Alpinestar Tech 7 Enduro vs. Sidi Adventure 2 Goretex?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by leonpnw, Mar 22, 2020.

Tags:
  1. leonpnw

leonpnw n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to decide between these two boots. I live in the PNW and do a lot of trail riding, but also do 2-3 week rides once a year where it'd be nice to get out and walk around the campsite, town, etc.

The Sidi boot fits all the marks, especially since it has full goretex. But I'm not completely sold on the protection for trail riding.

The two problems with the tech 7 is that they're not waterproof, and I'm not sure how comfortable they'd be off the bike.

For those of you that own either pair, what do you think? Is the protection on the Sidi plenty good, or is the extra protection from the tech 7's worth having a non-waterproof, not as comfortable boot?
  2. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    There's a waterproof Tech 7 Enduro Drystar now. I'm in the same boat as you, living in the PNW but wanting something waterproof but with good protection, so I've been eyeballing these. Haven't pulled the trigger yet though.
    https://www.alpinestars.com/tech-7-enduro-drystar-boot
    TIGERRIDER007 and StanBo like this.
  3. Mikeeep

Mikeeep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have 500 road miles on my new Tech 7 Enduros. They are already broken in and I have no problem walking in them. I wouldn't want to do a actual hike in them though. I do wish they would incorporate a loop on them so I could tie them to my bike my and switch to street shoes.
    StanBo likes this.
  4. Jbrjbr21

Jbrjbr21 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The soles came off my sidi adventure 2 the second time I wore them.
    The warranty was through email only so a local shop glued them back on.
    I use gorilla after every 5 th ride.
  5. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the Tech 7 Enduro Drystar is your Huckleberry.
    Jbrjbr21 likes this.
  6. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm sold on Sidi Adventure protection. At least for my foot and especially my ankle. My first crash in them was a slide in rocks with my foot under the bike. My last was looping a rocky hill and having the bike land on my foot and leg. Zero damage.

I love my battered old Adventure Rain boots. I would replace them with the newer model without hesitation if I destroyed one. The ankle protection seems on par with my Crossfires. That is my main concern. And they are almost as comfortable as my work boots.

After several years of dual sport and dirt bike use, there are only two protection issues I found:

One, the boot is shorter than my Crossfires and old O'Neals. But I wear old school knee and shin protectors that still reach the top of the boot. So none of the limbs and rocks I have hit found shin bone.

Two, I did have the Velcro somehow pulled open in brush once while wearing ITB MX pants. All it cost me was a boot full of water on a deep stream crossing. I pay attention to that now when I wear ITB pants.

mroddis and F650Dakar_Norway like this.
  7. rswift-ebay

rswift-ebay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Buy the boot for protection and a pair of goretex socks for the waterproof side. I ride tech 5's and goretex over my feet and my feet breathe fine and stay dry.
  8. Grinder

Grinder Wrong way 'round

Oddometer:
    I’ve got both actually. Both are excellent boots and you won’t be disappointed with either.

the tech7 is a tank but it articulates so it’s instantly comfortable to wear over a long period. Hiking is doable but not optimal. They are warm, but that’s a function of the level of protection.

the sidi are nowhere near as stout. They’re a good adventure touring boot. The goretex works great and as long as water doesn’t go over the top you’ll be dry. They’re hot too. Once they get wet inside they will stay that way because the goretex works the same way regardless of which side the water is on...lol. That is something to keep in mind with waterproof boots in general. They’ll stay wet the rest of the day. The tech7s will somewhat pump the water out.

if riding more trails and you need great protection, get the tech7. Anything less, the sidi will do the job. On the waterproofing, I’m not sure it’s necessarily needed on an enduro bike. I’ve gone to too many watercrossings where the water came in over the top or the rest of my gear, pants in particular aren’t waterproof anyway.
    Oeths, JP4 and plumer1kt like this.
  9. max2

max2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have both, and don’t like either. The tech 7 enduro (2019 non drystar) are absolutely not the least bit waterproof, splashing through puddles can soak your socks. The Sidi adventures are nice, however mine squeak like crazy and I feel are to low to offer solid crash protection. I’m wearing sidi Crossfire SRS now, excellent boot, very comfortable, breaks in easy, they are a little clunky to walk around in but offer excellent crash protection.
  10. BigWally

BigWally Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I own both of these boots.
    Be aware the Tech 7 Enduros have an extraordinarily large top circumference - enough so that I can't wear my Klim Badlands or Olympia Airglide pants over the boots. Had to invest in knee guards and in-the-boot pants to wear the 7's. The payoff is in solid protection from sole to mid-thigh. No banging your shin on the pegs if your foot comes off while wearing the Adv2's with regular pants with knee armor in a pocket. Even after ~8 rides/~700 off-road miles they still feel like ski boots and as the RMA video review observes there is definitely heel float. I don't consider that a big deal since they're not for walking other than for very short distances. Much better buckles than the Adv2's.
    The Adv2's are more comfortable and much lower profile so they work with over-the-boot pants. I like mine well enough that I'm getting them resoled & refurbished by NuShoe for ~$100 shipped both ways. Downside is the shin exposure to peg banging unless wearing knee guards. It doesn't happen often but is painful when it does.
    Red liner likes this.
  11. BigWally

Oddometer:
    Also be aware that the gaiter in the 7's doesn't come up as high as the Adv2's. Unless the Drystar gaiter is taller you could still get water in the boots if you step in water deeper than the gaiter. I speculate that water might also work its way up over the gaiter in long wet on-road commuter rides.
  12. BigWally

Oddometer:
    For my off-road riding on my 500 I wear the 7's. If its raining or seriously threatening to rain I'm not going to be off-roading anyway. Nothing gets adequate traction in ape shit mud.
    For dual-sporting on my 690 I usually wear the Adv2's and now that I have knee guards I might bag the pocket armor in the Badlands and Olympia mesh pants and wear the knee guards instead to cover the shin gap.
  13. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    Tech 7 have a normal size top circumference. Klim and Rev-it pants both go over the boots fine
    BobcatSig likes this.
  14. Grinder

Grinder Wrong way 'round

Oddometer:
    I prefer in the boot pants. I don’t need any snags when trying to dab off-road. I could tell you a story of a man....
    Oeths likes this.
  15. brianbrannon

Oddometer:
    Won't the water go right in the boot if you have the pants inside?
    roookie1 likes this.
  16. Grinder

Grinder Wrong way 'round

Oddometer:
    Yes but my tech7s aren’t even pretending to be waterproof:rofl

when wearing goretex, I do have pants over the boot. These are the Klim traverse that have Velcro at the bottom so they’ll let go if snagged. One can never be too careful
  17. brianbrannon

Oddometer:
    I rubbed the Nikwax leather treatment into my Tech 7s and they do pretty good now. Dry in rain and a little water gets through in water crossings
    GF-kam and Grinder like this.
  18. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Just got some Tech 7 Enduro Drystars in the mail. Here's the crazy part - I ordered them from the UK and they got here (Oregon) in two days, free shipping! Apparently not all the cargo planes are full of toilet paper :) They were on sale from Dirtbikebitz for $348. I put them in my cart, undecided on pulling the trigger and they emailed me with another 10% off the next day, so $313 delivered. Anyway, very impressed with the boots so far. They are much lighter and more flexible than my 20 year old Sidi motocross boots I've been wearing. I got the size 11 (45.5) and fit is spot on for me and I normally wear 10.5-11 US or 45. I have room for thick socks, but not a sloppy fit. I'll go test ride them this afternoon, but so far I'm very impressed with them. Robust yet very comfortable.
    BobcatSig and flamingm0e like this.
  19. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    Damn, that's a score.

I too just ordered up a set of the Tech 7 Drystar boots. I had a non-Drystar pair for a year+ and they were great; broke in well, offered plenty of protection and good feel. They didn't hold up nearly as well as my Gaerne SG12 boots, but these new Drystars are more for riding my 790 than pure enduro.
    JP4 likes this.
  20. Hollywood D

Hollywood D Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have Tech7s and a pair of sealskin socks. I usually don’t wear the socks unless I’m anticipating getting wet though.
    BobcatSig likes this.