Alpinestars Belize, Forma adv. Low or TCX Baja mid boots?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Jeepster360, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Jeepster360

Jeepster360 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm new to adv style riding with a new BMW G310gs. I have never had riding shoes or boots before. I'm not a hard core single track type rider, more a forest service road, logging/fire road type. Gravel & dirt with ruts or washout are common.

I'm looking at one of the three titled boots for some added protection. I would also like to be able to walk or hike some in these boots if possible once I get to my destination.... city or woods. Might even go fishing in some remote spots. Would any of these boots work for that or am i looking for too much versatility from these boots? Any help would be appreciated.

John
  2. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Forma adventures are O.K. for walking and I found them O.K. for worse than just dirt roads. There are more protective boots but you trade off lack of flexibility for that protection and IMHO that increases the chance of crashing in the first place. It's easier to avoid injury if you don't crash so ...

I can't comment on the others, but pretty much anything that offers full ankle protection will save you from MOST injuries, beyond that the cost/benefit drops off.

Competitive riding the balance is different, you'll be outriding your skill level (if not you'll never improve) and crashes are more or less inevitable from that.
    Jeepster360 likes this.
  3. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not Forma. I have adv low loved them for fit but they are not waterproof leaked within 6mo.
    Maverick2076 likes this.
  4. Jeepster360

Oddometer:
    How did they hold up otherwise?

John
  5. Keyser Soze 1

Keyser Soze 1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got the Astar Belize for more casual riding. First season of use but so far so good. I did a scavenger hunt that involved some hiking a few weeks back and they did the trick. Super comfy and no unusual wear. Several rain rides and my feet have stayed dry. Can't complain.
  6. Jeepster360

Oddometer:
    Are the Astars as bulky as they look in pics on the web? I kinda like the tcx because they look so trim.

John
  7. Trip Hammer

Trip Hammer It's not the years, it's the mileage Supporter

Oddometer:
    TCX Baja mid! Returned the Forma ones because the toe was way too tall making it a bitch to upshift. Instead of adjusting my shift lever, went with the TCX's. No regerts here! Very comfy too.
  8. Jeepster360

Oddometer:
    How are they off the bike? Are they easy to walk in? Are they true to size?

John
  9. Trip Hammer

Trip Hammer It's not the years, it's the mileage Supporter

Oddometer:
    TCX's are very comfortable and fit true to size. I ride to work with them and sometimes leave them on. Hiking? No problem. I found the Formas just too bulky especially at the toe.
  10. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    Have the Forma low boots. I just returned from a 9000 mile ride north to Yukon with a bunch of rain. Worked great! No leaks and were very confortable. Having said that you are discounting fireroads etc and thinking that " off road mx" type boots are not needed. That would be a mistake. Take some hiking boots for hiking and get proper riding boots with ankle pro and shin pro for the fire roads. Youll also want knee pro as you will be in slippery stuff. Sermon over.
  11. Jeepster360

Oddometer:
    I'm not looking for hiking boots to ride in, I was looking for motor boots I could walk around in if the need arises. If I bought some tall, heavy & very stiff boots I would not wear them very often. I am looking for ankle & lower foot protection over what i have now whitch is usually a pair of Merrel Moab mid hikers. I would guess the Astars belize has the most protection. I wish I could see these boots in person and try them on but it's not possible where I live. I'm sure all of them offer more protection than what I'm wearing now.

John

Ps. Why did you wear the Forma boots on your trip to the Yukon if they are not proper riding boots? Most roads in Alaska are gravel/dirt are they not?
  12. PaulTim2000

PaulTim2000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tried on about 15 pairs of similar boots a few months ago at a shop, chose the Alpinestars, fitted my feet best and not dissapointed so far. Thicker than my old touring boots so had to shift gear lever up, and a bit less feel on the rear brake, but getting used to them. Comfortable enough to wear for a gentle stroll round the countryside (or racetrack) but don't think I'd climb a mountain in them. About 1500 miles of commuting and weekend excursions so far and dry feet but they've started to squeek when I walk, need to find a lube for the plastic ankle mechanism.
    Hope their still as comfortable when I get back from my round europe jaunt in a few weeks.
    Jeepster360 likes this.
  13. canoeguy

canoeguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a pair of Alpine scout boots that have been freaking amazing. They fit under jeans, I can walk in them, and they offer decent protection.

...they don’t make them anymore. And after years of faithful service I am needing a new pair of boots myself. Which sucks because I love these so much. I looked at the Toucan’s but for everyday riding they are too bulky.

I am going to keep an eye on this thread for leads.
    08StangGT_CS likes this.
  14. Migolito

Oddometer:
    Last things first: Yes, actually all the roads in the Yukon and Alaska are in fact dirt. The one paved road north of British Columbia is the Kodiak Island bridge road.
    I didn't suggest a hiking boot for riding. I suggested a hiking boot for hiking and a riding boot for riding. You pointed out that you are NooB to ADv riding and will be taking your new bike on dirt and gravel roads. This means you will be laying the bike down occasionally on your foot/ankle, and sandwiching your foot/ankle between the rocks and ruts that are customarily found on dirt/gravel roads. So, get a riding boot with that in mind.
  15. loosesprocket

loosesprocket Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was looking at the Alpinestar Belize and Revit Pioneer. My son has the Alpinestar Corozal full height boot which is the same as the Belize other than height and it is a well made boot and comfortable. I went with the Revit due to the quality of construction and the BOA closure system. Haven't worn them much yet but so far I like them very much.
    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle...MIr8Xzqr702wIViERpCh3UowgDEAAYASAAEgIoefD_BwE
  16. Jeepster360

Oddometer:
    That is what I want, a riding boot to protect feet and ankle areas. I thought the boots listed were suppose to do that? I am willing to trade the upper shin/leg protection for easier walkability as that is important to me.

I very well might change my mind if I get hurt in a crash. I do apriceate your opinion to help keep me safe. Is there a reason you wore the Forma lows on your Yukon trip over a larger, bulkier type boot? Is it because I'm inxperianced off road that leads to suggest a more protective boot for me? No disrespect is intended on my part.

John
  17. canoeguy

canoeguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think he is a bit confused because your post makes it sound like the boots he is asking about aren't suitable for gravel and dirt when you wore the very same boots on your trip.

Having said that The waterproofing on the Forma is what makes me hesitant because I really like the looks of their boots. But so far we have one positive experience and one negative experience in this thread.
  18. Migolito

Oddometer:
    The Yukon trip was basically a 9000 mile mostly paved road trip. There were a possibily of gravel sections on the Alcan, however, they were sparse and very well graded. The road to Tuk would have been well graded gravel as well, however, due to mud was not attempted. So, what i needed was a warm, water proof, comfortable decently protected road boat. The Forma worked. On the road I alway where separate knee shin pro. When the dirt is my target i take my full on Garne boots and the KTM 500. For your use i believe u need a road oriented boot and a dirt oriented boot. If u can only get one for now, go for more pro and less comfort.
  19. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have Forma Adventure High + Terra Evo X . Both boots are sagging so bad that I really need to change brands. The boot sag just really sort of sucks, I told the forma guys these and they were amazed I have sag but I think I need to get an MX (4-strap) boot for my kind of riding anyway.
  20. staudio

staudio Time to take a ride.....

Oddometer:
    15 Minutes north of the Golden Gate Bridge, CA
    I've owned a pair of Alpinestar Belize Drystar boots for about 6 months. Have not hiked in them but have walked around town in them a few times. Comfortable on and off the bike.
    Though not sure I would hike in them.......