Alternative to morning coffee? EDIT: Water. It will be plain water.

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Grinnin, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    A couple of earlier posts were about the amount of caffeine in hot chocolate. Common instant packets have about 5mg. I think that should be fine. See earlier posts to compare 5mg to amounts in coffees or coffee-shop hot chocolate.
  2. millican

millican Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ginger tea is pretty nice. You can make it at home by just steeping shredded ginger root and adding sugar to your taste preference. You can also find instant packets in the Asian food stores. With those, just add hot water.
    ACR likes this.
  3. maineDave

maineDave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here, now!
    It ain't backwaters if we're using words like 'execrable'.

maineDave
  4. Booghotfoot

Booghotfoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Call me a cheap bastard, but I'm okay with it... I grab those little coffee pouches from motel rooms and save them for camping. Just heat up a small put of water, pitch one in. Let it sit a few minutes. Agitate it. Pour a cup of coffee and enjoy. downloadfile.jpg
  5. Bovino

Bovino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Standard issue South American Mate, it's bloody awesome. Nice and bitter. As with beer and coffee, you taste needs to adapt first though. You can add mint and lemon to soften it. If you pour ice cold water in it, it changes it's taste a fair bit and get very refreshing. It's called Tereré then.
    It's very easy on your stomach, gives a nice coffee-esque kick and doens't ruin your breath.
    RoccoVa likes this.
  6. Grinnin

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestion; I'll look into mate.

EDIT: Some quick research shows that mate has a lot of caffeine. You quoted a post that says I need to avoid caffeine and then recommended caffeine?
  7. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm a self proclaimed coffee snob. I have a commercial La Marzocco espresso machine in my home kitchen. Not bragging, just illustrating that coffee is important for me. When camping coffee quality slides down the list. I'm looking to fill my morning ritual, more than taste great.

With that in mind, I just did 3 days with a GSI. It's a pretty impressive little contraption, but I'll likely go back to Via. I agree, as a nice cup of coffee Via sucks, but as a lightweight, minimalist with no rigamarole solution it's hard to beat. I'm drinking a cup of coffee with it right now, since my GS3 is in the shop. Perfectly serviceable coffee and packs down to nothing. And, you can choose from whatever decaf you currently enjoy. Of course, grinding so far ahead negates any benefit, but that's a whole nother argument.
    ACR and Grinnin like this.
  8. Bovino

Bovino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, did that. Mate has close to no Theophylline - that's what screws with your heart and makes you wanna poop.
    RoccoVa likes this.
  9. Grinnin

Oddometer:
    Yea, decaf from grounds is a rising possibility since another person on the trip will be preparing decaf. I'd have to use what I can find on the trip because I'm not carrying a 10-week supply. That GSI filter looks good. I've enjoyed the Ortlieb filter holder when I used to drink coffee, but it requires a filter every morning.

I've only seen Via packets in full caffeinated versions. I'm sure the decaf is available in most larger cities, but I remain skeptical about relying on finding this along a rural route. Again, I'm not taking 70-some packets from the start or trying to meet packages sent ahead.

EDIT: I like the Ortlieb because it has a small drain hole so the coffee is strong enough. https://www.sportive.com/ortlieb-co...site-brew-ortlieb-coffee-filter-holder-review The filters are common enough to be available in many small towns.
    When I see the GSI ultralight, I imagine water draining right out leaving me with light brown water. Not so? Even decaf doesn't have to be weak.

(So now if this turns into another coffee thread it's my fault.)
  10. Grinnin

Oddometer:
    Heart is in great shape and I have regular poops without caffeine. It's the caffeine that causes me trouble. Thanks.
    Bovino likes this.
  11. Al Tuna

Al Tuna NSFW

Oddometer:
  12. Grinnin

Oddometer:
  13. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's no different than any other filter pour over coffee. As long as you grind fine enough, you get the appropriate extraction. I'm thoroughly impressed with it to tell the truth. All the benefits of pour over, with no filters and folds flat.
  14. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    There are some mushroom based coffees out there now that you may want to investigate, I haven't tried any, I NEED my caffeine!!
  15. ExarKun

ExarKun Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have one of these as well as the extended tank with Nespresso adapter and it makes a killer cup of strong coffee, one of the very few things that I have thats a luxury item when travelling.
  16. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not taking the time to read all three pages of this, I've got a comment and a suggestion.

Starbucks Via's come in many flavors, and because one was awful to you does not mean all will be.

Try the Starbucks Via Decalf Italian Roast. It's bold, with low acid, and the rich taste Italian Roast is known for. It really is very good, and readily available. If you were near, I'd let you try one of mine.
  17. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    Depending on where you are, chrystal meth may be an option.
  18. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some fruit juices have a real kick - a whole raft to choose from.

Hot chocolate - the traditional breakfast drink in France. From the toothachingly sweet to the tongue puckeringly bitter, the choice is yours. In the shoulder or winter season, chocolat chaude is my go to day starter. The ones in cafes and bars are usually just sweet to just on the tipping point of sweet & bitter. As long as they serve it hot, I can cope with either. Best accompanied by croissants from the best boulangerie you can find. No one minds the crumbs.
    Also available in boxes or bottles from any shop. Called kakao in Germany and available everywhere.
    Unlike everywhere else I have been, Germany doesn't say some form of "decaf", which will get you what you want most places. Ask for Ohne Kaffiene (that's kaff i een).
    Best I ever had was in Italy, served as a sort of digestif, thick but not cloying. Complex, changing flavours as you drank/chewed your way down the cup. Belissima.

Partner loves Illy decaf, as she too has problems with the caffeine.
    [​IMG]
    Available all over Europe (not in the US?) The green lable one is very smooth but with a nice complex flavour profile. The also do a blue label decaf which is mild. Never had that so, no comment.

In Italy, most supermarkets have a little coffee bar, mostly dedicated (franchises maybe?) to a single brand of coffee. Illy as mentioned, Sega, Lavazza and all the rest. Compared to here, very cheap for an excellent espresso.

We take a Bialetti moka pot which works well on the trangia 27. Then you can make what ever you like.
    [​IMG]
    I think our travelling one is a 4 cup (that's espresso cups) so two dopio, enough for me.
    I noticed the other week, cheap knock offs are becoming available again, about 1/3rd the price.
  19. jkam

jkam Nomadic Man

Oddometer:
    I don't drink coffee.
    On the road, when cold, I use Nestle's Mexican hot chocolate in packages.
    It's pretty good, better than the usual Swiss Miss and other crap hot chocolate mixes.
    If I can I like to use milk instead of water, makes it better.
    I always have carried a small cooler, so I can have ice for my nightly Tequila.
    And in the morning, chocolate milk when it's too nice for hot stuff.
    [​IMG]
  20. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    How do you brew that Mexican chocolate? Its as hard as a rock.