Alone in the Big Empty Again

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by dave6253, Jun 29, 2020.

1. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    I need to get out for a little while from this lock down!!! Thanks for taking us along.
    Ginger Beard and dave6253 like this.
  2. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking us on your Adventure!
    dave6253 likes this.
  3. busdriver803

busdriver803 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time and effort to post this report. Photos are fantastic, hope I can ride some of these roads in the future.
    dave6253 likes this.
  4. lvscrvs

lvscrvs Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dave...................... :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
    dave6253 likes this.
  5. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fantastic ride and report Dave. I loved every picture and comment.

Few questions:

Do you use Locus to plan your trips and create the tracks to follow? (I would really be impressed if you could do this on a small cell phone screen. I sure can't)

I didn't see hardly any comments about the unpleasant sand/silt one often encounters in the valleys in Nevada. Did you intentionally plan the valley portions on good gravel roads?
    And then use more primitive roads in the hills and mountains where the silt is rarely an issue?

The idea of photographing the Benchmark maps sounds great. I am going to try that. I usually zerox just the portion of the pages I need and take them to get the big picture and plan ad hoc bailouts.

Will probably think of more as I reread this.
    dave6253 likes this.
  6. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, I must say, you took getting away from it all to a new level. Outstanding writing and pictures, and just a great journey. Damn people in the west have the life!
    Ginger Beard and dave6253 like this.
  7. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    I had some long sections of silt, maybe 10 miles or more each on days 2 and 8. The 690 is much easier to ride soft stuff in. I would've been paddling along in 1st gear on the 990 where I ran 40 to 50 mph on the 690. Recent rains had compacted most silt to hard cement, so that's why it wasn't a problem most days. I didn't plan to avoid silt. Even crossed the Owyhee Desert where I expected 25 miles of deep silt. I did skip several areas of others route due to difficulty levels and me being alone. I planned to many miles, so had to prioritize being able to cover ground quickly at times.

I planned my route using mapsource then loaded the tracks onto the phone.

Thanks for all the likes, follows, and recent comments everyone!
    Reddog*, AZ TOM, waylongway and 4 others like this.
  8. boristhebold

boristhebold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yet another brilliant Dave6253 trip report. I lose myself for a few hours each time you do a new thread. :clap
    dave6253 likes this.
  9. glasshousebc

glasshousebc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A most enjoyable way to spend an hour on a Sunday morning... many thanks for the time and trouble taken to share your journey... stunning vistas and loved the B&W shot of the ‘steed’ in the garage... almost frame worthy I would say.

Cheers
    Stay well
    Steve.
    dave6253 likes this.
  10. tag3

tag3 Doofus

Oddometer:
    Inland from the coast of Santa Cruz and Trona.
    Thanks for the reading material. Enjoyed it.
    dave6253 likes this.
  11. reed valve

reed valve Just ride.....

Oddometer:
    Well shit, @dave6235 delivers yet another ride report of top quality. Thank you for taking us along.
    I hate it when you have to go home. Keep riding
    dave6253 likes this.
  12. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another outstanding ride report:clap:clap Thanks for taking the time to take the pics and write this up. It allows me to see a part of the country I will most likely never get the chance to explore!

A couple of thoughts concerning what you posted here. Video is the future of ride reports?? While I watched most of your videos and they were interesting I think that it's your pics and words that make your ride reports so great. Videos are a great add on to show what the riding is like but when somebody does a ride report exclusively using video I just exit and move on. I generally don't take the time to watch videos. Just my opinion FWIW.

Helmets? I feel your pain. I used to have no problems finding helmets that fit but it's a real PITA now. They are almost always too tight on my forehead. I have a riding buddy whose head is shaped completely different from mine and he can't find helmets that fit either.
  13. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    @klaviator - When I wrote, "Video is the future of ride reporting", I already knew that was wrong. A more accurate statement would be that ride reports with still pictures and bloggy posts are ALREADY the PAST! For now, I intend to continue ride reporting, as I am primarily a stills photographer and this forum allows for my creative outlet to share with like-minded riders. However; the audience here has always been quite small, and continues to get smaller. I know I spend far less time reading RRs like I used to. Most inmates seem to prefer to spend their time on this forum in the cesspool of the basement, or in other specialized threads. My reports seem to be read by the same few hundred each time. I don't even think most members of this forum give a rats ass about adventure riding anyway. While you may skip over videos when you are reading a ride report, most people would prefer to watch a movie over reading a book. All you have to do is look at the success of others on YouTube and compare that to how they would be doing if they had remained just on advrider. Good filmmakers, like Motorcycle Adventure Dirtbike TV, have over 100,000 subscribers and on some videos millions of views. Noraly of Itchy Boots started out not really knowing much about making films, yet look at the massive numbers of viewers she gets. There is an appetite for good films about adventures! As content creators, successful channels like this get PAID on YouTube - not constantly hounded for donations to keep the forum alive. What do you think Lyndon Poskitt's success would be like, or how different his life would be now, if he had only continued his ride report on advrider? Now, I don't expect, or even desire such success as the filmmakers that I mentioned here, but I have caught the bug to learn more about making better films. You will hopefully see better video from me in the future.
  14. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    Dave, you may be overly cynical ( or not). At any rate, I like your ride reports as they are, a mix of verbal description, images and videos. When I read your ride reports, I may, or may not, skip over videos, ( I am an old dude). But I like to come back to them later, kind of like dessert or a late night snack. Don't quit, or worry, about what you do, it's perfect!,
  15. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer:
    I spend quite a bit of time at night watching Youtube. It's nice to just click (TV) and get the full movie thing. Knowing you and how you ride, write, and tell the tail. I see Great things
    (in the future) @ Youtube..... :brow
  16. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe you are right but I still prefer pics and words. I did watch most of your videos.

Lyndon Poskitt?? Never heard of him before. Itchy Boots? I have heard of her and actually met her once but have never seen one of her videos. I guess I just old and behind the times.

Someday I might start doing video but for now my ride reports will be all words and pics. I have never seen a video, or movie about riding that matches some of the really good ride reports on this forum.

One huge advantage of the "old school" ride report on this forum is that they are a two way discussion and allow interaction with the readers. It's more of a discussion among friends. I have lost count of the number of inmates I have met because of ride reports. My ride reports don't get a huge number of views but people come up to me all the time and know who I am because they have read my ride reports.

I have met other inmates because I was following their ride reports.

Think about all the books out there that were made into movies. It is very rare for the movie to be as good as the book.

OK, I'm finished rambling. Thanks for the ride report and I am looking forward to your next one, whatever format it is in.
  17. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree with above, the words/pictures/some video, is more of a discussion among friends. The pure video has its place, but, it is more for those of a, I hate to say this, simpler, composition. Not a lot of thinking needs to go on to watch a video. The work has been done by the creator of the video. Not bashing videos, just saying it appeals to a different demographic. The ride report invites interaction and addition from others that may or may not know more about the places you have gone. It also builds a sense of community. When bad things happen, the offers of help from others is truly heartwarming. And that, is what it is all about, IMHO...
  18. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:

This post speaks volumes as to the direction of moto media. Like you, I'd also love to expand my ride reports by adding videos to them. That isn't to say that I'll reduce the written content of my reports but I truly feel that readership will continue to decline if videos don't become part of the process.

I'd love to pick your brain about what you like to see in these films and what style of videography excites you the most when you click on an "Adventure" channel.

As others have mentioned, I show up to to you reports in order to read great content and to see your travels from the perspective of your magical lens, but I'm pretty damn excited to watch your progress in film making as it can only serve to expand upon what draws me into these threads in the first place.

Dave
  19. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    I much prefer the forums and read every ride report you do. I rarely watch the embedded videos, I'm just not that interested in watching a GoPro feed.
  20. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I personally don't care for riding videos. Seems like no matter how exciting they are, they just get boring for me too quickly and I exit them. Nowadays I will virtually never start one.

A big exception are RideFreak's drone videos of his rides outside Albuquerque. These are always fascinating.

Another exception is if the video is of a place I am planning to ride and I really want to see how difficult it is.