Alone in the Oregon Outback - 7 Days of Solo

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by liv2day, Jun 19, 2020.

1. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    It’s out of Diamond, called Moon Hill Rd. Honestly, not terrible compared to some of the stuff I’ve ridden this trip, but it was a long slog up.
    And BLM roads are public, even if the ranchers post signs. Talked with a fire captain from the BLM at Willow HS and he said the public has every right to the road, just don’t wander off it.
  2. mcstark

mcstark Living brappy...

Oddometer:
    Loving the pics and your write up. Vastly different terrain from the northeast. Keep it coming! :ricky
    liv2day likes this.
  3. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Yes, I've been on that "road". It was easy to meander off the main route and run into locked gates. Do you remember seeing this place?

IMG_1493.JPG

We stopped to take a look around. Super quiet and peaceful until a couple of these decided to launch. Two of us were inside the house and nearly dropped to the floor out of fear. They sounded like low flying aircraft!

IMG_1495.JPG
  4. liv2day

Oddometer:
    That’s funny @Humunn! Just pulled this pic off my camera, thought about going in to check it out, but wanted to get to camp sooner rather than later. Wish I would’ve stopped, been cool as hell to see an owl, as long as it didn’t dive bomb :lol2
    EAD0A768-CDDB-44B8-88BD-14F832FC537A.jpeg
  5. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Made it back to Summer Lake! Today didn’t go quite as planned, lots of backtracking. Spent too much time dicking around on the alkali lake trying to find a track that vanished. Was kinda freaky, damn hot and easy to get turned around.
    Anyway, last night at Hart Mountain HS was good, camped near the HS and the creek. Hot spring was ok, too many people. Seriously dig Hart Mtn though.

Have tons of pics and video to sift through, but I’ll get the ‘real’ report going in the near future.
    99401E67-C08E-4A1A-A47F-95B0E7104E4A.jpeg 21341809-E4B4-4CF7-998F-11F22B460830.jpeg 985906DE-2B26-4ED0-A648-3747EA22C44A.jpeg 3D4E8E8F-D0E3-4CA9-8847-0DD1885A088D.jpeg
  6. liv2day

Oddometer:
    :lol2:lol2:lol2

Yeah, @Joe Motocross would likely scoff at all my crap and my chair. It’s ok, I’m good with rollin this way. Joe’s good people, I’m not an ADV-Fer, more like just a m-fer :lol3

‘Twas a great ride, not ADV-F, but not gravel goldwing either :D
    Lots more pics and video to come
  7. svo_jon

svo_jon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I figured the pic with the chair in the tent was to try and draw out the profit! Love the rr thanks for sharing.

Jonathan
    liv2day likes this.
  8. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    What's the chances we could get some tracks?....

giphy.gif
  9. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Happily share all of ‘em. Need to do a bit of cleanup as several didn’t quite pan out, but it’s a good 1k mile loop that’s 95% off-road. I’ll pull all the actual tracks of my GPS, clean them up, and post.
  10. satchmo3

satchmo3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good stuff Liv. Your inspiring me to start planning another SE Oregon trip!
    liv2day likes this.
  11. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    Great ride report man! We all forgive you for the chair. :D
  12. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    yeah that chair looks Too Small, no bear could sit in it.
    liv2day likes this.
  13. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Funny you mention bear, had one amble by me at about 15’ away the morning I woke up in the Steens. Was out at sunrise getting pics on the lake when I hear what I thought was someone walking along the trail by the lake.

I was out on the small dock that’s there. Decent size black bear walks by, I was so shocked that I literally said holy shit super loud and startled that bear as much as it startled me :lol2:lol2

I got a shot of his arse as he bolted up into the woods, kinda pissed as I could have gotten a great pic had I kept my trap shut. Really surprised given the number of people at the lake, but a cool encounter nonetheless. Just glad it wasn’t a momma with cubs, probably would’ve gone swimming if that were the case :eek7

I’ll post the pic when it gets to that day in the report :D
  14. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to the gpx. tracks.
    Don't get out west much anymore but when I do this ride going to be on the list.

Thanks for sharing! :clap
    liv2day likes this.
  15. RacingBlue

RacingBlue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome pictures man, looks like one heck of a trip. Can't wait to see your full report.
    liv2day likes this.
  16. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Though not exactly 100% accurate, I've been saying this is my 4th attempt at riding this area as the previous 3 tries had not gone according to plan. Not the typical adventure/dual-sport issues with re-routes and the like, but trip-ending type of crap on 2 of the last 3. As such, I was quite keen to complete this ride, especially as it was another solo attempt.

I first fell in love with the Oregon Outback just over two years ago to when I started this ride. Several riding buds headed east with me as we wanted to try a loop that a couple inmates had kindly shared tracks of (big thanks to @tundradirtbiker & @KarmaSect for their help). Unfortunately, the weather screwed us on that very first attempt as we became intimately familiar with what the hell gumbo mud is and why you should NEVER attempt to ride if precip has/is falling.

MIA Axle Nut/Spacer, Flooded Tracks, & Mud From Hell: 4 Days in Remote SE Oregon

The next ride out there was my first solo attempt; my desire to get out and ride the newly acquired WR250 overrode the intelligent approach in ensuring everything was fully setup to handle the trip. Stupidity killed this one early: blown rear shock, multiple flats, and a rear tire that had no more sidewall rigidity forced me to borrow lots of karma in getting back to my truck to rescue my bike.

1st Solo Rip, Remote SE Oregon, & a Drone - Updated w/ Drone Vid

The 3rd attempt was not exactly in the same neck of the woods, but started in Summer Lake and was supposed to loop back through the Alvord and other spots I'd be hitting on this route. This ride went completely pear-shaped starting the 2nd day with a badly broken toe that was then followed by more crappy weather, a lost rider, abandoned bikes, and far too much time in Denio Junction.

The Big Empty Bites - ER, Abandoned Bikes, Search & Rescue Chopper

So that's the track record and history I had in the back of my mind as I decided to undertake this solo ride. I'd be riding more days than previously attempted and doing so all by my onesies - in the least densely populated county in the lower 48. Hell yeah.
  17. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    While I would certainly love to meet you some day, riding with you does not seem to be in my best interest! :-)
  18. liv2day

Oddometer:
    The following pics are from what I call Day 0. Though just a travel day with my bike in the back of the truck; the place I have staged from and visited several times over the last few years is definitely picture worthy - as is the scenery during the drive over. If you have a chance to get to Summer Lake Hot Springs, do so - it's a great place to unwind and get away (when they start taking reservations again - stupid covid crap).

Crossing over the Cascade range and getting into the Oregon Outback is always fantastic, even if it's driving in a cage.

Stopped at the top of a bluff that looks down into the basin where Summer Lake sits.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Made it and got camp setup while trying to avoid the crazy amount of horse flies and mosquitoes. Note for my future self - don't forget to pack the bug spray (again).

[​IMG]

My wife gave me this awesome beer coozie a couple years ago and it makes the trek whenever I'm traveling and enjoying a beer.

[​IMG]

And just some random shots from walking around, the pools outside the main pool, a local resident who stopped by to visit while I was hanging out, and enjoying my adjustafork dinner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to come as I get underway the following day...
    bomose, jeckyll, yakawars59 and 6 others like this.
  19. liv2day

Oddometer:
    :lol2 :lol2 :lol2

You should hear my usual riding buds give me crap about rides we've done; gets even worse if we're doing single track stuff on pure dirt bikes. The usual suspects were doing the WABDR on big bikes when I decided to go do this :D

Head out to the PNW and we'll tackle some of this crap; you'll be fine :D
    Ginger Beard and outbacktm like this.
  20. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am lucky to get a weekend with the boys, but, surely some day time will free up. Hopefully soon...and hopefully, your luck changes for the better!