Alone in the Oregon Outback - 7 Days of Solo

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by liv2day, Jun 19, 2020.

1. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    Agree with the others. The trailer vid is not at all wasted time. As always, it’s well put together. Nice use of the different transitions between segments. Your choice of fades versus cuts is spot on for the different spots. I’ll have to play with that more.
  2. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks @ScotsFire! It's always tough to get transitions timed well against the music, scenery, having the clip get stagnant playing too long, etc. Be nice if we had a limitless library of music to choose from - even better if scores could be created specifically for the vids :D

I've already found myself wishing I captured more footage to work with, but think that's always the case.

Glad you enjoyed it, thoroughly enjoyed the vids from your Baja/MX trip before the world went pear-shaped.
  3. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    I’ve got a bunch of video to produce from last month’s trip to Moab, some from recently near Salmon ID, and even some from Mexico in March. Things ought to slow down in a couple weeks (after a bit of IDBDR this weekend and next in the Big Horns of WY).

I also am often wishing for more footage, then remid myself to be more draconian in what I edit out. Seems that often, “less is more.”
    liv2day likes this.
  4. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    I for 1 enjoyed your report. I want to get up there someday. Looking forward to seeing more video.
    Topcop45 likes this.
  5. svo_jon

svo_jon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another one who is loving your ride report. I live in bend and have yet to visit SE Oregon. Your trip is inspiring, thanks for the effort.

Jonathan
  6. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks much @dave6253, having followed several of your reports and been incredibly inspired by your photography and report crafting, I appreciate it. Your most recent trip to the Big Empty has firmly planted the desire to get back down there and ride it again; possibly even making it a long one in going far further south than I would have originally.
  7. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @svo_jon! Man, I envy your proximity. I have a good track that'll take you from Bend through Christmas Valley and land you in Summer Lake if you ever want to do a long weekend. I think it'd be nirvana to jump on the bike and head south from home like that.

Appreciate you following along :thumb
  8. liv2day

Oddometer:
    I started getting a timeline together for the first day's video and in scrubbing through the drone footage captured during the day, decided to craft an aerial video as I had so much drone footage. Planning to get something longer put together combining all the gopro and drone footage, but pretty happy with how this turned out.

9. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Time to get the last day's ride documented. Today's route would take me down to the Warner Valley basin where I'd head north and then cut west. At least, that's what the track I'd laid out had me doing.

I was up a bit later than usual, the sun had already crested the horizon. But it was still early enough that none of the other campers were about, so I decided to take advantage of it and soak in the hot springs in solitude - who knew when I'd be back. Enjoyed a cup of coffee in the hot springs and then back to camp to pack up and filter some water for the day's ride.

Another beautiful day in the Oregon Outback - not a cloud in the sky...but it was getting damn hot :lol2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the intersection for the main road is a small compound, a couple of pretty neat looking houses and the Hart Mountain BLM building. I had ridden by this house a couple times and thought it was pretty cool - like the stone work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The main road that takes you down from Hart Mountain to the basin floor is an easy affair, graded gravel wide enough for a semi. I took advantage of the lack of traffic and got the the drone out for some video and aerial shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd noticed a pull out for a Warner Valley overlook the day before when I went to Plush to get fuel and beer, so I decided to stop and do the short hike. It was well worth it - fantastic views of the valley running north to south.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think the history of this place is incredible - it's hard to fathom this whole valley was a 360 foot deep lake 10,000 years ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The track I plotted would take me north on the eastern side of the lakes from the shots above. It started out fantastic, fun two-track bombing right next to the lakes. Unfortunately, after riding 10 or 12 miles, the track that was supposed to head west didn't appear...just more wetlands to my west.

Fack.

I back tracked to Camp Hart Mountain to get in some shade and take a look at possible options. I knew I could get back across the valley using the same gravel road I'd taken to get to Plush almost a week ago, but didn't want to do so as that was boring.

Some shots from Camp Hart Mountain - pretty cool camp spot for those that want to experience the basin, but not make the trek up the mountain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a big bonus of this CG...they had potable water. Topping off my hydration pack would be come important later on in the ride.

I found an alternate way across the basin, but this would take me to the main thoroughfare from Hwy 395 to Plush. I didn't want to take the same route I'd started on, but figured an opportunity might present itself along the way.

[​IMG]

Last view of Hart Mountain and the range I'd appreciate for awhile.

[​IMG]

As I was making my way along the gravel super highway known as Hogsback road, I noticed a track heading off to the north. Stopped to take a look at Gaia and sure enough, I could follow this track that hooked with another track that would hook with yet another track and it'd get me back on my track...lol. What the hell, might as well give it a go.

This trailer needs a little TLC, but it'll be road-ready again in no time.

[​IMG]

Ahh, now this is what I'm talking about.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had another intimidating animal encounter as I made my way back to my original track. Pulled up to a gated area and what I thought was a cow ended up being a bull. This big mofo was standing at the other end of the gate and didn't move a muscle as I approached. I warily jumped off the left side of my bike, keeping it between me and him. He watched me the whole time, shifting slightly to more directly opposed to me. I slowly undid the gate, pushed my bike through, and then hooked that damn barbwire back as fast as I possibly could. Goofy bull just shifted around to watch me the whole time, I was certain he would rush the gate to try and get to all the ladies on the other side. But he didn't.

Some of this track wasn't very fun, embedded baby heads and the cattle had turned the track into bumpy hell. It was slow going, but I eventually made my way to the road that would drop me down to the next valley where the Alkali lake laid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another playa way out there, wonder if I'd be crossing it.

[​IMG]

I made my way down and started out across this valley. The riding was in a sandy mixture that was sometimes soft and sometimes hard packed, made for a very twitchy front end and really not so much fun.

I did stumble across this nice place for sale, wonder why they haven't had any takers.

[​IMG]

Kept heading west in this sandy crap and then the track I was riding disappeared. Like gone, and I was riding in some odd form of dunes with sage and no discernible path heading west.

Fack.

Spent the next 45 minutes or so tracking north and south trying to find a way out, all the time hitting my hydration tube as it was frickin' hot and slow riding. After screwing about for far too long, I noticed my hydration pack was empty. Crap, that's not good. I'd already added the 2 liters I'd filtered from the morning and I was now out of water. Did not think I'd be consuming so much water and I still had 1/4 of the ride left to get back to Summer Lake.

Damn...
  10. trailwerks

trailwerks Missing Two Wheels Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cue the ominous music of the classic cliffhanger.....will liv2day ever be seen again? But wait, he posted....therefore he lives (for 2day and another day). Just kidding!

Killer ride report!!!! Love the type of solitude and desolation featured. We just got back from a 2800 mile loop through OR and WA but didn't spend quality time in the empty quarter like you did. I have already downloaded your tracks for future ride compilations. A most excellent addition to all that fuels the ADV fire! Well done.
    liv2day likes this.
  11. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @trailwerks! Damn man, 2800 miles through OR and WA...haven't checked, but hoping we'll see a RR for that one? Imagine it was a great ride, let me know if you have any questions about the tracks.
  12. liv2day

Oddometer:
    As @trailwerks noted, I didn't perish in that damn sand trap :lol2 :lol2 . After screwing around for far too long, I rode back to where I saw my tracks in the sand and followed them back to Hwy 395. Wasn't happy about admitting defeat, but was too hot and thirsty to keep looking for a way west.

I knew there was a rest stop along Hwy 395 and hoped to get some water and find some shade to figure out if there was an alternate route that'd connect me back to my original route. As luck would have it, the rest stop didn't have any running water :doh :doh. I did find some shade though.

[​IMG]

After parking and getting off my bike, a fellow traveler doing the RV thing walked over to chat and noticed me checking the spigots that weren't producing anything resembling H20. He asked if I needed water...yes please! Filled my hydration pack and wished me safe travels :-) :-)

I took some time looking at my maps and decided to just get back on the same track that I'd started east on 7 days ago. I'll find a return track to the north at some point.

Even back tracking offered some great views.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rode into the quaint town of Paisley and hit the mercantile for a couple of gatorade's and some chex mix.

[​IMG]

With some of the electrolytes replenished, I took the short ride north to Summer Lake. It took me all of a couple milliseconds to decide that the desire to put my tent up was non-existent, I proceeded to the office and talked to the owner about renting one of the small cabins. Luckily, he had one that was being remodeled and gave it to me for a discount. Didn't bother me in the least as I didn't need a sink or countertop.

[​IMG]

Essentially threw all my crap into the cabin - looked like an adv yard sale. Jumped in my truck to head back to Paisley to grab some beer and a burger-to-go from the saloon next door to the mercantile.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And that's a wrap on the ride. I need to calculate my actual mileage, but believe it was in the neighborhood of 1100 miles.

I have some shots from the next morning I'll add and also a bunch of videos to come if you wonder why this RR resurfaces down the road.

Appreciate all the comments and everyone following along :-) :-) :-)
  13. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Something wrong with that picture? Only one bottle of beer in sight? Say it is not so? Well done and well documented.
  14. liv2day

Oddometer:
    :lol3 :lol3 :lol3. He had 5 brothers waiting in the small cooler I'd hauled out with me @chudzikb :D You should have seen me trying to cram the ice in that small cooler from the stupid $4 bag I bought to keep them cold.

Appreciate all the comments along the way man, stay tuned for the vids if you have the patience :-)
  15. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Always good for the wrap up videos! Takes a crazy amount of time to get them right, and for that, we thank you!
    outbacktm and liv2day like this.
  16. R1blade75

R1blade75 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hats off to you sir. Great ride and documented pictures!
    liv2day likes this.
  17. tag3

tag3 Doofus

Oddometer:
    Inland from the coast of Santa Cruz and Trona.
    Thanks for the read.
    liv2day likes this.
  18. Long Trail

Long Trail ADV Willing

Oddometer:
    Excellent read! Thanks for the great write up, photos, videos, and effort putting this all together. From this RR alone I now have great desire to make it out to that section of the world and explore. I'm glad after a few failed attempts you were able to conquer it.
    liv2day likes this.
  19. roktbox

roktbox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wil say that whatever he / we / us get into then he / we / us always get out of ....... :lol3 He does have a certain reputation to uphold and to date that inlcudes "no man left behind."
    liv2day likes this.
  20. roktbox

roktbox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice ........ Trusty old "Fat Amy". All fluffy and pillowy in her adventuring outfit.
    liv2day likes this.