Alone on the GCBAR - Again

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by dave6253, Nov 1, 2015.

1. PeterKaa

PeterKaa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was at Toroweap on the 13th and Demotte by North Rim on the 14th, we must have been very very close.
    Looking at your pictures I feel embarrassed by my crappy phone pics.

I'll make sure to upload a video of the point sublime trails that I rode by on the verge of complete and utter panic in the dark :p
    dave6253 likes this.
  2. AllBlak

AllBlak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    More great stuff Dave...
    What did you replace the useless slime pump with?
  3. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Increasingly Grumpy Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Top pics, very nice. The GC is on my bucket list, will do this sometime in the next three years. Your RR is inspiring me with ideas.
    dave6253 likes this.
  4. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    I make it to Point Sublime again.:happay

[​IMG]

This is my 3rd ride out here and the only trip where I'm not camping here.

[​IMG]

Point Sublime has the most amazing panoramic view. It was aptly named. I soaked in the view for a little while.
    Although it is not as photogenic at midday, it is my favorite view of the Grand Canyon from the Kaibab Plateau.
    The rough trail to get here, just ensures you won't feel crowded by tourists.
    I can see Havasupai Pt (my first campsite) just across the canyon, about 5 miles away.

[​IMG]

I head towards the north on another rough trail.

[​IMG]

There was a little mud and lots of rough steep sections.

[​IMG]

There are a lot of marble-like rocks out here. I was in a long section of marbles when I pulled over for a group of about 6 thumpers.
    Even though I had pulled over as far to the right as possible and stopped, each one rounded the corner, grabbed a handful of brake, and nearly crashed trying to avoid me.
    They were running way to fast around a blind corner on downhill marbles. Three of the six nearly took me out, and I'm pretty sure one wiped out just past me.
    They were being chased by a large 4x4 that was also hauling ass.

[​IMG]

I later had to wait for a slow spread out train of 1 mph Jeeps. There were supposedly 20 Jeeps in the group. I lost count and wasn't sure when the end was.
    It would have been nice if the last Jeep in the train would have bothered to let me know I could continue.
    Most kept their windows up and refused to return my friendly wave. I saw very few smiles in the group. At first I was a little miffed at their rudeness,
    but then I realized they were in their own little slow Jeep hell. It was probably a Jeep thing that I wouldn't understand. :-)

[​IMG]

A traffic jam on Pt Sublime Trail is a rare sight.
  5. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    I exit the park back into the national forest and navigate through a maze of different trails.
    There always seems to be quite a few muddy puddle in the area around Quaking Aspen Spring.

[​IMG]

I'm enjoying the smoother roads after being beat up and having to concentrate for so long on Pt Sublime Trail.

[​IMG]

The problem with the puddles here is the stench. I smell like cow piss now.

[​IMG]

There was one hell of a nasty rough climb on the 206, I think.
    I stopped at the top to chat with a couple mountain bikers that were wasted from pedaling up it.
    I felt lucky to have a big V-twin to do most of the work for me.
    They seemed a little jealous also and asked a lot of questions about the bike.

[​IMG] ..........[​IMG]

Stina and Timp Points are the only points in this area I haven't ridden to before, so I head that way.

[​IMG]

There was quite a downhill hike to get any view of the canyon from Stina Point.

[​IMG]

I hadn't even taken off my helmet, so I didn't hike all the way down to the actual point.

[​IMG]

The riding was fun, though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Timp Point also had a long downhill hike, so I didn't get a good view from there.

[​IMG]
  6. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    I worked my way through several trails including sections of the 250 to get over to Crazy Jugs Pt.

[​IMG]

The 250 is a fun trail. I avoided the first section of it north of Timp Pt, as I remember a very steep and loose section I'm not keen to try riding up.

[​IMG]

The 272 is a smooth and fast trail with the exception of one hill.

[​IMG]

I've ridden up the hill on the 272 several times before. I think this was my first time to ride down.
    The hill is about a 500 feet change in elevation.

[​IMG]

There used to be only one switchback with loose gravel to worry about, but there has
    been lots of erosion since I was last here. Now most of the hill is a little tricky.

[​IMG]

I began feeling fatigued. I had a couple hours of daylight left and hadn't planned to stay at Crazy Jugs,
    but the lack of good sleep last night in the parking lot, combined with the miles of rough trails today,
    have me feeling wasted. I realize all of the algorithms in my riding computer are a little off.
    My mind is wandering and I'm starting to make mistakes. I have more rough trails planned today,
    but decide it's best not to push it. I tell myself I'll just spend the night at Crazy Jugs - if no one else is there.

When I get to the end of the road at Crazy Jugs, I'm dismayed to see 2 small RVs. Before I even get the
    helmet off I see an old man come out. He's looking at me, and his lips are moving, but metal is still being
    pumped into my ears. He looks like he's been using acid since the 60s and he's holding a flute. Not the shiny
    professional looking thing you hold out to the side to play, but the type you give a 2nd grader for beginner
    music lessons. I immediately name him Looney Tunes in my mind. I realize Looney Tunes is talking to me,
    so I hold up one finger to indicate, wait a minute. Before I can tear off the helmet and pull out my earbuds,
    he gives up and goes back into the RV.

I can now hear the most awful noises coming from the RV. A lady is trying to strum some awkward chords
    on a guitar and attempting to sing, while Looney Tunes is accompanying her with his flute. I suddenly realize,
    there's no way in hell, I'm staying here tonight. Oh well, I'll just walk down to the point to snap a couple
    pictures before leaving. Looney Tunes come back out and tries to play tour guide, "If you haven't been here before..."
    I interject, Oh I've been here many times. He looked a little hurt, but continued with his little lecture about what there was to see here.

[​IMG]
  7. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    Thanks @AllBlak. I like my Dynaplug Pump.

Thanks for coming along @MrKiwi. I hope you are able to ride the GC.
  8. ct-ktm

ct-ktm Long timer

Oddometer:
    So you met Looney Tunes at Crazy Jug..:lol3
    larryboy likes this.
  9. 148am

148am Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Following along from the rainy Oregon Coast. Your excellent photos of the red/yellow/orange end of the spectrum are a nice diversion from our solid greens and blues.
  10. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe the other RV had a banjo player? I wouldn't have stuck around either.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
  11. BigDogRaven

BigDogRaven Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dave,
    Great to see another fine report from you. I have read ALL of yours. Just amazing photos, as everyone has mentioned.
    I also appreciate your writing. Brief, descriptive and easy to follow. Love the Aspen pics and the sunrise/sunsets.:clap
    You have inspired me to take more pics on the bike. I have read your photo thread, and even got the "gearkeeper", tried a few cameras.
    Just found it all a bit cumbersome to deal with. Have just recently got a Sena 10C, bluetooth camera/video combo. So far, love it. Super low profile and easy to use. No fuss.
    Have yet to venture in to my own RR. Maybe soon.

This is really great stuff once again Dave. Thanks for sharing and inspiring.:clap

More videos please! With more DT music! BTW; I know your like prog metal. Check out this band called: Bad Salad.
    Peace
  12. PeterKaa

PeterKaa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I stopped and talked to the two guys (looney tunes, lol) in the RVs at crazy jug pt.
    They were nice enough and clearly jealous of my little moto adventure. Seemed like they were ready to ditch their grumpy wives (who were giving me evil eyes from inside one of the RVs) with the silly RVs and ride of into the wilderness.
  13. utefan

utefan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just as your pictures and ride reports are the best Zen Moto/Dillon are the best! Loving the report.
  14. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    I walked down to Crazy Jugs Pt and took a crappy midday pic.

[​IMG]

I was a little hard on Looney Tunes in the last post. Fact is, during his tour guide lecture, he gave me the idea to check out
    more viewpoints along the rim. I found a single track leading to lots of additional viewpoints. There were also several nice
    campsites under the trees and not far from the rim. I decided I was too tired to continue riding, so I rode my bike down the trail
    a short ways and set up camp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It ended up being a good decision to stay here, and I was nowhere near Looney Tunes - or anyone else.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 5 Stats

[​IMG]

I had originally intended to stay at Jumpup Point. It was another place I've never ridden to, and I was pretty sure the roads to get there may be impassable. I will try tomorrow.

[​IMG]
  15. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    Thanks @BillUA.

Crazy, huh?

The Southwest definitely has lots of colors, huh? Thanks for following @148am.

But I did end up sticking around. Hi @motocopter.

Thanks @BigDogRaven. Ok, I'm listening to Bad Salad now. Great music - stupid name.:D Check out Haken, if you haven't already.
    I decided at the last minute to not take the helmet cam this trip. I don't enjoy video as much as stills. Let me know if you start an RR.

That's funny. Looney Tunes was nice enough, he just had that crazy look in his eyes and caught me in a grumpy mood. He said they had already been out there 2 weeks.
    BTW, Riding Pt Sublime Trail in the dark wouldn't be very fun, but it is a very wide and heavily traveled road compared to what I end up riding in the dark.

Thanks @utefan.
  16. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    Day 6

The morning sun starts to light up the canyon.

[​IMG]

I can see a goal from here. Kanab Pt.

[​IMG]

Can you find Kanab Pt in this panoramic view?

[​IMG]
    Robber, BeemerBOI, MrKiwi and 2 others like this.
  17. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I pull on my cow-piss-covered pants and boots. Oh well, Let's go ride!

[​IMG]

It was a chilly morning, so I had to layer up. Winter Route

[​IMG]

This warning isn't really true. The 427 is fairly easy...

[​IMG]

...fun...

[​IMG]

...colorful...

[​IMG]

...and fast.

[​IMG]
  18. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Hahaha, Loony Tunes!!:rofl
    dave6253 and larryboy like this.
  19. Eros

Eros Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dave, I'm a fan of your ride reports. I've read through them all and enjoy them every time. Thanks for posting.
    dave6253 likes this.
  20. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much,@Eros. I'm happy to hear it.:thumb