were along 134 and US 40

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wasn't going to post this one till I read the sign on the roof. Hilarious!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then up into Rocky Mountain National Park.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We were climbing around a curve and Butch gets on the com and says what’s that way over there? Rocks or elk? As we get closer it’s elk! I unlimbered my trusty point and shoot and dang if I didn’t get them!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We were getting up high and it had cooled off. We pulled off to add a layer. We saw some cars go by with snow on them and then not long after we got rolling again, this.

[​IMG]

The Colorado River was a lot skinnier up here but no less full and still moving fast!

[​IMG]

And then north up into Wyoming for a bit.

[​IMG]

And up into Nebraska through the bluffs heading for Scottsbluff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A key learning here for future reference. This was the 3rd major park we just by happenstance hit the traffic right. What I think is we were entering the park in the early part of the day OPPOSITE the population centers. We hit Jasper and Banff from the north, all the traffic was streaming in from the south, Calgary. We hit Zion on the east heading west, all the traffic was going the other way coming up out of Vegas. And RMNP, we entered on the west travelling east. All the traffic was going west coming up from the Denver area. Going forward I intend to plan accordingly and try to route through the parks against traffic.

We ended the night in Scottsbluff Nebraska. Tomorrow the Sand Hills, then up to Mitchel SD. That will leave us about 300 miles to get home on Independence Day.
  3. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wednesday, 7-3-19

We rolled out of Scottsbluff fairly early thanks to a large family unit completely taking over the breakfast nook AND wiping out ALL breakfast supplies. The good news we were rolling by 7:30. The GPS was set for Mitchel SD and I had points picked to force it to US 18 and cross the Missouri at Ft Randall Dam. We zig zagged through farm country thanks to a road closure on US 18. Ultimately the leg was feeling pretty good and we opted to continue to Sioux Falls SD. A long day today would make for a short 4 to 5 hour hop in to home the next day.

Not too many pics, I enjoy riding across the sand hills but the pics really do it no justice.

Back in more agriculture as opposed to cattle country!

[​IMG]

This snuck up on me and it is a little blurry. Maybe we should have stopped but when I get into the last couple day stretch after being out a while my focus is HOME. I will have to get back down there on the way out sometime. For some reason I always thought Carhenge was down in the southwest.

[​IMG]

No shortage of straight roads.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And old elevators. I liked the paint on this one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grabbed this one for a friend that works for Land O Lakes in the feed division (Ralston).

[​IMG]

After we cut up into South Dakota we landed in Burke. A friend lives there now since retirement so we shot this pic to text to him. This is where we made the call to run in to Sioux Falls rather than Mitchell.

[​IMG]

The reservoir behind Ft Walton Dam.

[​IMG]

More straight roads.

[​IMG]

And I missed the 90K mark sometime back, but I got this one. This bike has been awesome.

[​IMG]

The motel we chose had a manager social that evening that included free beer and wine, burgers, potatoE salad and a small salad bar. No need to go back out in the heat for dinner! Bonus!

Tomorrow we have an easy ride home.
  4. reed valve

reed valve Just ride.....

Oddometer:
    Dig your style man!
    Thanks for the RR and hope that Super Tenere keeps rolling for many more miles.
    Bigbore4 likes this.
  5. Tryggr

Tryggr Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bigbore4, thanks for the information on the Mitas E07+ tire life and the inspiring RR. Hope your leg is doing better.
  6. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys! The support helps keep me going on the report.

The leg is doing OK. It is a slow process but the medico's all say it is healing and looking good. Probably have a few weeks yet, but I was able to go shoot a round of Skeet yesterday. I took a chair to sit in when I wasn't actually in the box.

My Super Tenere sits forlornly in the man cave waiting for me to get better. I told a buddy that has sniffed around them a bit to come get it and exercise it for a week. We'll see if he takes me up on it.
    Blue Mule likes this.
  7. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thursday, 7-4-19

Recognizing I am way behind here, Happy Independence Day All!

We were a little lazy getting going. Had breakfast, got rolling by 9:00. We only had a shade over 4 hours to do, the temps were moderate. Not much to write today. We are on the homeward leg, be home by 2:00.

It always delights me coming back to Minnesota. Partly because it’s home. But also because it is so green. Especially coming in from the west you notice it. And this year the west is well watered. Water everywhere. And the west was greener than I have ever seen it. But still not green like here in Minnesota. And as usual, not many pics on the last leg. The focus tends to be getting home.

But there are a few pics and here they are.

As we saw elsewhere around the country, rivers are full including the Minnesota River.

[​IMG]

St Peter is a cool river town in southern MN. Had some good times down there over the years.

[​IMG]

Traffic was a little heavy, carnival in town for the holiday.

[​IMG]

Another shot of the river.

[​IMG]

We were trying to decide where to get our end of trip pics, and after swinging east to avoid another river town with a likely parade today, we hit it. The Sheriffs Office!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bikes were flawless, excepting a slight tendency to lay down and take a nap at the gas pumps. And of course, mine bucked me off in a construction zone. That drove some minor welding repairs to the luggage racks.

The Mitas E07+ on the front went the duration and in fact has more left in it. The rears were replaced at 7,000 miles and probably had another thousand in them.

So, end of trip stats. 44 days on the road. 13 states counting Minnesota, 5 provinces and territories, 12,100 miles. Roughly 700 miles of that total was on gravel. My need to get home and get proper care for my leg injury caused us to cut the trip short. Original plan had been to continue to Sacramento California from Vegas, spend a few days with friends. Then ride PCH, the Cascades in WA, and work our way home from there. So I guess we know where our next trip will be!

And one final pic. I was really good about fingers in the frame until I shot this one on the last 2 mile stretch before home.

[​IMG]

Hopefully @Pca1957 will chime in here. Butch, you kept the daily stats. How about long day, short day and that sort of stuff? And maybe a couple of your favorite pics.

Thanks everyone that followed, posted etc. It really helps knowing someone is watching / lurking / responding. If any of you go for a putt, post up a report thread!

Life's Short Ride Hard!
  8. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    do you live in Anoka? Have anything to do with Federal Ammo?
  9. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I live in Andover, one city north of Coon Rapids and Anoka. My son works for now General Dynamics. They acquired Orbital ATK which was a merger between Orbital and Aliant Tech. Aliant Tech was the owner of Federal for a good period of time.

Beyond that I am a shooter and yes, I do have something to do with consumption of Federal Ammo.
  10. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used to travel back to Anoka to meet with management there as we shared ideas on occupational medicine and safety... I worked at the CCI-Speer plants in Lewiston ID
    Bigbore4 likes this.
  11. Coldstreak

Coldstreak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice job guys. Great trip despite the obvious. Having suffered bike related injuries in the past I know how much it sucks to sit there and stare at your ride without being able to mount up.
    Blue Mule and Bigbore4 like this.
  12. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    @Coldstreak I am ever hopeful you will be along on the next adventure.
    Blue Mule likes this.
  13. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    And I almost forgot, the end of trip Spot track.
    Spot Final screenshot.PNG
    LeMaitre and misterk like this.