Alternative to morning coffee? EDIT: Water. It will be plain water.

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Grinnin, Sep 24, 2019.

1. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm still looking for alternatives to posts by people who reply but haven't read the question. Any suggestions?

Looking for an alternative to coffee? Try coffee.

Caffeine is a problem? Try this caffeinated beverage!

Can't drink tea? Well, I have this loose leaf tea that is just the thing...

Looking for a beverage to linger over while soaking up the morning light? Here's some fruit.
  2. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm a big apple (small a) fan. I'm eagerly awaiting the release of the Cosmic Crisp this fall. Could be a game-changer for traveling.

But as you mentioned Red Delicious, I can already tell you're an apple lightweight. :fitz

Here's a good apple life hack. Do you carry spare shoes when you travel? I pack my apples in my spare shoes. Keeps them safe from bruising without taking up any space at all. Only problem is that it limits me to two apples.

Jamie
    Grinnin likes this.
  3. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    To be fair, my original post didn't specify that the purpose was to linger. I can't complain if people don't read posts 12 and 39 where I clarified that. Still a lot of recommendations for caffeine.

By this point, the thread is not (usually) about my original request. People will recommend their morning favorite for a general audience.
  4. Grinnin

Oddometer:
    ???

I mentioned Red Delicious as "not inviting". Is there an apple "heavyweight" anywhere who likes it?

EDIT: I did take a Liberty, packed in clothes, last month. Brown all around, but sweeter than an unbeaten apple. This is camping on a DRZ400 on rocky trails.

EDIT 2: With a Williams Pride as my early apple, and King David as the best flavor of the 8 apple trees I have, I'm done adding apple trees here. They're all apple varieties I like even if I'm a lightweight for not liking Red Delicious.
    Jamie Z likes this.
  5. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just the words "Red Delicious" sets a flag.

If you carry hiking or walking shoes in addition to your riding boots, stick an apple in each before you pack up. At least in my own experience, they don't get beat up at all. If you really want to be careful, put each apple inside a sock before you pack it in the shoe.

I used to mostly carry Granny Smith because of their durability, but now I prefer more delicate varieties, and packing them in my shoes has never left me with a bruised fruit.

Jamie
    Grinnin likes this.
  6. trumpet

trumpet Group W Bench

Oddometer:

Reading that makes me think you "are" a bruised fruit.....:photog However, nothing better than finding old apple trees on ones travels and just picking fresh. Found some great fruit that way.
  7. KirkN

KirkN Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just happened across this thread, so read your edit in the OP. (Hint: put the date on your edit, just so we can compare to the original post date and subsequent replies)

I, too, drink hot water as a sort-of substitute for coffee. That is, I still have two cups of coffee in the morning over the span of an hour or so, but then throughout the rest of the day, I like to sip something *as if* it were coffee, but not. So, hot water it is!
  8. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Went to the local farmers market on sat. morning, bought some more Rooibos and also a bag of Cox’s Orange Pippins. Sitting on the back deck right now listening to the birds, sun warming my old aching bones, enjoying a cup of one and a munch of the other. That’s what’s wrong with modern life, no one has the time to watch the world come to life.
  9. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    All the apples we have here are from the grocery store. That means all of them are a minimum 6-12 months old. Nope, not for me!
  10. Grinnin

Oddometer:
    IDK about commercial varieties, but there are heirloom varieties that taste better after storage. In general an early apple is best fresh off the tree, a fall apple is best a week or two after picking, and a winter apple should be stored for a month minimum and often for much longer.

My Black Oxford tree isn't quite ready yet for harvest. After harvest, I need to store those apples for about another month for the best flavor to develop. In past years they were still good at about New Years when I run out of apples. They'd have good flavor and crispness after that if I had more.

Not that any of that helps find decent apples in grocery stores for a trip in May and June.
  11. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    Being grumpy, ridged and critical will not endear you to riding companions, which might solve the social issues.

I can't stand coffee. Never could. Only had any quntity once under duress, with a lot of creamer and sugar. At home I have various teas (some decaff), erbal tease (some very caff), matte blends, etc. On the road I have soup. It was a struggle to get over the social conditioning that soup was not for breakfast. You were supposed to have something expensive from the coffee cabals and choke it down with a spendy candy bar. But I made it. You can linger over a pot of hot ramen soup (Made weak and hot rodded a bit) and then there are the noodles at the bottom. And it costs $.25. I like seaweed soup too, lots of different kinds of dried seaweed, chopped clams, unchopped oysters, octopus, etc. It's a solid flavorful breakfast and a big dose of fluid for the ride ahead.
  12. KirkN

KirkN Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Soup for breakfast?? Nope, that's just wrong...

:D

Why, that'd be like putting ketchup on a hot dog...

:hide

:lol3
  13. trumpet

trumpet Group W Bench

Oddometer:
    Jeez, I'm enjoying a hot pastrami and coffee for breakfast right now. If the soup was ready it'd be along for the ride..
  14. Plaka

Oddometer:
    I had Shiritaki Spaghetti w/ basil alfredo about 6 am. No soup in the hous at the moment. No ol' lady to go buy some. Hafta just drink beer.
    trumpet likes this.
  15. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your edited title rings true for me. I have been having warm/hot warm first thing in the morning.
    First thing I do when I wake up is to drink some water. Hung over, CPAP, what ever I am thirsty. It has been pretty cold lately so I have been heating up my water before drinking. Hot water taste completely different that cold Almost like a tea. This morning I was marveling at how enjoyable a hot cup of water is. I usually wait till I get to work for my first cup of coffee. It is like my reward for going to work everyday.
    So YES, plain water is my alternative to coffee.
    Grinnin likes this.
  16. Grinnin

Oddometer:
    I've been having hot water at home for a few of years. I take a thermos of hot water on cold trail rides so I'm not drinking cold water while trying to warm up.

I have relished the routine of preparing and sipping coffee while camping and wanted to continue that. Last month I found that the routine and flavor are really secondary; that a cup of hot water is fine for camping.
  17. MEDIC-0372

MEDIC-0372 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dandy Blend is what I drink. Very Very Good!!!

As good as Coffee but with none of the issues. I drink mine with 1/2 and 1/2. My wife and I carry this with us and ask for hot water at restaurants and make this at night when we don't want coffee. Great for M/C trips / hiking / camping and or car trips.

My issue with coffee is at night more so than the morning. I can drink this stuff right before going to bed with no night time issues.

IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0004.JPG IMG_0005.JPG
    boulet_boulet likes this.
  18. Plaka

Oddometer:
  19. MEDIC-0372

MEDIC-0372 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Says it on the front of the box (bottom right).

Love this stuff
  20. Plaka

Oddometer:
    yer right. I missed it. gmo keeps me alive, have to pass.