"Altered Boots"

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Zodiac, Aug 17, 2001.

1. Zodiac

Zodiac loosely portrayed

Oddometer:
    I just picked up the BMW kalahari boots and discovered that although the steel tipped soles look tough, they're not very practical for street use. The steel slip on toe protectors are extremely slippery, even after grinding them up on concrete. I wouldn't want to be at an oiled tollbooth with a packed GS and have a slip up because of those shiny "taps". So I unscrewed them , easy to remove, and will have the extended front sole trimmed back to avoid looking like my boots have "clown" extenders.

Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone interested in buying a pair. They work better on street without the toe taps.

CDP
  2. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    I think I posted awhile back about removing the steel tips from the kalaharis, but crash made fun of me. go figure. Don't trim the sole...it's good protection.
  3. Zodiac

Zodiac loosely portrayed

Oddometer:
    After removing the "taps" I had a shoe repair shop cut back the "elongated" "clown toe". It looks (and functions) much better now, even find them easier to walk in. They were trimmed back so the holes from the "taps" are history - looks completely factory, can't even tell they were modified. Same width (sole to leather, above) all around now.

ps they don't look so Moon BootY anymore.
  4. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Coulda just bought some gay boots like baldy did.
    Bet they're a lot cheaper, and you can wear them to the disco too.

[​IMG]

:ymca
  5. Zodiac

Zodiac loosely portrayed

Oddometer:
    Uhhhh - - no to the peter pan reeboks on this end.

("The Disco" ? - showing your age my friend. Good for you, or as they say in L.A. = "Kudos" (uuggh) ).
  6. Zodiac

Zodiac loosely portrayed

Oddometer:
    Bothered me on the bike, I'm of the short variety 5'8" and I mostly use my toes / ball of my foot to touch down when on the bike. Walking I felt the elongated toe and didn't like it. Unatural stride. All fixed though after the modification. (look a lot less Goth cheesy too)
  7. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    oh yeah...the taps are great. only bother me when i'm walking, and I feel like breaking out the tophat and tails...

[​IMG]