Alone in the Land of Enchantment

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by dave6253, Jun 30, 2019.

1. ppfeifer

ppfeifer Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Dave,
    Really enjoyed your pictures (especially the badgers). I thought you did a wonder job of capturing the beauty and diversity of NM. I think you could get some great pictures on the Camino del Diablo and I saw a video of the ride up the Hualapai Moutains south of Kingman that looks pretty cool, I'll work it into my route.
    Here's a loop in AZ you can try sometime. https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-arizona-lasso-the-perimeter-trail-of-arizona.1188057/
    dave6253 likes this.
  2. shadman

shadman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great pictures. If you need a companion for future endeavors, I live about 5 miles from you (happy valley), with a workshop full of ADV and dual sport bikes ready to escape the PHX heat!
    dave6253 likes this.
  3. ridenm

ridenm Missing my emotional support squirrel Supporter

Oddometer:
    Doug and everyone else, just FYI, if you spot a coati mundi and get a good picture, the Department of Game and Fish would like to hear about it, especially in more northern parts of the state.
    http://magazine.wildlife.state.nm.us/out-of-range/
    The shaded area shows their normal range in NM.

[​IMG]
    duggram and zipweee like this.
  4. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comment. That shaded area isn't far from Chloride Creek. Now if only I could get one to stand still. That guy was moving out. I like the idea reporting and would definitely follow up.
    ridenm likes this.
  5. 230Rocket

230Rocket Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Loved this report. Favourite picture for me is the one of the bike next to a busy road, interstate (?), with the red tail lights all streaked out. Coz who the hell ever wants to go home after an epic ride!
    dave6253 likes this.
  6. jwc

jwc Ready to go Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great photos.
    Thanks for posting
    dave6253 likes this.
  7. cementhead

cementhead Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great RR! Sure do miss New Mexico. Thanks for posting it.
    dave6253 likes this.
  8. frizzen

frizzen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great pix and report. Gonna have to get my ass out of the chair and on the saddle. It's 75 miles or so to Dell City for me.
    dave6253 likes this.
  9. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just saw this a few days ago. Great report and pics.

I had never seen a badger before and would never have know that was one.

Most of section 5 that you missed is nice but ordinary. But there is one really nice section north of NM 53 in the NF on primitive roads thru a bunch of mines. That is where probably the 2nd most iconic pic of the BDR is of a vertical mine with the bars across the top.

We have also done a some trips out of the Sands Motel in Grants. For me it is the ideal motorcycle motel. And it is adjacent to the Grants Cafe, a good place to eat if still open.

New Mexico is kind of notorious for ranchers putting vague No Trespassing signs of public roads thru public lands. IMHO if the gate is not locked and I think I might be on a public road, I just go thru.

There are several places where the county road goes right thru some rancher's front yard with gates on either side. They will let you thru, but tend to be a bit rude about it.
    WDG, dave6253 and duggram like this.
  10. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    Just remember to leave gates like you found them and leave only tire tracks and take only photos.
    Zubb likes this.