Alone in the Oregon Outback - 7 Days of Solo

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by liv2day, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    Loved this RR and the addition of these vids as a visual "replay" are fantastic! :beer
    liv2day likes this.
  2. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just went through this well written RR and enjoyed the scenery very much! I have ridden in OR, but mainly in the coastal area and not as much inland as I now realize I should have..
    Well done!:clap
    liv2day likes this.
  3. slacker1965

slacker1965 .....no matter where you go......

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing liv..... I lived in Bend for awhile, but never spent any time in SE Or. Now on bucket list!
    liv2day likes this.
  4. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Ginger Beard - appreciate it and glad you're still hanging around; hoping to not let cobwebs build on this thing as I stumble my way through getting the videos done. Damn work and life keeps getting in the way :lol2

@rider1150gsadv & @slacker1965 - thanks for the comments and really glad you liked the report! Rider - get yourself back to OR and hit the Outback, not only is it completely different than the coast (which is amazing in its own right), but I guarantee it's very different than the Atlantic coast of FL (assume that's what Ft. Likkertail is...which made me ROFL by the way). And slacker, living in Bend would be sweet and this would have been just out your backyard - could ride from China Hat to Christmas Valley and then start an Outback adventure...be one hell of a rip; especially if you dipped into NV. I'd like to take 2 weeks and do something like that :D
    slacker1965 and rider1150gsadv like this.
  5. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^ Yes Ft Likkertail is the Atlantic side of Florida....:-)
    I wish I had the time again to do rides like that. I have been fortunate in the past to have done some epic 7-8 week runs through the USA, but as you know there are so many roads/trails and so little time.. So I am now vicariously riding along with RR's like yours..:D
    liv2day likes this.
  6. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Looked through the drone footage from day 3 and put together a short vid. Had to laugh as I sorted through the clips, the stupid drone was giving me a hell of a time with active track - 2/3rds of the clips were the drone hovering while I rode away. Stop, fly it to me, and repeat. Stupid thing - DJI really needs to up their game with that feature; they also need to bring the dynamic home point feature to this version; that's a serious PIA. But I digress. I did get it to work for a solid ~3 minute clip, so you'll see it spliced among the rest of the aerial footage.

ChongLi, mnTwin, shasta650 and 4 others like this.
  7. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some seriously bad assed country you got on video sir!
    ChongLi and liv2day like this.
  8. CWOPinger

CWOPinger n00b

Oddometer:
    Great RR and videos. Another area I’ve got to get up to when I retire in a little over a year. One slight difference, I’ll be making the trip in a Tacoma. Any problem doing this in a 4x4?
  9. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @chudzikb! Glad you’re still checking in, hoping to get the 3rd day video spliced together this weekend. Some good clips as I rode east :D
  10. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Glad you enjoyed it @CWOPinger!

As to doing the route in a 4x4, wouldn’t recommend multiple sections. Off the top of my head, there were tracks each day that would suck in something with 4 wheels. Could be done, but I wouldn’t take my truck. Climb up Fischer canyon, climb up from Juniper spring, descent to the Owyhee, most of the tracks east of the Alvord, climb up the east side of the Steens, climb up Moonhill rd, tracks I took off Hogsback my last day of riding. Honestly, the tracks are really meant for a bike, and not a big bike at that unless your the Chris Birch type :-).

Definitely not my place to say, but I’d advise against it in a cage.
    CWOPinger likes this.
  11. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Went a little long with the video from day 3, had a stretch of gopro video I really liked as it was riding across one of the plateaus and then down - the views were incredible. I remember being at ~7300 feet at one point, then dropping down several thousand feet to the next valley before continuing east to the Owyhee.

Looking back at the video made me remember this was one of the great days of riding, even with a few navigational issues and some seriously rough track.

VDG, tundradirtbiker and mnTwin like this.
  12. chudzikb

Oddometer:
    Well, my kids picked up on the lyrics of that first song! Hummm...
    Otherwise, great video and effort.
  13. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Doh, sorry about that @chudzikb, should have warned about the lyrics :doh :doh I like Korn (and Jonathan Davis), but forgot about the first song being not safe for little ears - or work.

For others...recommend headphones if you're going to watch the vids :eek7 :eek7
  14. chudzikb

Oddometer:
    No worries, they are college kids, just like pointing it out to their old man.
    Jedi2Rider and liv2day like this.