Alternative to morning coffee? EDIT: Water. It will be plain water.

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Grinnin, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used to enjoy camp mornings that included a cup of good coffee. I gave up coffee a few years ago when I found that the caffeine was responsible for some unfortunate symptoms in my body.

I'm looking at a trip that may include longer mornings in camp, just the kind of time that would make a cup of joe a pleasant distraction. So I'm looking for replacements.

I've tried Via instant, and it was execrable. I can't imagine there's an instant decaf that would be satisfactory. I'm willing to try some this winter if you have a suggestion, but I'll be skeptical.

Hot chocolate might work OK, or hot chocolate some days if not every day.

There are teabags of chicory blend that I'll also try. I'm sure it's not like coffee, but may be acceptable if I think of it as herbal tea.

Regular tea makes me vomit. Literally. I can only keep tea down if it follows a largish meal. This is not a fight I want to fight in camp or on a motorcycle.

I think the most practical plan is to resupply occasionally with decaf beans (ground). This would involve the whole routine with brewing equipment just like coffee. I was glad to be free of the supplies and equipment for overnight camping, but I think for this longer trip I'll need to pay more attention to making each camp more enjoyable.

So if you have a morning alternative to coffee, please suggest it.

Thanks.

EDIT: Plenty of responses from people who didn't read any of the above. I'm mostly done reading or replying to this thread because of the suggestions for tea or caffeine. You can all share this thread for suggestions without my responses. Water worked fine while camping last month in fairly cool temperatures. That's where a cup of something hot is most attractive and a cup of hot water works.
  2. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    Seems there are two ways to do this - you can either go through the whole thing of somehow getting ground decaf and having to actually brew a cup and haul all of the associated accouterments around with you. Or, you can submit to the belief that camp coffee just isn't as good as your local barista, pinch your nose and suck down some instant with the trade off that you carry less stuff and spend less time making it. When camping, the fact that it's a warm beverage means more to me than if it's good coffee, so anything will do - tea, chocolate, or sh*t instant coffee.

I appreciate a good cup of coffee and will smell and eat beans at the store to select the right one, but I'm not picky and will gladly drink just about anything, always black. Instant takes no time and gets the nod from me. I use Alpine Start, but I've just checked and they don't make a decaf version. Via is probably as good as you're gonna get.

If I were the type to haul around anything resembling a camp kitchen (...I'm not), I'd probably bring one of those Mocha Pots and whatever grind I'm into at the moment.
    Grinnin likes this.
  3. trumpet

trumpet Group W Bench

Oddometer:
    Any black cuppa joe is better than none. I tried many instant coffees until I found a palatable one for traveling and camping purposes. Boil some water and add crystals, done. Cafe Bustelo, cause you asked. But you'll have to work your way through decaf's, good to keep in mind that true dark roasts have less caffine than lighter roasts.

Otherwise, it's grab a cup somewhere on the road.
    Grinnin likes this.
  4. Grinnin

Oddometer:
    Thanks both.

I have often ridden a bit before the first cup of coffee and find that works for me. For this trip, however, I need something for in camp for trails where there's no restaurant for hours. I AM the type to haul a small camp kitchen around. My coffee kit of choice was the very compact folding Ortlieb filter holder.
  5. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    If you problem is with caffeine, chocolate and tea might not be great replacements. Decaf might be OK, but I've never really seen the attraction of it. It's like non-alcoholic beer.

When I don't drink coffee in the morning, I drink orange juice. It's got good vitamins, and gives me energy in a different way than coffee. The only down side for me is that it sometimes gives me heartburn. If you have a generally sensative stomach, you may want to try orange juice at home before on the road.

I just thought of another substitute that has always been easy on my stomach. I have no idea if it contains caffeine, though. Thai iced tea. I first tried it in a Thai restaurant, then ran across it in a little Asian market I was working near. You might be able to find it online.

In a restaurant...
    [​IMG]

Edit: On Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Taste-Nirvan...ocphy=9032290&hvtargid=pla-667107050132&psc=1
    [​IMG]
  6. Grinnin

Oddometer:
    Thai iced tea is apparently tea, milk, and sugar. The milk would keep it from causing me to vomit, but I'm not likely to carry either milk or canned beverages.

A packet of instant hot chocolate has about 5mg of caffeine. That's about 1/5th of what's in a cup of tea, 1/10th of what's in a cup of black coffee, or much less than that of what's in many specialty coffee drinks. Hot chocolate from a cafe may have a lot of caffeine. I can easily deal with 5mg a day from an instant packet. I can deal with a cup of regular coffee once or twice a week. I haven't experimented to find my exact tolerance. I certainly want to stay below 200mg per week for the trip.

The attraction of decaf is that it's hot and I'd hope it would be flavorful. I'd hope for the same things from an herbal tea but I'm not looking for the bright flavors from so many herbal teas.

The more I think about it, a packet of Swiss Miss each morning may be the best plan.

Thanks.
    High Country Herb likes this.
  7. AwDang

AwDang Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. ERRN

ERRN Huh! What?

Oddometer:
    Black Rifle Coffee Company they have an instant which is way better than Via
  9. Grinnin

Oddometer:
    I didn't see the instant in decaf. I'm also not sure how to resupply with something like this while on a longer trip.
  10. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I sometimes have hot water and lemon juice which is also good for desolving kidney stones and hydrating. But I prefer coffee still.:*sip*
    DyrWolf, johnwoodsrides and Grinnin like this.
  11. fatbikeracer

fatbikeracer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have no idea what exerable means. Let me make a proper cup of crowfee and ponder looking yonder.
    enduro16 and Grinnin like this.
  12. Grinnin

Oddometer:
    It means something so bad that the usual words for bad fall short and only a longer word for bad will convey how bad it is. (Although it's spelled execrable.)

I want to retain the cup of something and pondering while looking yonder, but I need to do it without the caffeine.
  13. A_Vasiliev

A_Vasiliev Red, white and blue.

Oddometer:
    Chicory is a serviceable replacement for coffee, especially with cream and sugar, but I think decaf coffee would probably taste better, or at least more like actual coffee. When I look at your posts, I get the feeling you're overthinking your desires a bit, but that's just me. What's more important, the taste of the hot drink you're drinking, or the fact that you're having a hot mug of drink watching the sun rise before a day of riding your motorcycle on this beautiful earth?

For me it would be the second one, regardless if I'm drinking instant coffee, gourmet espresso filtered through the feathers of angel wings, or whatever else.
    Kenny M., AllSeasonRider and Grinnin like this.
  14. maineDave

maineDave Adventurer

Oddometer:

Yeah, this is interesting as they all contain methylxanthines, just different versions and levels.

However, if hot chocolate does not give you the adverse symptoms, but you miss the vibe of java during breaking camp - maybe a mix?
    One of my favorite parts of solo canoe or hunting trips is packing really light, so I will bring a tin of hot chocolate powder and instant coffee pre-mixed; heat water, add to oatmeal and dried fruit, add to choc/java, done. I go with the richest hot choc I can find and Folger's or whatever, does it for me. If you're picky, try some of the better brands suggested above and then work on your proportions of coffee to chocolate.

maineDave
  15. Grinnin

Oddometer:
    Coffee has been an important part of my camp mornings and with camp mornings undoubtedly being longer this trip I want to make sure I adapt well to the schedule and don't start each morning with inter-personal tensions.

This is a big change for me. I have usually toured alone, can get moving at any time (usually early), have a budget to allow stopping for coffee on the road, and could formerly tolerate any amount of caffeine. Now I am looking at a long trip with people who move later in the morning and want to avoid restaurants, plus my new intolerance for caffeine. I think my morning cup of something hot and satisfying will become more important at a time when it can't be coffee.

I will try some chicory again, and may well take both chicory (light and compact) plus hot chocolate.

I don't want to be antsy and unsatisfied with the morning routine. I need to be able to flex here for the trip to go well.

If I'm overthinking this, it's because of the social aspect of this planned trip as much as it is about the hot cuppa that I think can make the social aspect go more smoothly. I've heard that one way to have a bad vacation is to diet during it. Being unsatisfied just ratchets up any other tensions. I don't want to ratchet up tensions. I want a hot cuppa something to spend time with to help me calmly watch the world wake up.
    boulet_boulet likes this.
  16. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    I've migrated to the Starbucks instant coffee. It's more than tolerable, but before my switch, I bought empty tea bags online and filled them with my favorite coffee grounds. Reading your posts, maybe this would be a good solution? Then you can sort of stick to your routine without having to make any other adjustments.
    Grinnin likes this.
  17. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Just keep walking around camp loudly announcing "KICKSTANDS UP IN 5 MINUTES!!!"

:D
  18. Grinnin

Oddometer:
    That would certainly solve the problem of having to adapt to other peoples' schedules. :lol3
    AllSeasonRider and trumpet like this.
  19. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    On some mornings, I've been having Ca Cafe Coconut coffee which is available at Costco or online via Amazon or similar. It's pretty darn sweet so I use half the recommended amount and then add a Starbucks Via. I didn't realize there were so many variations available until I logged onto the website:

https://cacafe.com/

Maybe something there will work for you.
    Grinnin likes this.
  20. fatbikeracer

fatbikeracer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ah ha! I have never used the Queens Engrish. I love the VIA. But am asking Santa for one of these:
    Grinnin likes this.