Alone in the Big Empty Again

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by dave6253, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Whats youtube?
    Oh those videos that showed how to put a new hard drive in my computer and fix the tear in my SUP.
    Dave please keep sharing your excellent ride reports .
    dave6253 likes this.
  2. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    One thing about videos, if you don't like 'em, don't watch 'em. If they get boring, fast forward or shut down. I personally don't like news videos. I would much rather read my news. I like a mix of video and still images with commentary for my vicarious riding experience. Keep 'em coming!.
    dave6253 likes this.
  3. headstaller

headstaller Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your video is a nice compliment to an exceptional (as usual) RR :thumb
    dave6253 likes this.
  4. MotorPsycho Miko

MotorPsycho Miko Ride, ride, ride.

Oddometer:
  5. MotorPsycho Miko

MotorPsycho Miko Ride, ride, ride.

Oddometer:
    Oh how I long for the wide open spaces. There is something special about being out west where you can see miles ahead. I like Nevada for that reason.
    dave6253 and klaviator like this.
  6. BigGuy

BigGuy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You are an inspiration!
    dave6253 likes this.
  7. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fantastic report! Gives me more ideas for places to go. Your photos and commentary are some of the best on ADV. Always love them. I've got a friend who lives in Eastern Oregon now, so maybe I can base out of there and do yours and Live2day's Oregon outback rides. Thanks for taking the time to share.
    dave6253 likes this.
  8. jeckyll

jeckyll Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    You're right. I actually saw Lyndon's videos on youtube before ever running across any of his content here.

At the same time, I find that my past trips tend to 'mush-together' in my mind, and I really enjoy going back and re-reading my own ride reports to remind myself of some of the trips. They're more a memory seed for me. If someone else enjoys some of it along the way, even better :)

But, these days I spend more time on youtube watching videos than I do here reading ride reports. Then again, I only bought a KLR in 2007 because I watched 'Long way round' ...
    dave6253 likes this.
  9. hookeniggy

hookeniggy Good at getting lost

Oddometer:
    Fantastic !!! thank you for sharing the beautiful pictures and writing, this has been on my bucket list for a very long time, have a life purpose again, you're an inspiration, ride safe Dave.
    dave6253 likes this.
  10. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    Ha! You guys are funny. Over the past 12 years I've posted 43 ride reports. I've been recognized while out and about exactly 2 times. None of my little reports have made much of a splash, but I still enjoy doing them. I've met new lifelong friends and been able to ride with many great people here. As a social forum for us avid motorcyclists, it's awesome! I intend to continue ride reporting - in whatever form I feel to creatively express myself. How many members does advrider even have? As of today, 379,658. Of that very large-sounding number, how many spend much time at all following ride reports? As much as I want to dislike the selfie-centric style of YouTuber's like Lyndon Poskitt and Noraly of Itchy Boots, they are providing creative content that large numbers of people want to consume. Think 379,658 is a large number? Is 487,000 larger? How about 888,000? A single short Itchy Boots video revealing her new motorcycle just 2 weeks ago has garnered 888K VIEWS! The Itchy Boots Channel has 487K subscribers! Now I have no expectation of having that sort of success for myself, but I just expressed my desire to learn more about the art of film-making, and I'm not thinking of just posting boring helmet camera footage - like I did in this report.

Is this Ride Report style of full length documentary boring? Could I produce something similar?

it has 2.2 MILLION views!

If I were to go on a real RTW adventure in the near future, would I be happy just documenting it with still photography and a static Ride Report here for us few?
  11. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dave, I've been on the forum for a while and have been admiring your photography all along. I don't know how many times I've thought, "How did he do that?" or "I wonder if my tired butt could get out there and capture a similar photo?" When I saw your first drone photography, I had to smile a bit as I liked the composition of the different dimension you added to your list of talents. I watch the videos, too, and enjoy them. Frankly, though, I'd like to see you and Mr. Stewart link up, again, and do what you two do best, riding, photography and narrative. You guys churn out the miles in great wide-open with plenty of fine photography. Keep expanding your talents . . . please!

Mike
  12. boristhebold

boristhebold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How Itchy Boots, Lyndon Poskitt and the cyclist feller below do their videos seems to be how many tens/hundreds of thousands of viewers like them. I last about 3 seconds on most 'personal' videos showing part of a dashboard and a trail leading away....and on it goes for minutes and minutes....but when a story is being told.....which is pretty much what advrider epic ride reports are.......
    I look forward to seeing your next travel venture as I'm pretty sure you'll make a great job of it.

http://www.bikewanderer.com/video/
    dave6253 likes this.
  13. Times2dogs

Times2dogs n00b

Oddometer:
    Awesome trip and write-up Dave. Living in Aussie and with a 690 in the garage, under a stay at home lock down I'm feeling the pain atm. Go hard or go home!
    dave6253 likes this.
  14. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    A friend and I did some videos on car maintenance. I can tell you that it's a ton of work and slowed my wrenching down by at least 50%. IE, a job I could get done in an hour took 2 to film. Then you have to edit it all. I dunno, that's time I just don't want to spend while riding. Those guys are doing that as their job and potentially have a professional editer putting their footage together for them. You really want to do that? Also, watch some of the videos relating to how much money you actually make on YouTube, you'll be shocked at how little 1 million views actually pays...
  15. black 8

black 8 motographer

Oddometer:
    Dave thanks for posting your RR... your pictures are what drew me into your reports in the first place...

As for content... I like to document my rides and if people happen to read them, I'm fine with that... It beats storing my photos in a folder on the hard drive and later on I can read what I was thinking/experiencing at the moment the photo was snapped instead of relying on memory. As for the videos, like many have stated, I can take it or leave it.... if it's more than a minute or so I lose interest and fast fwd or just turn it off.

You're probably right about the direction of RR in the future but that's for the newer generation to deal with. I have no interest in monetizing content like the individuals you mentioned with the youtube views. It is just too time consuming during and post ride, it takes the fun out of the ride by; riding to a location, setting up the gear, making your run to capture video, then coming back to recover said gear, and finally producing content on the back end... Moreover you have to keep producing content to keep your viewership, hit, like, subscribe... again too much work for my retired arse.... below is a quote from a RR I followed a while back in post #7...

Through A Bug-Splattered Helmet: A Solo Ride Across America ..."This was supposed to be a video documentary after all. I shot some basic footage, and then set up to record myself driving by. I hit the record button, and rushed back to the bike where I hopped on and rode out of the camera’s view. I turned around, and rode back for a second pass and to grab my gear. Satisfied I had something usable, I packed up and continued on."
    klaviator, Uke, dave6253 and 3 others like this.
  16. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    My sentiments exactly! I enjoy "classic" ride reports with words and pictures; but I'm an old guy with only enough energy left to ride it or film it. So I choose to ride it.
    Most helmet cam videos get boring in short order and get skipped over. On the other hand, a very few "filmmakers" produce quality work well worth watching. But it takes a ton of work, artistry and skill. I'm glad there are artists like Dave willing to share their work with us.
    hansen, klaviator, Uke and 4 others like this.
  17. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bob likes this.
  18. Topcop45

Topcop45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For actual ride reports I much prefer the still photography style like yours. Also, was this trip doable on a big bike like your Tenere?
    hansen and Uke like this.
  19. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    Sure. I've ridden much of this on my KTM 990 a couple years earlier.
    Topcop45 likes this.
  20. hansen

hansen airhead addict

Oddometer:
    In my opinion: yes. I got bored after a couple of minutes and stopped viewing.

Sure. But you would soon find yourself spending a lot more time staging and editing than riding and enjoying the scenery.

which doesn't tell anything about how many people viewed it full length. 2.2 million clicks would be a more honest description.

IMHO much happier. But try it and find out what you feel better with. ;)
    staticPort and dave6253 like this.