Alternate use for Darien Pants

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by stevenknapp, Jan 9, 2002.

1. stevenknapp

stevenknapp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Alright...how on topic this is I'm not sure, but I got a damm kick out of this.

I was shopping for waterproof snowpants for my new-found snowboarding/falling-on-my-ass snow season hobby. Not only did I find these things expensive, but I started to think about why I needed them and walked out of the store.

Thermals and my Darien Pants did very well. 100% waterproof, even with my FWA melting what passed for "snow". Even when I was laying there for 20min trying to decide which hurt more my wrist or my head, I was suprised to find them warm enough. With just the thermals, too. The knee armor was never too stiff and worked well when kneeling. The legs fit well over the snowboard boots, and snuged down to keep snow/wind out. Nevermind the reflective tabs! :): The pants in general fit very well. Oh, while my head, wrists, and ass took a beating, my knees were fine.

Go figure. My wife was between happy (that my MC gear gets used year round) and upset (why was I boarding in my "good" MC gear). Either way my MC gear earns it's keep again...and I got thinking about a Darien Light as a winter jacket. :):

O-shen, this would be a good time to chime in with and email full of some advice on how not to catch the wrong edge and faceplant. :)
  2. Sparky

Sparky .

Oddometer:
    In days of old when real riders wore waxed cotton instead of Cordura, I used to ski in my Belstaff suit. It worked great, particularly in the kind of weather when the snow bunnies put plastic wrap over their designer ski clothing to keep the snow off.

The only problem I had with it is that it was too warm sometimes, on athletic downhill runs or cross country trails.

It attracted attention around the lodges sometimes, too. The masses weren't interested, but you only need one (or two). I occasionally called it my "Lucky Belstaff".

- S

I still have a one piece waxed cotton suit - red - that's too small for me but is just the right size for my son.
  3. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    I can verify the utility of Darien stuff in the snow. Aerostich sells a light Darien for stuff like snowboarding that looks good for layering.
  4. stevenknapp

stevenknapp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fish, what do you do in the snow?!? I thought when I mentioned the idea of enjoying winter you barfed and said "I'm a biker, I ride, that's all I do"..:):

The darienlight seemed like a cool idea until I rememebered what I paid for the Darien. :doh

Lets see...My $65 on clearance LL Bean parka, or a $500 Darien light...:scratch

Sparky, I find my HiViz darien performs a simmilar function at bike shops. Well, my "data" is many times of being ignored by women, and one really attractive woman, who rode a Honda Hawk, comming up to talk about the Darien, the RiderWarehouse plant, how she want's a Darien just like mine...20min of good conversation.

Bohn/Actionstation sells armored pants that might be a better idea given how much I fall. It has a butt pad...or I could just buy their "ButtSavr" :huh
  5. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    It's not a particularly long ride to the snow from here. Sometimes it's just a few miles.
  6. stevenknapp

stevenknapp Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. Sparky

Sparky .

Oddometer:
    My luck, on occasion, was even stronger than that. But those were different times.

- S
  8. Ron B

Ron B Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Owww! Good one Steve, I just might take another stab at rollerblades! The last time I tried it, I damn near broke my tailbone, and couldn't ride for a week!
  9. stevenknapp

stevenknapp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually my ass has plenty of natural padding. My only bad falls did in my head (nothing useful there) and my right hand.

We'll see what the doc says about the hand, it's better, but not 100%.
  10. Red Bull

Red Bull Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have use my “Knox wear” (Spandex CE armor padded “under garment” ) under my regular snow gear for my snowboarding. Ya see, I SUCK in snow boarding, however every so often… it works. Since I learned to ski in the East Coast (can we say “scccrrraaaapppe!!!” ICE) I discovered the extra padding makes a BIG difference. Now that a few more years have passed, I appreciate the padding even more! I picked up the Knox wear as a close out for ~$70. Now that I have more appropriate riding gear, I use this for all sorts of things. (Like confronting bullies like my ex-wife! or under casual clothes when I want to look like I’ve been bulking up!)
    Joking aside, I do use this body armor in the summer under regular jeans, but it gets kinda hot since it’s actually on your body. However, these pads will not shift on impact as much as my armored over-jacket/pants. Perhaps I will wear them when I try bobsledding next! :eek:
  11. twobeemers

twobeemers Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use my riding gear for snowmobiling (Motoport). All I do is wear my LaCrosse Icemans, some warm gloves and a neck gaitor in addition to thermals under the normal outfit and I'm good to go. Of course this year there hasn't been enough snow to snowmobile, but I digress. Looks good, works great and nobody gives me shit about my outfit looking really hot during the summer.
  12. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    Boy, and I thought I was the only crazy one.

I've been using my motorcycle riding pants (leather FirstGear fully padded) for two years now for Snowboarding on the East Coast. As some of you know, the slopes here are often "bullet-proof", as hard as an asphalt road. The tapered lower legs with the zippers fit beautifully in the Snowboard Boots.

I then just slip on a baggy pair of EMS gortex rain pants over top. It gives the proper "look", and the breathing waterproof function you need for the snow. The combination works perfectly! IT'S THE BOMB!

When I was first learning the snowboarding, I even wore my perforated Vanson padded jacket, with a waterproof shell over that. Very effective protection. Now, I have gotten better at carving the turns, so I just use elbow protectors and normal upper stuff.

I LOVE getting my money's worth out of my gear. Sort of like cross training. It's Cross Dressing!

later, barry