Alone in the Oregon Outback - 7 Days of Solo

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by liv2day, Jun 19, 2020.

1. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Finally took some time to get a video crafted for the 6th day; chose an older Tool song before checking the footage I had to work with. So, the clips are longer than I normally like, but it's a good watch if you have ~9 minutes to spare.

2. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Still struck by the emptiness of it all. Just a big fat nothing out there.
  3. tag3

tag3 Doofus

Oddometer:
    Inland from the coast of Santa Cruz and Trona.
    You're not looking close enough.
  4. Jedi2Rider

Jedi2Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dat for sure! You've got to experience it to believe it. It is way way out there...and I've only done it by car so far! Definitely looking forward to doing it on a bike and recommend it for folks really wanting to challenge themselves by being very isolated and remote. I've stopped out there for lunch on the highway and maybe one car will pass in 30 minutes, which means I was the only human in a 30 mile+ radius. A unique feeling.
    Ginger Beard, tjzondrz and liv2day like this.
  5. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Frickin' great stuff! I'm gonna have to go back through it again. Such a sweet report. Thanks a million! Cheers!
    liv2day and Jedi2Rider like this.
  6. Rustyrodknocker

Rustyrodknocker n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting this. It pushed me to register on the site. I have read it over the years, but I'm not a adventure guy, I just like motorcycles. I searched Oregon threads looking for something to go explore before the weather turns.

This RR brought back a lot of memories as I grew up in the region. I rode dirt bikes and hunted and just explored in that area. Been gone 25 years now, I only get back every couple years for Christmas but we usually make it out to Plush and Adel.

They didn't call it the back country then, those signs started popping up about the time we left when tourism went from not necessarily wanted by all, to needed. Hence the move away. I hope to spend a week out there sometime on my xr650l or whatever bike it is at the time. I have not been in a hot spring in almost 3 decades. It's time, now that my body will appreciate it!
  7. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Hey @Rustyrodknocker - thanks for the kind words; humbling to know you joined this asylum because of the report :-) :-).

It's interesting to know the scenic byway signs and other touristy stuff wasn't around back when you were exploring the area; I would have liked to experience it back then; but have to admit I'm a transplant from the midwest who moved here in '96. I hope it stays remote and rugged and doesn't turn into anything like Bend. I've grown quite fond of Plush over the last few years; same for Fields.

Enjoy getting back over there on whatever ride you have; it's a wonderful place to ride. And yeah - ending a day's ride by soaking in a hot spring is one of those luxuries I'll take each and every time.

Again, appreciate the comments and glad you enjoyed the RR.
    flying.moto and Rustyrodknocker like this.
  8. ThePod

ThePod Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good to see you posting and making a successful attempt Brad. Aron, Paul and I are going to do a second attempt of the Cascade Discovery Route in a few weeks. Attempt #1 was foiled by a battery that went belly up 50 miles outside of Bend. Second times a charm, no whammies!!!!!
    Ginger Beard and liv2day like this.
  9. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Good to see you alive and kickin' @ThePod! You guys planning to post a report on the CDR? Going to start in Hood River and follow the entire thing south? Have a blast man, glad to see you guys are still out getting it done.
    ThePod likes this.
  10. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Made time to get a video together for the final day's ride...

11. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    On second thought, not sure I want to ride there, too many crowds and development that you are showing me! Excellent effort, glad you got to relive it through your videos.
    Ginger Beard and liv2day like this.
  12. FIRE UP

FIRE UP n00b

Oddometer:
    Well Gang,
    I just got to this magnificent thread/post/writeup and, I gotta tell ya, I envy the heck out of anyone who's able and willing to take on this kind of adventure. To me, it just don't get any better. I'm 67, soon to be 68 and, been married for over 34 years and for me to do something like this presentation, well, pretty sure it just CAN'T happen. Not that I don't want to, I'd do it in a heart beat if I'd have maybe one to maybe two or three other riders 'cause, that's about the only way my wife would allow it 'cause, she'd be worried (and does) if and/or when, I venture out alone on dirt stuff. Annnnnywaaaaay, I'd like to make a comment that may, or may not piss off SOME folks here. What I see in about 99.99999999% of the road/trail etc. is a smoooooooth road. One that has not been torn up by SIDE X SIDES!

I don't know how many of those the OP ran into in this venture but, they seem to be all over the planet. And a great deal of the drivers don't have a lot of respect for just about anything or anyone else on the trail/roads. But, what I saw, from the pics, was really, really nice and smooth roads etc. that made for what appears to be some really pleasant back country adventuring and riding. That's my kind-a fun. I really, really appreciate the OP's taking the time to photograph each and every spot/water hole/lake/mountain/valley/gully/snow pack/rock outcropping/tank (water) and whole lot more.

And, what's this business with the "chair"? What, you're not a TRUE adventurist if you haul around a chair? Well, that's a bunch of bull to me. Just because the cowboys in the cowboy days didn't carry a chair on their horse, (not a lot of *fold up* chairs back then), doesn't mean us modern folk can't. I couldn't survive without some form of a chair. If all this is just jabbing at the OP, well forget all of what I said.

The pleasantness of being out and about, without a MASK, in territory without houses, freeways, 7-11's, (although a Slurpee on a hot day is always tasty), without 18 wheelers bearing down on you, and a whole lot more, is priceless to me. I thank you again for presenting your experience(s) and logging so I and everyone else can enjoy.
    Scott
  13. Franque

Franque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That might be a reference to @Joe Motocross ' threads. If you're not familiar, check them out. Also, the mask thing (in populated areas) is a measure to keep everyone safe!
    outbacktm and liv2day like this.
  14. FIRE UP

FIRE UP n00b

Oddometer:
    If you're commenting to me, not sure what the @ Joe Motocross threads are or is. My post was in reference to the multi-page report on the Oregon outback. As for the mask thing, well, it is what it is, still a pain in the A....
    Scott
  15. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    I don't mind the SXS's and ATVs and jeepish SUVs too much, except for getting stuck behind a long line of them or meeting one head-on on a curve. They get people out and are good family fun and they are here to stay. The best way to avoid them is to get on single track that is just not doable on 4 wheels or even a good, washed out 2 track. We can all band together as OHVers to keep areas open for our use.

According to the dogma of the ADV-F head Profit, @JoeMotocross, "you always have a chair with you as long as there is a front wheel on your motorcycle!" :rofl
    outbacktm, Joe Motocross and liv2day like this.
  16. Franque

Franque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just click on the link and check out his threads. It was a reference to that, I think you'll like his ride reports, they're similar.

Many things for the common good are painful in one way or another.
  17. liv2day

Oddometer:
    @FIRE UP - welcome to the nuthouse; really appreciate the comments and glad you enjoyed the RR!

To answer the question about the SxS - didn't run into any out and about; but that's likely due to those not being street legal and their usage restricted to OHV areas in Oregon (I think). Honestly, I didn't run into anything but cattle, lizards, one mustang, a cranky badger, dozens of prong horn, and lots of fauna while out riding. Met good people at some camp spots and had mask-safety in place when getting fuel and/or food. But overall, it was me, my bike, and my thoughts.

If you haven't stumbled across one of Joe's reports, I highly recommend a read. I like his approach and style, great sense of humor and he's a pure rider, for lack of a better term. That said, I'll still pack a chair and I'm sure if I ever get the honor to join one of his rides, endure endless grief for doing so (lol). It's all good.

ADV-Fundamentalism: anti-virus tour

Important thing is to get out and ride when you can. I use a Garmin InReach to help ease the worry for my family, has proved it's worth multiple times over now (nearly a year ago when things went pear-shaped in NV).

In any event, appreciate the comments and all the folks who followed along and added to this thread - that's what makes this place so good :thumb
  18. ThePod

ThePod Adventurer

Oddometer:
    <no thread hijack!!> Still getting it done. Love your vids! Let's all get a beer sometime! <no thread hijack!!>
    liv2day likes this.
  19. fletcherguitar

fletcherguitar Marilyn Across America

Oddometer:
    Great photos. Fabulous wr250r. Congrats on the ride. I do have to ask, if you get the wr up to about 80, will those hand guards provide enough lift to raise the front end off the pavement? Could be a new must have accessory for all the pilots out there.
  20. liv2day

Oddometer:
    :lol2 :lol2

Glad you enjoyed the report @fletcherguitar! There are actual hand guards hidden behind those large ear-muff looking things. I've been running those for years; purchased originally to help hand warmth during the cold months here in the PNW. Found they do a great job of keeping most plant fauna away from your hands/wrists. They won't stop a branch from whacking you on the knuckles, but the hard resin guards under them sure will :D

They're not so great when it's frickin' hot and you'd like some airflow to your gloved hands, but I'm too lazy to remove 'em each time; would rather have the protection from tall sage, thorny bastards, and the like :-)