Alternative to morning coffee? EDIT: Water. It will be plain water.

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Grinnin, Sep 24, 2019.

1. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    My partner has big problems with caffeine, makes her sick and migraine-y. I have never been much of a coffee lover. I used to drink it at work because it was better than the tea. At home I prefer tea, made the proper way, boiling water, steep till strong, add milk.
    I was also informed by the physio that coffee/caffeine some how can cause/exacerbate whatever it was she was treating me for. I stopped drinking it then, and what ever it was disappeared.
    My partner is much more partial to coffee. She did a shed load of research on decaf, and she found she liked the "water" method more than "by chemicals" stuff. At home it isn't really a problem, we just do our own thing. Out on the road it can be different. Even so called coffee houses stiff using sachets for decaf - basically instant.
    Camping, I started taking a moka pot, because tea abroad is awful, and organising fresh milk on the bike is beyond me. Also, in France, fresh milk was hard to get - slightly better now, they sell tiny phials of fresh "baby" milk.
    With a bit of an adaption the cheap IKEA moka pot/Bialleti knock off works really well. I use the cheap one because the handle gets burnt. It does take up room but we can make our fist drink of the day quickly and easily.

At home we now have a Gaggia Classic, which does a decent job with either real or decaf grounds. Neither of us has enough of a coffee fetish to put up with the daily grind. I can't really tell the difference between the caf/decaf, but either is better than our neighbours automatic with built in grinder.

When it is cold, a hot chocolate can do the trick, nice and warming. Morning or evening, we use the Cadbury version made with milk, which need some planning. It is a bit sweet though, some of the French or German versions come without sugar.
    Especially in the cold mornings, just riding off to a cafe or bar is best. Stop off at a boulangerie for croissant/pain au chocolat. Sit and watch everyone else going to work. Very soothing. As long as it isn't a starbux - not very likely.

As to the somnambulist habits of fellow bikers, if they want to come along, errr sorta OK. But they either come along or stay where they are. Either suits me.
    No, guess I prefer they stay.
  2. desert sled

desert sled trail rider

Oddometer:
    go to a chinese or japanese market plenty of variety of different teas
  3. Al Tuna

Al Tuna NSFW

Oddometer:
    He's decided to go with hot water.
  4. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Tea guy here. Just regular Tetley (orange pekoe). I'll take a bag for every day I'm gone, and bring powdered milk.
  5. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. Al Tuna

Al Tuna NSFW

Oddometer:
    The OP cannot have any caffeine! For the love of Mitch! Read the thread.
  7. desert sled

desert sled trail rider

Oddometer:
    bloody hell !!!
    JustKip and Al Tuna like this.
  8. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think this thread is not for the OP anymore. It's clearly open season for any recommendations for anything.

While my "usual" will probably be water for the 2020 trip, I expect I'll have an occasional herbal tea too.
  9. Hopin

Hopin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm not opposed to coffee, chocolate, or tea for myself.

But for a good hot beverage to sip sans caffeine I find spiced caramel apple cider hard to beat! It's got just a little acetic bite that stimulates the nerves. Btw, don't knock hot jello! Yep, hot jello mix has a soothing mouth feel and you could even mix and match yourself a custom flavor!
  10. Laromonster

Laromonster Lean, mean pacifist machine

Oddometer:
    Kombucha and kale smoothie gets me going.
  11. goosecreek

goosecreek A day late and a dollar short. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Me too and then it keeps me going
  12. t-dub

t-dub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mount Hagen regular instant is our camp coffee of choice and has decaf packets available. Have a plumbed in machine setup at home but as camp coffee it is acceptable and better than most others imo.
  13. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    You know some mornings I drink BEER.
    Yinzer Moto and mouthfulloflake like this.
  14. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    For the OP or anybody else...I have an alternative that I didn't read in this thread.

I'm a real coffee lover but here's something I like when playing outdoor, especially if it's cold.

Make yourself a cup of instant chicken bouillon/broth.

Tastes great, is heartwarming and give you this mouthfilling feeling.

Not good if you're on low sodium diet though.
    MrPulldown likes this.
  15. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Is caffeine bad for me? :hmmmmm
  16. Grinnin

Oddometer:
    Caffeine is generally good for health in a variety of ways.

Unless it causes bad things in your particular body. There are a variety of ways that coffee can be bad for people.

I take it you didn't read even 2 sentences of the opening post?
    sro99 likes this.
  17. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Come on, don't be so grumpy.
  18. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    I did read your opening post which lead me to asking my question. You said caffeine was responsible for some unfortunate symptoms in your body. It got me thinking of some new symptoms I'm feeling and never thought of caffeine as the culprit. I should try eliminating it from my diet for 10 days and see what happens.

You said "There are a variety of ways that coffee can be bad for people." Could you please elaborate?
  19. Grinnin

Oddometer:
    I'd say talk to your doctor.
    sro99 likes this.
  20. MEDIC-0372

MEDIC-0372 Been here awhile

Oddometer: