Almost died from internal bleeding

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by ErikMotoMan, Jan 31, 2017.

1. ErikMotoMan

ErikMotoMan Airbag crash survivor!

Oddometer:
    In Motorcycle Heaven since 1990 - So Cal!
    UPDATE: a week ago, I was almost killed in a rear end impact. The texting driver totaled 3 cars, my new bike and (almost) me. Thanx to the HELITE airbag vest I am now at home after a week in UCLA hospital.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/rear-ended-broken-femur-totaled-gsw.1214740/

Original thread continues here:

My buddy Frank narrowly cheated death: He's a firefighter and an EMT who today swears by his HELITE airbag vest aka the 'Turtle' - in hindsight he wishes he'd had one the day he almost died - here's his abbreviated story:

The truck crossed over the double yellow lines, aiming straight at killing Frank. Reacting instinctively, he swerved into the ditch, suffering massive injuries: 7 broken ribs, busted scapula and the left wrist. Despite this devastating trauma, the local hospital sent him away the same evening. This is where the story gets interesting .... at 2 am he wakes up in massive pain. The painkillers had worn off. His stomach bloated, he realizes something is terribly wrong
    jfman likes this.
  2. ErikMotoMan

Oddometer:
    His pulse is racing. He's hyperventilating. He knows he's going into shock. Back at the hospital, the duty nurse ignores him. Categorizing him as a 'whiner'! Franks BP is now 200/100 as his body is fighting for survival. Finally a doctor arrives, realizes what's going on...Frank was bleeding out : lacerations to his spleen and liver, combined with damage to the main artery supplying the liver had allowed almost 1/4 of his blood to leak into his abdominal cavity. Emergency surgery saved his life. Recovery took over a year. That's the reason he invested in (and always) wears his airbag vest and the reason I bought one. Please share this!

Here's a review from Web bike world

vintagespeed, taz_va, Rockred and 2 others like this.
  3. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    While I'm glad he survived, it sounds like a case of malpractice that should be investigated with disciplinary actions at the hospital.
  4. Tallbastid

Tallbastid Stay Grateful Supporter

Oddometer:
    Holy Shit!
    ozmoses likes this.
  5. LostInPA

LostInPA Professional American

Oddometer:
    I love my Helite. Hope I never use it in action, so to speak.
    ErikMotoMan likes this.
  6. jules083

jules083 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I spent about 7 hours at the ER with my dad yesterday, and I have no idea how this stuff doesn't happen more often. The doctors and nurses were great, don't get me wrong. But there were more people than the ER had beds for, and there were quite a few people in the waiting room that should have been taken back much sooner. It took them about 5 hours from the time we walked in to the time dad went in for a CT scan, all because of the amount of patients. Some of them could have very easily waited until tomorrow and went to an urgent care, as they were just there for the flu.

Eric, glad to see your friend made it out of all that. Very lucky that he woke up and was able to get to the hospital in time. That is odd that they let him go.
    SmittyBlackstone and ErikMotoMan like this.
  7. mississippimadman

mississippimadman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same thing happened to me
    ErikMotoMan likes this.
  8. LostInPA

Oddometer:
    Oh and along the same lines, I was watching a vid from Chronicles of Solid, his buddy up ahead had what appeared visually through the camera to be kind of a mild little crash sort of thing on a dual sport ride they were doing, and my best guess is he jammed his abdomen forward into something on the bike (bars maybe).

He wound up messing up his spleen or liver, can't remember which, and they had to get him over to the hospital and drop him off for admission. Point being, pay attention to how you're feeling, even after a little incident, and armor yourself up in whatever way you deem appropriate.
  9. brgsprint

brgsprint Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I saw my doc (Misty) for a routine checkup a week after bruising my ribs in a minor get-off. She poked, prodded and listened to my painful deep breathing before placing a hand on my chest, the other on my back and squeezed. "No broken ribs" she said "or that would have hurt a lot".
  10. IndigoSouthpaw

IndigoSouthpaw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Problem is you have a decent number of people who use the ER as their main doctor visits because that's the only way they can receive medical care.
  11. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    The hospital kept me in the critical care section for a few days as I had spleen damage.
    5 broken ribs, clavicle and scapula plus a spine breakage and a collapsed lung.
    There were the most worried about the spleen my wife says.
    (low speed dirt bike crash on a DR650)
    This was in a trauma center hospital where they look for those things I guess.
    Beware regular hospitals.
  12. braindead0

braindead0 Head Fisherman

Oddometer:
    Good luck with that, friend of mine died of internal bleeding. She broke her shoulder, they put her in a caste and send her on her way. 2 days later she died at home, no attorney would touch it.. Insurance companies lobby the government for protection.. and it pays off. As far as I know you need a clear case of intentional damage or something that rises to an extreme level.

Good that your friend survived..
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  13. LostInPA

Oddometer:
    Yeah when I went to the emergency room for my clavicle/rib breaker crash they gave me an MRI / Cat Scan whatever it was and a bunch of x-rays to check my guts.

Did you do a thread on your DR650 crash? Whut happen?
    ErikMotoMan likes this.
  14. LostInPA

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear that.
  15. ErikMotoMan

Oddometer:
    And then she starts HITTING the dude!

Storm Shadow and helitemoto like this.
  16. ErikMotoMan

Oddometer:
    Yes, that was very strange. He told me that if he had taken more pain killers he would have died in his sleep....
  17. ErikMotoMan

Oddometer:

Man, you are lucky to have survived. 10 years ago I broke my back. Wish I'd had my Helite vest then.....
  18. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    They tell me that, but I never felt that way about it.
    Riding alone, on a modified dr650, not going fast, but on a rough sandy trail with big sandy whoops.
    Did a high side from the top of one whoop into the side of the next with the bike behind me.
    Like riding into a brick wall.
    The bike is 4 or 5 feet high, on top of a 3 foot whoop, so something like a 7 foot fall at speed with a 360 pound bike behind you.
    Took it on the shoulder/head/chest.

I could not lift the bike, but after 15 minutes some other riders came along, a rare thing but there was an enduro the next day and they were warming up.
    The ride out in the back of a pick up truck on a very rough trail was NOT fun.
    They say the spleen had a very small tear and it sort of healed itself but I was out of it for days.

You really have to be careful in any impact, things inside can tear, your heart can also be damaged they say, and it can kill you later.
    Anything that thins blood can be very bad in those situations.

I remember a story about someone who hit something skiing, went to the hospital, got discharged and a few hours later died from bleeding out inside.
    Someone famous I think it was.

ErikMotoMan likes this.
  19. FredBGG

FredBGG Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hit a deer at about 60mph and instantly went down. I was wearing good gear plus my Hit-Air airbag vest. (Helite and Hit-Air are somewhat related companies.)

My vest worked like a charm. Despite being almost 60 and pretty worn out by a day of kitesurfing I walked away with only a bad injury to my thumb.

What is also important is that I was back on my feet within seconds of coming to a stop getting off the road.

Here is the video of my crash and I added the long footage of after the accident so people can really see how much difference the vest made.
    The crazy thing is I did not even have a stiff neck the next day and only a tiny little bruise on my hip.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/crashed-hitting-a-deer-at-about-55mph.1171110/
    Uke and ErikMotoMan like this.
  20. ErikMotoMan

Oddometer:
    Fred's thread is very educating. A good read.
    Whitbylad. and Uke like this.