Alone in the Oregon Outback - 7 Days of Solo

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by liv2day, Jun 19, 2020.

1. DragonJoe

DragonJoe Don’t know whatcha don’t know Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the RR. After last years TAT report, I can appreciate the effort. Especially drone footage or video at all. That is so much more to manage. Glad some are willing to do it. I left my DR in WA and will be out in August for WABDR and IDBDR solo it appears. Purchased A WR250R this spring and enjoying it here in Virginia.
    I put a 14/49 sprocket combo on. What are you running? Looks like a 606 on the rear too.
    liv2day likes this.
  2. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks @DragonJoe! I thoroughly enjoyed your TAT report last year, one of the memorable RRs I've read. I went back to stock gearing on the little mule when I did chain and sprockets before the CABDR in March, don't recall what it is (13/47 maybe?). And that tire on there is the Tusk adv tire...won't do that again on the small bike. It wears well, but it was by far the worst tire I've ever had to mount and I did not like how it behaved on the bike, I'll be going back to my trusty Pirelli Rallycross.

Have a great time on the BDRs! My buds did the WABDR while I was on this and had a great time. Both are on my list to ride down the road.
    DragonJoe likes this.
  3. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Decided to stay up last night and put together an aerial perspective of day 2 :D :D

mnTwin, JP4, BCBackRoads and 6 others like this.
  4. RacingBlue

RacingBlue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome RR, I was just able to catch up. Now I'm excited to see all those videos when they're done.
    liv2day likes this.
  5. fbgomergurard

fbgomergurard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice RR, your bike is set up similar to my LRP, I'd like to ride that area maybe starting in Modoc Country in Nor Cal. Went through some of Eastern Oregon on the TAT, wanted to divert down to Steens.

Attached Files:

liv2day likes this.
  6. danc1957

danc1957 n00b

Oddometer:
    Wow! Definitely an add to my bucket list!
    liv2day likes this.
  7. SirBikeALot

SirBikeALot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just finished this ride report and really enjoyed it. Great photos, cool videos and the way you tell the story ... great stuff!
    But I think that area would be too "dead" for me. Just almost-desert for miles and miles ... I'd feel lost and helpless and afraid, probably.
    liv2day likes this.
  8. PvtPts

PvtPts Wanderer in training

Oddometer:
    As another BC'er I second this - I love riding with friends, but also occasionally solo - pros & cons to both and we have no shortage of places to go. Covid has really forced me to think about my own backyard and it's frankly epic. Enjoying this thread!!!!
    liv2day likes this.
  9. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Appreciate the comments @SirBikeALot, glad you enjoyed the report. See you're in Austria, I'd love to hit Erzberg one of these years and participate in the festivities there. It's amazing watching Graham, Johnny, and the others ride the iron giant - skills I'll never have...lol.

With respect to riding in the desert; it's funny you mention it. I was of a similar opinion until I had an opportunity to ride Death Valley in 2016. Living where I do is incredibly green with huge trees in the forests. I didn't think I'd like riding the desert as I loved riding single track and trail riding in the coastal range.

Then I did so and have now been back to Death Valley several times as well a multiple trips to this part of Oregon and have a strong appreciation for what the desert offers. It's definitely not dead nor even close to it; the trailer video I posted captured one of the most stunning animal encounters I've had in that mustang running full-tilt at me.

I'll say it's an acquired taste and likely not for everyone; but the lack of humanity, open sky and mind-boggling scenery have kindled a fire that won't go out.

Enough rambling, appreciate you following along and glad you enjoyed the report. If you find yourself with an opportunity to ride the high desert...jump at it :-) :-)
  10. Jedi2Rider

Jedi2Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much for this report. Really enjoyed it.

Grew up in Medford, and traveled through Lakeview -- Denio -- Winemucca to/from college many times. I loved/respected the remoteness out there, and have always wanted to go do a ride-about. Your report is the first I've seen for the area, and it confirms my hunch that the area is just epic for remote exploration.

Major Domo to you.
    liv2day likes this.
  11. Dessert Storm

Dessert Storm Dances With Drunks

Oddometer:
    Fantastic ride, report, photos, and video! :clap Loved the drone footage.

Thanks for taking the trouble to put this all together. Cheers :beer
    liv2day likes this.
  12. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Damn @Jedi2Rider - you're a long way from home if it's Japan now. Envious of you growing up and traveling that route; highway 140 heading east is something to see. And you're right - that part of the US is fantastic for dual-sport exploration. I'm looking forward to when I have more time to get into NV and experience the big empty again; and then head northeast and get into Idaho.

Appreciate the comments and glad you enjoyed the report, have more video coming...still need to get through days 3-7 on that front :D
    Jedi2Rider likes this.
  13. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @Dessert Storm! Glad to have you along and that you enjoyed it, stay tuned for more aerial footage and per-day vids :ricky :ricky
  14. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Had some time to get a video sorted for the 2nd day :D :D

bomose, Ginger Beard, georet and 2 others like this.
  15. tundradirtbiker

tundradirtbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I liked the gate guy. Was that on Buckeroo before the double gated hunter's cabin?
  16. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @tundradirtbiker! That rancher was below the hunter's cabin - the only human I saw from Fischer to Fields :D. He saw me coming down the road and hung out holding the gate open for me :thumb :thumb
  17. Rinty

Rinty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for an exceptional trip report, liv. I spent many enjoyable hours reading it and it brought back memories of touring in the area with my late brother and late wife.

Your video editing skills are impressive.
    liv2day likes this.
  18. georet

georet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great report all around! Good pics & videos. Loved seeing the badger at the end of the Day 2 video.
    liv2day likes this.
  19. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Wow, thanks @Rinty :-) :-). Hopefully, your losses weren't recent and the memories triggered brought smiles and not grief. It is a wonderful area of Oregon, I'm glad you enjoyed the report and hope you get to visit again some day.
    Dessert Storm likes this.
  20. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @georet! I wondered who'd comment about that badger at the end of the vid, wondered if folks would actually catch the clip as the main video fades.

Don't recall if I commented on that encounter when I wrote about the 2nd day? This was after Shirk Ranch as I made my way east toward Fields. Just riding along a section of rough 2-track and in the right lane is this momma badger and her little one. Another missed opportunity with the camera :doh. That Mom badger stood off against me; flattened her shoulders out to make herself look larger and was hissing and all teeth. I went to grab my camera out of the tank bag and she bolted, it was then I realized she did so to give her little one time to bolt too (at least, that's what I believe). I hit record on the gopro and jumped off track to at least get some video since I failed with the still.

I was certain Mom was going to chase me down and attack from my blind side. Thought about circling back to try and get some stills, but figured I'd messed up their day enough as it was, so I kept riding :-)
    Jedi2Rider likes this.