Alone in the Land of Enchantment

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by dave6253, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Jedi2Rider

Jedi2Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Subscribed :lurk
    dave6253 likes this.
  2. EsconDeasy

EsconDeasy Ectomorph

Oddometer:
    If you went past the ruins near Mountainaire, you went by by dad’s house.....his is the one with the military vehicles just 10 miles north of Mountainaire. Pretty cool
    Ginger Beard and dave6253 like this.
  3. Romero

Romero At Cinépolis or OXXO Supporter

Oddometer:
    Living part time in Santa Fe your RR was awesome!
    Always love your reports
    Would love to ride sometime with you and @larryboy
    As always beautiful photos.
    dave6253, Ginger Beard and larryboy like this.
  4. BigDogRaven

BigDogRaven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fantastic as usual Dave, The Badger pics.........:clap
    Sorry if you answered before, but what is the tracking app of the screenshots? Very cool app.
    dave6253 likes this.
  5. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    Good stuff! Thanks for another choice report!
    dave6253 likes this.
  6. Bird Man

Bird Man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Really enjoyed your report and the pictures were superb. Your report held special interest for me because on finding your report I discovered a friend and I were only about 7-10 days behind you riding the route. It was so fun reading and looking at your pics and remembering virtually ever spot you took pictures of, many of which I took pictures of also but with much less picture quality. We also found our selves at Fence Lake near the end of the day, we were tired and didn't even consider opting out of some of the route (we were determined to ride every inch of it) so we camped behind the old school house , no one seemed to mind and I know some of the locals saw us. Our experience in Grants was much better than yours ,stayed at the dated Sands motel but didn't mind, and had a hot shower. In one section , the open range one with all the gates and buttes, we saw muddy tracks of a motorcycle and two bicyclists , was thankful it was dry when we passed though. There was no snow in the higher elevations near the end by the time we went through. The road by the stream near the end ,the guy told you was washed out but really just had water on it , the water had gone down and we rode through on dry stones.
    dave6253 likes this.
  7. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    I’ve developed a technique for going through your reports now, because they’ve become so deep and rich with content. And I really need to go through them multiple times to appreciate them in their entirety.

First I concentrate on the maps and read the story while quickly browsing the photos as I go along, making sure I’m paying attention to the route, the maps and the end of day trip details. I find the mileage, distance and elevations very telling as I kind of load the landscape into my head.

I do like how brief you write which allows me to wrap my head around the routes and the ride although any added descriptions in each day are a plus.

I use the photos the first time around for orientation and peruse through them quickly once I get the gist of the composition. The difficulty of the terrain is what I focus on to get the idea of the remoteness and fragility of the moments and the tracks.

My first thoughts are how I would compare with my bike and gear. And where my confidence might waver and why, which adds to the excitement.

Usually when I get to the end of your reports I feel that solemness of an end, which is why I scan through the photos quickly the first time through... knowing I’ll be doing my next photo pass to absorb the artistic aspect of the report.

A few days will pass and as I go through the report it still feels fresh... but I swap over to a quick scan through the text to orient myself where I’m at in the story. And I really soak in the photography.

The composition of the images are so well balanced within the frame as nothing stands out that could be improved. And I could go on and on about your photography but they need no intros.

Your choice of bikes are always going to be on my wish list ( or I own) so it sucks me right into the pictures. And you have a nack for finding the best angles that mystify them.

You find that great balance for documenting the trip and using an artistic style to represent it... as if it were almost a fantasy at times and not reality. Especially the nighttime shots.

And I get the impression that you value the readers time as you don’t doodle around with repetition. Your photos multitask in their purpose. They move me along as well as show beauty or rawness of the moment.

There’s also a cool, lonely subtext that I relate to and enjoy about your reports. As if these rides are a sacred sanctuary where you can document and create your experience in your private space. I prefer most often to my adventure riding solo. And I embrace that opportunity to feel lonely, isolated and alone... away from the constant pulls from society.

And later on I’ll go through one of your ride reports when I’m tied down with work and need a mental break. Within a few photos and lines of text I’m transported away and of all my stress is removed.

Another fine ride report to add to your list.
  8. RobBD

RobBD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report and awesome photos - Thank you
    dave6253 likes this.
  9. misterk

misterk Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    excellent report, thanks for sharing your skills!
    dave6253 likes this.
  10. karter18

karter18 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brilliant photography and great ride report. Thank you for the extra effort to post it up.
    dave6253 likes this.
  11. DittyBag

DittyBag A bag of dirty stuff

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dave. I hope that you can realize how valuable these are to me, and probably a great many of us.
    DesertSurfer, Jedi2Rider and dave6253 like this.
  12. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA Supporter

Oddometer:
    Found this RR today @dave6253 while researching the NMBDR. I live in T or C and am planning to ride the NMBDR soon. Sure I've ridden a lot of it already, around here and north in the Rio Puerco and Jemez, but never the whole enchilada. I don't think I could ever duplicate your quality of photography but you sure present a fine example of good shooting. I especially liked your badger encounter. I've never seen one in New Mexico. I have seen a coatimundi on Chloride Creed as well as turkey and deer. This place has it all. Anyway thank you for taking the time to post this RR up. I'm going to go look for some more from you.
    twowings, dave6253, Uke and 1 other person like this.
  13. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, @duggram ! I've seen coatimundis in AZ, and even a gila monster recently, but have never been able to snsg a pic of those yet. Have fun out there. New Mexico was awesome.
  14. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed this so much----me and 2 buddies made a loop out of this ride a few years ago when it was first posted--------we rode Sam Correo's Shadow of the Rockies route (the New Mexico version) South and the NMBDR North. Made an excellent loop. I also was on my 690----before it blew up at a mere 18,000 miles:lol3
    If you get bored under quarantine you can read that story here Dave:
    http://www.bigdogadventures.com/NMBDR2016.htm
    Thanks.
    BD
    bomose, dave6253 and Uke like this.
  15. fitzPA

fitzPA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I never get tired of reading ride reports from "Out West". I've been out there 6 or 7 times and
    always been blown away by the scenery - completely different to the East Coast.

I was supposed to go out there again this past spring but...... well we all know what happened.

Thanks for sharing your trip report, I was out in NM 3? years ago and drove (in a car) from Dell
    City to Ruidozo; I was checking out the route before riding it. Plan is to go out there next Dec-Feb;

I get inspired by these types of reports and reading the adventure of BigDog and Cannonshot,
    among other.

Keep them coming....
    dave6253 and Uke like this.
  16. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    @dave6253

gidday fella - hope this ‘current situation’ not affecting you too badly.

do you still have that kinky to the list of your RR’s?

I’d hate to miss any new ones..

take care

Shane
    dave6253 likes this.
  17. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
  18. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    My second time through this report and I enjoyed it as much or more than the first perusal. I especially paid more attention to the photos as I just purchased my first really nice camera in a few decades - a Panasonic Lumix G9. I'm not sure I'm going to haul it along on a lot of rides but will take it on a few where I'm at least as interested in photographs as riding. I have a photo question for you regarding your panorama shots. I have a Samsung S8 and I still prefer that for panoramas vs using the photostitch features at least in the past with multiple camera shots. My camera bundle included Paintshop Pro 2020 and I haven't used the photostitch feature I assume is included. I've also just been shooting jpegs so far and as time allows, I'll start experimenting with RAW format shots. How do you do your panoramas?
  19. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    Just use your cellphone. Probably much easier than what I've been doing for reports. I was shooting RAW with either my small Olympus micro-four-thirds camera, or my full frame camera. I was then stitching them in Microsoft ICE (freeware). Time-consuming, but probably necessary when I also want to do bracketed exposures. I'm now carrying a cellphone and a Panasonic Lumix FZ400. Both can stitch the panos in-camera making the process much easier. If I wanted to do a panorama with my big camera now, I'd probably stitch them together in Lightroom Classic. For a big sunset scene with a wide dynamic range, I'll still do the work to stitch them the old way, but for most panos throughout the day, they can be done faster and easier in-camera.
    WDG, jonz and Shaggie like this.
  20. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    dave6253 likes this.