Alone in the Oregon Outback - 7 Days of Solo

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by liv2day, Jun 19, 2020.

1. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^
    :lol2 :lol2 :lol2

Exactly :D
    Ginger Beard and DesertRatliff like this.
  2. LogHouseBikers

LogHouseBikers Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your adventure with us!
    scatch and liv2day like this.
  3. powderpig

powderpig Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow, awesome RR, Liv. Thanks for taking the time to document and share your adventure...it has definitely motivated me to start exploring that part of Oregon.

Re: Your issues with black flies and mosquitoes...are you familiar with this device from Thermocell?: https://www.thermacell.com/

Dang thing has completely changed my backcountry camping experiences. You can have a cloud of buggers around you...turn that thing on and they immediately disappear. Good for around a 15' circumference....REI carries them.
    liv2day and chudzikb like this.
  4. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got a thermocell, works like a charm!
    liv2day and powderpig like this.
  5. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @powderpig! If you haven't ridden down there from your neck of the woods, I'd definitely go check it out. I have a track that leaves from Bend and heads south through Christmas Valley; 176 miles and you land in Summer Lake HS. From there you can keep going south into CA and then east into NV or just head east and enjoy the outback...it's killer.

You know what's funny, I've seen the Thermocell products on sale and have thought about them before, but the biting bastards haven't been a big issue in most of my camping trips. I'm going to look into getting one though; would have been nice to sit outside and enjoy a bit more without being attacked...lol.

Glad you enjoyed the report, sorry in advance for all the smoke coming your way from the fires we've had. This week has been seriously insane, can't believe how much has burned in ~4 days :( :(
    powderpig likes this.
  6. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Before there were Thermacells, people built tiny smoky fires - now that you mention fires! - and in Eastern forests they were made with "punk wood". That's basically rotted but dry hardwood that burns without flame, slowly, and puts out a small amount of smoke. I wonder if there's a similar source in the desert? Does anything rot out there, or just dry up and turn slowly to dust? If there is, it's one less thing to carry.

This ride report is awesome. I've never gotten such a clear view of Oregon's open space! And the Tool videos are a nice surprise.
    liv2day likes this.
  7. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Hey @NoelJ, thanks for the comments and glad you enjoyed the report! There's plenty of punky wood in the forests, but out in the desert that's not typically the case. We did burn sage once and that stuff burns crazy hot and super fast, not a good source for a fire (at least a small fire).

Wish I was back out there now...
  8. powderpig

powderpig Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The smoke has been pretty thick for the last couple of days and expected to stick around over the weekend. For us, a minor nuisance when compared to the tragedy, loss and heartache on the west side of the Cascades. So sad for those folks and so unexpected on that side of the mountains.
    Ginger Beard and liv2day like this.
  9. Oddball

Oddball Faking it.

Oddometer:
    I;ve read more than a few ride reports. Traveled myself some. This is one of the best. I am sharing in FB to my friends. It was not the first one of yours I have read, but now I am hooked. Normally I cannot stand to watch the videos I post at normal speed, but you have found the recipe. I am only on page 15, but had to share.

https://www.facebook.com/spfeiffer1/
    Oldschoolrocker likes this.
  10. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks much for the kind comments @Oddball, I appreciate it! I wish I could get out for more riding like this; it will happen eventually when I stop punching the clock each week; but for now I feel fortunate to get out on these rides once or twice per year.

Glad you enjoyed the vids, it's a big time sink to get through them, but very rewarding too.
    Oddball likes this.
  11. Dusty Pipes

Dusty Pipes Riding Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome RR, thanks for sharing.
    liv2day likes this.
  12. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    Good stuff and great video! Post them GPX tracks when you get a chance
    liv2day and outbacktm like this.
  13. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Hey @Bonnie & Clyde - glad you liked the report! I posted cleaned-up tracks on page 10 of the report; took out the various navigational issues I had while out riding. Happy to answer any questions if you have 'em; at least insofar as to what I know (which is limited compared to some inmates on here).
    Bonnie & Clyde likes this.
  14. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    Thank you

QUOTE="liv2day, post: 41201767, member: 356512"]Hey @Bonnie & Clyde - glad you liked the report! I posted cleaned-up tracks on page 10 of the report; took out the various navigational issues I had while out riding. Happy to answer any questions if you have 'em; at least insofar as to what I know (which is limited compared to some inmates on here).[/QUOTE]
  15. ZIEN BARON VON SUPERDUKEN

ZIEN BARON VON SUPERDUKEN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He aims to please....:lol3
    Bonnie & Clyde likes this.
  16. Mark64

Mark64 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey fella, what a fabulous RR - I've only just finished reading this week, got plenty of time at the moment as we are in lockdown in the UK, your photos and videos are amazing, very slick and professional looking - like it could be an advert for the ADV site! The vids are so polished and seamless in their delivery - right down to the music, I've never listened to Tool, but I will be in the future, I only listen to Rock music (if it's not Rock&Roll it's not music - right!) and I'm lovin your taste in music. You guys are so lucky in the USA - what an astonishing country you have - stunningly beautiful and to have such isolation is beyond belief. Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us. I raise my glass to you.

Cheers - Mark
    liv2day likes this.
  17. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind comments and props @Mark64, sincerely appreciate 'em! I spoke with colleagues in the UK last week and several just learned they're being furloughed again - only working 3 days per week. It's good that your govt takes care of its employees like that, far better than the shitshow it is in the US (won't get into that rabbit hole as it's far too deep...lol).

We're quite fortunate in the western US and the PNW, lots of public land and state/national forests to ride and explore. Wish I was retired and could just ride, believe I could spend the remainder of my days roaming around Oregon, Nevada, Washington, and Idaho. Oh, and winter in Baja...that's another area of riding nirvana.

Glad you enjoyed the vids with Tool, have found that band to be an acquired taste for some :lol2:lol2. Since you mentioned it, I threw together another vid last night from a ride last month using an older Tool song. If you need to waste a few minutes, here you go:

18. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ahhh, unladen bikes! So maneuverable, so much fun...
    liv2day likes this.
  19. Mark64

Mark64 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks again but let me tell you that any time spent watching your videos is not wasted - it's time well spent, and once again the sheer vastness (and beauty) of your country absolutely blows my mind, the more music I hear by Tool, the more I like it, keep them coming fella.
    liv2day likes this.
  20. svo_jon

svo_jon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And to think, east fort rock ohv area (China hat) is less than 10 miles from my doorstep.... I need to get out and ride more...

Jonathan