1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Alone in the Eastern Sierras: A Fall Colors Tour

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by dave6253, Oct 26, 2014.

1. typeamark

typeamark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Incredible photography

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  2. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    I was ready to start the long ride home - dejected - when I looked down and saw this!:clap Now that's what I expect condensation to look like!

[​IMG]

Yippee! The trip is back on!

[​IMG]

I enjoy the ride along Lower Rock Creek.

[​IMG]

What a great morning.

[​IMG]

It was here that I made one of my best decisions of the trip. I almost didn't ride up Pine Creek RD.
    It's not on any of the Fall Colors Guides. In fact, it looks like they may be intentionally covering up this gem.

[​IMG]

A quick check to see everything looks normal. :clap

[​IMG]

And I head up Pine Creek Road.

[​IMG]

With a name like Pine Creek, I expected to find no color here, but I found plenty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look at those awesome mountains!

[​IMG]

The road ended here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I usually tell myself before each trip that I will try getting one pass in front of the camera a day,
    but then never do. It was day 8 before remembering to set it up this trip.

[​IMG]

Pine Creek

[​IMG]........[​IMG]........[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Whew, what a scare!! Glad it was ok!!

:webers
  4. CaliBerger

CaliBerger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great pics!
    There are some good trails south of green creek
    Also some good rides out of mammoth
    Next time
  5. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    Great stuff!!

Couple of options you may be aware of or may want to hit next time:

In Bridgeport area, try the Buckeye road cutting across from 395 to the Twin Lakes Rd. Ride up Buckeye Creek to the end of the road/beginning of Wilderness.

Off of the Green Creek road, at the top, go west up Dunderberg to the end of the trail and take in the bowl down below where Green Creek originates.

At the Bodie pay station, go on through. It's free if you are riding through and not seeing the park. Follow Bodie Creek east to Aurora. Loop back to 395 via Sweetwater or around the north edge of Mono Lake. And/or take the road through Masonic from Bodie north to the Easy Walker River and back to the Sweetwater Rd.

If on the Sweetwater road, check out Risue Canyon road and desert Creek.

From the Bristlecones, take the road down to Laws following Silver Creek.

You obviously need more time and another trip.

Thanks again for the great pics.
  6. AZ Mark

AZ Mark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow Dave... just catching up with this thread.
    All your adventures are a fine example of how a lone-rider sees things differently. ...and of course your capture it with a camera, quite exquisitely if I may say so.
    I know, I know... never ride alone. Heard it many times. However, you'll nearly always catch me alone and my most memorable rides have been solo. I will continue as long as I feel safe and secure doing so...
    Thanks for the ride My Friend :clap :clap :clap
  7. JayElDee

JayElDee not saying what I mean Supporter

Oddometer:
    The magical mystery tour continues! Many thanks

Can you post a map of the area you're riding? Is it mostly side roads from 395 N of yosemite? This swamp boy is trying to figure it out.
    Looks like an amazing area, might need to do it next spring. I have been up to Bodie--and would love to see your shots of it; it's very cool, and over 108, an amazing road, but the places you're seeing are other worldly.

Are you using a neutral density filter to get the long exposure water shots, or does your iso get that slow?

John
  8. Hermy

Hermy Where's this road go?

Oddometer:
    Not sure how I missed this beauty. Thanks for all your work, I really like the tutorials!
  9. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    I found myself back in Bishop around lunch time.
    I knew where I wanted to eat.

[​IMG]

larryboy is right. This place was awesome. They even gave me extra rice, because I declined the soup.

[​IMG]

After filling my belly, I head up Bishop Creek.

[​IMG]

The road ans scenery was enjoyable, but it was a hazy and high-cloudy day.

[​IMG]

The road ended at Lake Sabrina. It looked a little low.

[​IMG]

The color was still great in many places along Bishop Creek.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's hard to notice, but there is a waterfall above these trees.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think this was along South Lake Road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From Big Pine, I checked out Glacier Lodge Road, which goes up Big Pine Creek. I stopped near the top for my last walk in the aspens.

[​IMG]

Big Pine Creek

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    klaviator likes this.
  10. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:

You guys are tough. I was hoping no one noticed I skipped a few trails. :D I wanted to explore many of those spots, but it was a miserable windy couple of days when I was in the area. I also knew Dunderberg was way past peak colors before I started the trip. But you guys are right, I do need to go back.

JayElDee, You are correct. I am mostly doing in and outs off of the 395. I'll post a map of the entire route at the end. I normally do maps for each day, but decided against it for this report, as the routes I chose make very little sense. :norton

Yes I used a 10 stop filter, which allows me to slow the shutter speed to smooth out the water (and also the clouds in upcoming photos.)
  11. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I jump on the 395 and haul ass South. I'm running out of daylight.

[​IMG]

I was interested in visiting the Manzanar National Historic Site, but I didn't have time to stop.

[​IMG]

I took all of these at 80 mph.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I grab a fast-food meal in Lone Pine, then race out to Movie Road in the Alabama Hills.

[​IMG]

BTW, Why name two towns so close together, Big Pine & Lone Pine. It's confusing.

I wasn't sure how to get there, but I found the trailhead parking lot for the Mobius Arch.
    I knew I was in the right place because of all the photographers in the parking lot.

[​IMG]

360 degree view

[​IMG]

I spotted a perfect camping spot just under the left side of these rocks. I rode over to set up camp. Even before I removed my helmet
    I could hear angry voices. I looked back across the road at the parking lot and saw 4-5 cameras on tripods pointed right at me.
    The sun was about to set and they had been planning their perfect shot when I rode into the frame. Ha! ha! I figured most photographers
    aren't as keen to photograph my KTM as I am, so I rode back to the parking lot.

[​IMG]

I met another photographer there that confirmed the others weren't happy when I rode into their picture. :D
    (No one ever thanked me for moving out of their way, so I should have just stayed and stripped naked or something.):kat

[​IMG]

When everyone left, I went back to my spot and set up camp. I read a book while waiting for the stars to come out.

[​IMG]

It was about a half mile hike in the dark to get to the Mobius Arch.

[​IMG]

This rock looks different from every angle. Trying to get a novel view of this iconic shot was difficult.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    klaviator likes this.
  12. RedRockRider

RedRockRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 80 mph pics are very good . . . the arch at night is outstanding! :clap:clap:clap
  13. Gregulator

Gregulator Loves the dirt

Oddometer:
    I can imagine the time you spent sorting through photos, then editing them, then writing the posts. Thanks for taking it, going through the pictures was a fun desk-trip.
  14. jlambo

jlambo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man, those night shots of the arch are crazy amazing Dave! Beautiful....
  15. SparkyL

SparkyL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    By your night shots of the Arch! :clap
    Thanks for your efforts and for sharing.
  16. tomass

tomass Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pine Creek is an awesome spot most people just drive past, you missed the four campsites along the creek across from the spring, we used to camp there for a week at the end of June and then go to the Mammoth MX races. Great ride report and absolutely stunning photos
  17. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    I made sure I was up early enough to hike out to Mobius Arch again...

[​IMG]

...for sunrise! I told you it looks different from every angle.

[​IMG]

A 360 Degree Panorama is like a Mobius - It never ends.:D

[​IMG]

Time to pack up camp...

[​IMG]

...I have some fun places to ride today.

[​IMG]

I run back into town for a fast breakfast. I was just to lazy for camp food this trip.

[​IMG]

I blast back through the Alabama Hills and head up Whitney Portal Road.

[​IMG]

A friendly GS Rider sees a fast KTM and does the right thing - waves me past.:lol3

[​IMG]

Things start getting pretty amazing.

[​IMG]

I park at the end of the road. There wasn't much color left, but water is running everywhere. I can see a return to this area in my near future for some hiking.

A large group of ST riders stopped in the parking lot at the top. One was a silver Aprilia Futura! What's the odds of that?
    I was excited, because I never see another Futura on the road. I pulled up to ask the group who it belonged to. The other riders pointed out the owner,
    but he didn't come across as very friendly, so I left.

[​IMG]..........[​IMG]

One last look at the Whitney Portal area and I enjoy the ride downhill keeping up with a group of sportbikes.

[​IMG]

At the bottom of the hill, I turn back up into the mountains on Horseshoe Meadows Road.

[​IMG]

Now this is fun. How many layers of the road can you see below me here?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought I was all alone, because I had seen no other vehicles on this road, but then I looked up.

[​IMG]

These crazy guys were jumping off a cliff at ~9,000 feet! (Walt's Point)

[​IMG]

That looks fun, but I probably have enough hobbies.

[​IMG]

I found more Bristlecone Pines at the end of Horseshoe Meadows Road.

[​IMG]

I ride back down the hill...

[​IMG]

...and make my way out of the mountains. I stopped in Ridgecrest for a late lunch and to cool down. It was almost triple digit heat again.
    I've heard of a place in the desert nearby I need to check out...
    klaviator likes this.
  18. RedRockRider

RedRockRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, Dave . . . following this one closely . . . excellent riding along . . . thanks for all your effort and skills! :clap
  19. SierraStalker

SierraStalker n00b

Oddometer:
    I wonder if you saw the sign for Fossil Falls just south of Gil Sta Coso rest area. There are a lot of photographic opportunities. Maybe your next visit to the Eastern Sierra. Or maybe Kennedy Meadows road just north of Piersonville, that takes you over to the Kern River, then from Kernville, Sierra Way to 178 and back to 395. You sure didn't miss much on this ride.
  20. acidman1968

acidman1968 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So Dave, did you end up skipping Onion Valley Road out of Independence? :ear

...honestly though, I don't know how any "fall colors" would be up there, because I haven't been up that road for probably 30 years. :rofl

But looking on Google Earth, it looks like it would at least be a fun road to ride!