Alone in the Oregon Outback - 7 Days of Solo

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by liv2day, Jun 19, 2020.

1. nw scout

nw scout Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome trip!!!
    Heading out that way for the GL rally on Wednesday and would love to drool over your GPX tracks!
    Been scouring maps looking for a way from Rome up to the Owyhee for my girlfriend and I to try.
    I came in from Crane on the north side last year and that was a great route, but since we will be camping out on the plya before heading to Owyhee, we would like to try are way in from the south.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
  2. DragonJoe

DragonJoe Don’t know whatcha don’t know Supporter

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed your report and have loaded and studied your tracks. Might give it a go early July. But, there is the IDBDR calling my name again too. DR 650 tuned and serviced awaiting me in La Center, WA.
    QUESTION : is water potable (filtered) from the many springs along the area?
  3. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey @nw scout - apologies for not replying sooner, been off the grid camping with my boys the last 5 days. I posted the GPX tracks from this trip in the thread somewhere - I came up from the south to Rome for fuel after camping on the Owyhee at Warm Springs. Not sure how much further south you'd want to come from, but this would get you out to the river and then up to Rome.

Realize it's Wednesday and you might be there already - post up if you're able to and I'll dig into it a bit more if you have a location you want to reach that's further south from where I camped.
  4. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Hey @DragonJoe! Your TAT report is still one of my favs.

Yes, you can filter water from most of the springs in the area, though some have high mineral content and the water won't taste very good. For instance, I bring water to Summer Lake as filtering that water is drinkable, but tastes horrible (or buy some in Paisley). I'd typically fill one (or two) of my empty containers in town when getting fuel so I had enough to cook with and refill my hydration bladder (always filled this up at fuel stops - regardless).

Interested to learn which option you choose!
  5. nw scout

nw scout Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh great, I guess I missed it so ill check again!
    Thanks, heading out in just a bit
    liv2day likes this.
  6. DragonJoe

DragonJoe Don’t know whatcha don’t know Supporter

Oddometer:
    Figured taste would be an issue. Thanks.
  7. Shady Pass David

Shady Pass David Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really?...At Duane's Summer Lake Hot Springs I fill all the empty bottles I have with his cold water and bring it back to Chelan with me...
    Makes my guts settle down after too much garlic & sweet onions-Pasta too...
    We are all different I guess.....:norton......
    liv2day likes this.
  8. Shady Pass David

Oddometer:
    Hey live2day..Is Oregon still nailing us aliens a 30% surcharge at State Parks?...
    It's making me head towards Idaho-Montana-Wy. this year..I do love Oregon..
  9. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Ha! @Shady Pass David - I imagine all the minerals are really good for you too. I'm also a bit of a water snob given the well water I have at my place on the other side of the Cascades. There have been a couple times when I've been there that I've used his water; definitely better than being dehydrated :D :D

WRT to the 30% surcharge at state parks for non-Oregonians; I actually didn't know that was a thing :( :(. Knowing how things work, I doubt it's been removed or reduced. Don't agree with that approach given how much I love the outdoors and hitting other states for travel via moto and camping. Stupid business sense if you think about the money pumped into the local economy when folks travel (but I'm not in charge and never would want to be...lol).
    Shady Pass David likes this.
  10. Shady Pass David

Oddometer:
    Well..If I was in charge....Never want to....All states run ads for us to visit then put surcharges on out of state folks.....Then they give Veteran discounts, but only for the local state people..
    Ah...U.S. Army 1968-71....Didn't know I wasn't defending any state but Washington..
    Just have to wonder, but keep on enjoying all our Western states for me..
    ....................:bash...................:hide........I hope to hit the road next week after a Perm Crown on a back tooth...Ouch.....:rayof.........
    liv2day likes this.