Alone in the Oregon Outback - 7 Days of Solo

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by liv2day, Jun 19, 2020.

1. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm envious...takes me 4.5 hours to get China Hat. Might have mentioned it before, but I have a track that'll take you from Bend to Summer Lake and from there you can head south into CA and NV or east and do the loop I did earlier this summer - or choose your own adventure as there's a ton of possible tracks to follow.

I'm going to post the GPX file with cleaned up tracks in the report I'm currently working in the day trip forum: 4 Days From China Hat.

The ride we did the 2nd day was the best; close to 160 miles of fun. Haven't made it to the 3rd day of riding yet, but my planning screwed up and we hit private property and then had a bike issue, so the ride went as these things do...a little sideways :lol2 :lol2

@Mark64 & @chudzikb - glad to see this report is still popping up and providing some entertainment!
  2. svo_jon

svo_jon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rad!!! Another liv2day rr!!! Thanks man!

Jonathan
  3. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice report!

Just what I needed as I look back on a year with less adventures than I had originally planned. It brought back memories of having been to lots of the places pictured on trips long ago. And there were plenty of places I have not seen. Sorry you didn't get a world famous shake. That truly sucks.

Next time go to the top of Beatty's Butte. It is the bomb.
    liv2day and oregonlmd like this.
  4. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @MasterMarine, really appreciate the comments. I know we haven't met, but know you've helped @KarmaSect and @tundradirtbiker during their rides down in that neck of the woods and farther. Was definitely bummed to miss shakes both times I rolled through Fields this time, but I'll always go back that way - I'm drawn to it.

Not familiar with Beatty's Butte, will do some searching and make sure it's on the agenda next time I'm out there. If you can point me in the right direction on location, I'd appreciate it.

Hope you're able to get out more next season, this year has definitely been one for the record books (and one to put in the rear view mirror).

Knobby side down man.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  5. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is here. Enjoy!
    42.387485712571056, -119.33241182053202

The road goes up it from the north side. It is a fun one. We went up it years ago. @KarmaSect was there but not @tundradirtbiker. It is in one of our old ride reports. I was on my KLX650 so it was before 2013.
  6. eb1562

eb1562 Lone Wolf

Oddometer:
    how do you like your Marmont tent? Took it on the TAT trip and worked very well, especially if it rained
  7. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Hey @eb1562! I really like that Marmot tent, though I have to admit I typically use it for base camp or car camping and don't pack it on the bike. I have a Big Agnes Copper Spur I use for backpacking and for multi-day bike trips like this as it packs smaller, it's lighter and I prefer the pole design (the bent poles of the Marmot tent can be a pain in my Mosko setup).

Glad you found the report, hope you enjoy it :-)
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  8. yakmike

yakmike Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome rr Liv with great drone edits.. That is a target area for a possible high mountain desert trip. Coming from the east coast that will be a treat for sure. Thanks for all you shared!!
    liv2day likes this.
  9. ShenandoahDS1

ShenandoahDS1 Dirtbike

Oddometer:
    Fantastic video!!!
    liv2day likes this.
  10. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @ShenandoahDS1! Thoroughly enjoyed your report from your trek out to this side of the country; you and your crew appear to have had an outstanding time. I like that - always good when folks get a taste of the incredible dual-sport riding we have here. And hell, I think I've only scratched the surface.

Look forward to getting back out there to capture more footage and find new areas; though I'll be hard pressed not to head back to Warm Springs on the Owyhee - top 3 favorite camp spot of my nearly 50 years on this planet.

Knobby side down man.
  11. katoomon

katoomon Rocket Surgeon

Oddometer:
    @liv2day, Northern NV and southern OR are some of my favorite places. My regulars are Santa Rosa Range, Virgin Valley in the Sheldon WR, Hart Mtn Antelope Refuge, Steens Mtn, Alvord Dez, & the don't miss Fields Station. Thanks much for introducing the Owyhee, It has been on my list for years and just moved up.

I kicked your *.gpx file into Google Earth and re-read from the beginning, following along with an aerial view. GREAT POST! Google Earth file attached for all, don't make me a thread killer.

Attached Files:

liv2day likes this.
  12. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comments @katoomon! Getting to the Owyhee and actually camping above the river by warm springs was the highlight of this trip for me. Especially after getting stymied in a couple previous attempts. I'm very glad it's as remote as it is and takes some dedication to get there.

I'm keenly interested in exploring more of northern NV and really want to do the NVBDR sometime in the near future. Thanks to multiple reports from folks here, I have a fair amount of GPX files to sort through and choose from. So many mountain ranges to enjoy in my southern neighbor; wish I was frickin' retired...lol.

Knobby side down, post up when you get to the Owyhee.
  13. wetwider

wetwider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent report & thanks for all the great pics, & flicks especially of favorite places like Summer Lake, Steen's Mountain and The Alvord - and the Owyhee region. That's a fine preview for a couple of us.

Question: Do you know if it's still ok to camp pretty much anywhere in Oregon on BLM & Forest Service land?

I read somewhere that's been outlawed because campgrounds in the state filled and the overflow onto federal lands left huge messes, thus a closure for camping. Hope it ain't so. 'Been planning a shakedown meander around Oregon's northeast outback soon as temps rise some, mostly stealth camping. 'Hope that's doable!

Thanks again!
    outbacktm and liv2day like this.
  14. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @wetwider, glad you found the report and enjoyed it! Definitely a special place in Oregon and one I honestly hope stays off the radar for most due to exactly what you mentioned in your post. While I believe most all inmates here are respectful of the back country, try to leave no trace, and pack out what they pack in, I haven't seen the same from the masses I witnessed at some of the places I camped last summer. Not a fan of making generalized statements as it's not fair, but I hope the folks who jumped into camping/outdoor activities last summer because of the pandemic go back to previous activities when/if life goes back to normal.

In any event, sorry for the tangent. I don't believe anything was closed because of messes left, though it's entirely possible in some parts of the state that see heavy usage. Most of the closures or restrictions were driven by covid precautions and then the horrible fires in September. Some restroom facilities and trash services were stopped during the really bad months of the pandemic last summer, but I didn't encounter anything personally in my trip (like the restroom at Willow Creek). For reference, I'd keep an eye on info posted to the BLM website - this is for covid restrictions, but also has links off to fire closures, etc.

Hope you're able to get out in the NE outback! Where are you planning to explore in that part of the state? I've ridden lots of street miles out that way and done some dual-sport riding out Fossil way, but still have a strong desire to go explore Winom-Frazier, the Wallowas, and more out that way.

Knobby side down where ever you ride.
  15. wetwider

Oddometer:
    'Appreciate your response, Liv2ay. I'll keep an eye on that BLM site, hope for the best, & see if the Forest Service has a notice I missed. I too hope pandemic campers will have had their fill when things open up, and for the economy to improve so fewer need live as nomads in vehicles in the bush, and Mad Max wasn't a prescient documentary.

I've crisscrossed much of northeastern Oregon on the road bike too, 'tween Cambridge, Idaho, Hells Canyon, Joseph, to a little west of Condon. 'Aim to do more of that, but next trip is on dirt. 'Plan is to truck my Super Sherpa to Kimberly & ride from there, routes undecided, ideally past a hot spring or two. (Thanks f'mentioning Winom-Frazier - will look into that). With remote camping off the little bike refined, a buddy & I have Owyhee in our sights for spring.

`Seems we hanker for similar territories.
    liv2day likes this.
  16. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Definitely! Really like Kimberly and that whole area. Service Creek, Fossil, Monument, and further east to Granite, Sumpter, and the rest. I haven't checked dirt tracks south from Kimberly, but a quick look at the map looks like you might be able to pick your way through NF and BLM land a good chunk of the way to the Owyhee. The biggest issue I've encountered there is private property - there's a ton of it. And just be careful given the time of year, spring means potential wet and the gumbo mud out there is horrible.

If you don't have/use Gaia, I'd recommend it (gaiagps.com). The private property overlays are super helpful when plotting routes, especially if you're picking you way through plots trying to connect to public lands.
    wetwider likes this.
  17. wetwider

Oddometer:
    Thanks once again! 'Just looked at Gaia. Looks like a welcomed winner, just in time. The idea is a short two or three night de-mildew run camping in the pucker-brush (Gotta test my tiny toilet idea, other alleged innovations & minimalization) in April or May, come home, then a couple weeks later two or three of us trailer to the Owyhee for a more ambitious several days.
    liv2day likes this.
  18. Motoguy

Motoguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Epic report. Loved the drone videos set to Tool music. I appreciate your persistence in making the loop happen after a couple of trips that did not go as planned. Speaking of Gumbo mud, I was on a ride on the TAT on vintage Yamaha Enduro's in 2009, (on this forum with Vinnie the Snake and Big Dog) and going through Oklahoma/Mississippi we hit some of the worse slimy mud I'd ridden on until I hit a serious rain storm in the Painted Hills area and realized we also have some serious gumbo mud here in Oregon.

Your ride report brought me back to when I was a kid. My dad took me duck hunting each year at Summer Lake and Lake Abert and we would always go spend time in the Steens mountains camping and hiking. He had a fascination with the high desert and it's history with Peter French, etc., which he passed on to me. I'm now 60 and that was over 50 years ago and it amazes me that time has seemed to have stood still over there. I live just outside of Portland and also have a WR250R. I've ridden my road bike down through Frenchglen, Fields, Denio, etc. on multiple occasions, but I've never ridden the Alvord/Owyhee areas on my WR. Your ride report inspired me and I'm planning a solo trip over there to enjoy the peace and solitude later this summer. Thanks Liv, I appreciate all the time and work you put into a remarkable ride report.
    liv2day, svo_jon and MasterMarine like this.
  19. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Dang, thanks for such kind words @Motoguy! Glad you enjoyed the report, I had a great time putting it together. So cool you’re going to head out and explore on your WR, have an awesome time and enjoy it. I’d suggest going later in June, that damn gumbo mud can suddenly appear if showers move through like they occasionally do in early June.

Let me know if you need any GPX files, happy to help with any intel I have.
    Jedi2Rider likes this.
  20. Motoguy

Motoguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Liv. I'm looking at late June or even into August. June is iffy and I'd rather not hit the Gumbo mud. I'd appreciate it if you could send me the GPX files for your ride. It looks like a good one. Hopefully, Fields will not be out of ice cream.
    liv2day likes this.