Alone in the Big Empty Again

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by dave6253, Jun 29, 2020.

1. rider914

rider914 Agnostic Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent report @dave6253 and stellar photography as usual :thumb

Finally got all caught up :knary
    I can't read a report without geeking out on maps and figuring out every little route detail :norton

I've probly ridden ~75% of your NV loop on one trip or another. Never get tired of seeing it again or from another perspective.

Think I ollowed your exact track from Lovelock to Gerlach in 2018, 'cept we successfully made it over the Selenite Range.
    Hate to say, but pretty sure you had cleared the worst climb at the point you turned around. Still a couple minor climbs to a ridge route, then a relentless loose decent down to Empire.
    [​IMG]

My trip ended later that day when the crank on my 525 started spreading ~5 miles shy of Soldier Meadow :(
    [​IMG]

Regarding videos in a ride report... I like 'em short (<30sec) and specific to the moment.
    Anything over a minute better be epic or i'll probably skip ahead. I don't have the right attention span for full ride video blogs :twitch

-M
  2. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agree with 914 on the short videos. Also I prefer videos without music, but the sound of a revved up single sure is good. Dave I do like your great photos and text. What this type of riding is really about is going to the silent places. I do believe we all share a great fondness for that SILENCE. Petepilot
    Burro driver, Chillis, hansen and 2 others like this.
  3. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    Video is a bit complex but there is a formula and it works.

It can work in ride reports if using the right formula, camera work and editing. It takes time and money.

Sadly, at the moment there’s no revenue stream on Advrider to support it. But I believe elsewhere.

Of course there are other important factors to content... good writing, great story, structure, pacing. On camera talent and good voice quality. We tend to take these things for granted. A good production or a natural talent makes this look/ sound easy.

But I believe just like in Field Of Dreams... if you build it. Yep.
    staticPort and dave6253 like this.
  4. SierraCB

SierraCB wadahp

Oddometer:
    Seriously epic report and quality photos. It's hard to find someone who actually composes the photo and not just snap a fast picture. What is your camera setup?

As someone who doesn't really ride alone unless for day trips, it's wild to me that you have no issue with complete solitude especially camping off the bike for a week at a time. Does it ever bug you being alone? Any thoughts of wildlife being an issue? Crazies?

Thanks for that
    dave6253 likes this.
  5. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Not sure what you want to know about camera setup. As mentioned before, I use multiple cameras. How the camera would be set up for each shot depends on what I'm trying to capture.

I've been happily married for 26 years. I miss my wife when out on solo trips and have no desire to live alone forever. However; I have no problem with complete avoidance of most all other people. Wildlife? I'll take my chances, as statistically you have far more to fear from other humans - especially those you know and love. I do have fears about traveling alone - and recognize the potential consequences. I worry more about a mechanical problem or disabling injury instantly turning my ride into a real survival scenario - not wildlife.
  6. PsammonOfDoubt

PsammonOfDoubt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    your reports have great writing & great pics, the video is icing on the cake.
    DesertSurfer, chilejack and dave6253 like this.
  7. SierraCB

SierraCB wadahp

Oddometer:
    I was just seeing what you shoot with as your main camera?

I like your outlook on the solo thing!
    dave6253 likes this.
  8. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    It looks like you had a great ride with some beautiful views, stars and sunsets. Thank you for sharing your experience with all of us. I enjoy seeing familiar sights from your perspective.

It is humbling to be mentioned as inspiration for some parts of your route. I hope I did not lead you too far astray...
    dave6253 and DesertSurfer like this.
  9. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Nicely done. AGAIN!!! Count me in Rider914's camp regarding video's - I like your rides with excellent photos, sparse words and short videos. I may be among the 300 or so you reference that regularly check out your reports - I like your format. Many reports with too many little-edited videos lose me. Exceptions - ridefreak and liv2day - because those videos are WELL edited. I'm beginning to get back into still photography. I hesitate to do so on moto trips for a couple reasons: 1) It's a huge time suck and 2) I worry the vibration will f*^k up my new, $$$ camera with 5 axis image stabilization kind of like the cameras in some iPhones have been killed by vibes. You've been doing this for awhile - how many cameras have you killed over the years on the moto? I've broken/damaged 2 cameras and a phone just for comparison.
    dave6253, chilejack and DesertSurfer like this.
  10. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A really excellent report. I like the videos. Amazing what a $50 camera can do these days.

Thanks for taking us along.
    dave6253 and DesertSurfer like this.
  11. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No kidding! Realized I don't have a Benchmark Nevada. Fixed.
    dave6253 likes this.
  12. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Like so many others I enjoy your reports immensely @dave6253. Your reports I only read when I have plenty of time to sit and absorb all you have to say, the pics you post, and maps you provide. I often take notes of places you visit that I want to visit myself one day and this report was no exception.

About the video: I like short videos as an extra rather than the main focus. The descriptions and photos are the part I really enjoy and even though I do enjoy short videos they don't replace the old fashioned ride reports. If someone posts just a video about their latest ride, I don't even open it. I think part of it is with photos I can look at them, study them and see the little bits that make it up. In a video it can be stopped but often it goes by a scene that isn't noticed by me when I watch the video.

As far as music or engine sounds in videos, I like a combination. If the engine enhances what is taking place, like a hill climb, then I like it. If it is riding down a stunning trail I like some peppy music or even better yet the rider chatting about what they are seeing and their thoughts. It brings a bit of a personal aspect into it. With that said I did try to watch video a gal created and her endless chatter about nothing and her singing had me turning it off rapidly. I guess what I like is engine sounds, music and a bit of talk. I want it all. :D

Keep the great ride reports coming and I hope one day our paths will cross and I will get to meet you in real life. Be sure to give the Mrs. a huge hug, I suspect she is one terrific lady. :clap
    klaviator, Burro driver and dave6253 like this.
  13. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    It literally only takes a fraction of a second to take a photo. How is that a big time suck? Priorities man!

I've been carrying DSLR's in my tankbag for over a decade now. 3 different DSLRs have survived with no problems. All were Pentax DSLRs. I've heard the mirrorless Sony A7 has a history of not surviving on bikes. I've never killed a camera on a moto. My wife melted a point-n-shoot on the exhaust, but other than that all of my cameras have survived. Hard mounting a cellphone to the bars will screw them up due to excessive vibes. A camera loosely packed in a tankbag isn't as vibey and is quite close to the center of mass of the bike where there will be less affect from pitches, yaws, and rolls. A backpack would be even better to protect a camera from vibes, but not from an unintended dismount, and the camera will be less accessible than from a tankbag.
    ScotsFire, klaviator and jonz like this.
  14. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    Pentax K-1 II is my main camera.
  15. KLRalph

KLRalph Because KTMalph sounds funny

Oddometer:
    My two cents.

I love dave6253's reports, some of the best photography and ride reporting on AdvRider which I (meekly) try to emulate. He goes where I can readily travel (being on the left coast). As far as video goes, @MotoLara utilizing music, voice and ambient sound, I think, epitomizes the use of video. I'm humbled by those that I shamelessly steal ideas from and am grateful not only for the AdvRider community that allows me to lurk and plan my adventures, but for those that I discover that expand my narrow view of this forum and planet.
  16. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    I've had a few requests, so I'm attaching the tracks for this ride here.
    Included are the tracks I did ride, as well as several alternates that I had planned, but did not ride.
    I deleted the boring highways to/from my home.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Thanks for the tracks.
    dave6253 likes this.
  18. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We'll see how they compare to the ones I made from your maps and descriptions. :)
    THX
    dave6253 likes this.
  19. DIESELWRENCH

DIESELWRENCH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I hope that's wrong about the Sony A7
    Hopefully I won't find out the hard way
    dave6253 likes this.
  20. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    Regarding Sony A7s on a bike. It's anecdotal evidence that I only heard about. I have no details on how they were carrying or using them. I see tons of people placing cameras on the rear luggage rack - usually in a pelican case. IMO, this is a terrible idea from a basic physics standpoint for the same reason you would never sit your ass back there while bumping down a trail.
    DIESELWRENCH and DesertSurfer like this.