Alternatives to Motion X GPS?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by fv9, Apr 19, 2016.

1. fv9

fv9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been using Motion X for a year now and have enjoyed it. However, recent reviews have said it is no longer being supported and may be going away. If that is the case, does anyone have an iPhone app alternative? I love being able to record my tracks and load others. Offline GPS use is VERY handy as well and, actually, required as Im sure you are aware. Any recommendations for alternatives are appreciated!
  2. Waterdog08

Waterdog08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use REVER. They have a free service and a pay program. The pay service opens up some extra features.
  3. fv9

fv9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can follow a gpx track offline via gps?
  4. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    check out the galileo app. it does not require a subscription service to be functional, works offline, and does not re-sell your tracks, like rever does
    fv9 likes this.
  5. thegarman

thegarman n00b

Oddometer:
    I just downloaded REVER and Galileo apps for my iPhone and will check them out. I was MORE than disappointed that MotionX went out of business - I had been using it for 3 years and it rivaled the best Garmin I've owned. I have been using both Apple and Google maps, but am not thrilled with either as they don't have a fraction of the features MotionX did : - (
  6. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are plenty of other options on iOS... search "navigation" in the App Store. Apple Maps and Google Maps are barebones compared to CoPilot and others.
  7. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    I just downloaded a free map iOS app called "You Need A Map" LINK Looks interesting. Initial free download includes a 50-state map. Not sure yet about what-all capabilities it has for routes, but the developer's description says this--

Tap the arrow in the toolbar to enable GPS tracking. As you move, you will generate a track file which you can replay. You can also import GPX tracks generated in other programs and play them. While recording or playing a track, the map will be centered on the current location and rotated towards the direction of travel and rendered in 2D or 3D with silky smooth animation. When playing a track, you can speed up, slow down, pause, restart or skip to the end. Send your GPX tracks to other apps or email them.
    If anybody's tried it, feel free to comment.

The same developer also has another app called "Scenic Map" LINK On this one, I'm not sure but I think you have to pre-load the map sections you need when you have connectivity. These get cached on your iPhone or iPad, then get deleted to make room for newer maps sections you download. Here's what the guy says about tracking for Scenic Map--

Your tracks can be replayed with video like controls to speed up, slow down, pause, restart or skip to the end. You can display existing tracks while recording another if you want to retrace your route. When online, you can automatically create a route from your current GPS location to any other point on the map. Tracks can be received from or sent to other apps in GPX format. GPS recording stops automatically after you have remained stationary for some time or you can choose to manually stop tracking by tapping on the top track in the Tracks view.
    Gatornation likes this.
  8. thegarman

thegarman n00b

Oddometer:
    I've just been reading about what appears to be a great dual-sport GPS app for the iPhone that's called "Gaia GPS: Topo Maps and Trails for Offline Hiking and Camping" for $19.99. I've read terrible reviews about all Garmin GPS units that I've considered for my upcoming COBDR ride, and I've reviewed everything from the little $170 eTrex 20x on up (and seriously...I won't be spending $500-600 for a motorcycle-specific GPS!!) Here's a great link (below) that makes me think of using the Gaia app with my iPhone 6S for the trip. The big plus is that the phone's GPS functions will work without needing a signal from your carrier (AT&T, Verizon, etc.) Now I need to figure out how to load all my COBDR .gpx files. Perhaps someone who's used this app on their iPhone will chime in soon!

http://www.adventurealan.com/iphone-gps-map-backpacking/
    ohgood likes this.
  9. fv9

fv9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Id love to hear how this works for you.
  10. PDX Alamo

PDX Alamo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pocket earth pro for the iPhone , absolutely the best I've found.
    ohgood and fv9 like this.
  11. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    I like Pocket Earth too. Did you have any trouble downloading the offline maps? The free maps come through OK, but I'm having trouble downloading the North America Topo ($9.95).
  12. PDX Alamo

PDX Alamo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had no trouble with the maps so far, I have not tried the topo ones yet they must have just added those.
  13. FirePig

FirePig Ah'm a pig. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh bloody friggin hell! I loved Motion X. Used it in Baja as well as on wildland fires throughout California. I have Gaia GPS but it isn't as useful.
  14. Jnelson41

Jnelson41 n00b

Oddometer:
    Big time bummer! Ive spent a ton of time researching GPS units for an upcoming COBDR trip, and then this morning I read a thread where someone mentioned Motion X. I downloaded the app, imported the COBDR gpx tracks and have been fiddling with it all day, only to find that it may not be the golden ticket I was hoping it was! Back to the drawing board...

Would love to hear more options for the iPhone though, its looking like that may be a pretty cost effective way of staying on track. A Life proof case is about $40 and a handlebar mount is about the same, so I could have a nice, color, touchscreen device, for under $100. And not have to carry multiple devices, charging cords, etc.
  15. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    Take a long look (and try) GalileoPro. Also, get a SlipGrip RAM holder for the iphone w/Lifeproof case - it's far superior, simpler, stronger and cheaper than the Lifeproof handlebar mount.
    EmmEff likes this.
  16. bwoodsom

bwoodsom n00b

Oddometer:
    Navigon, CoPilot and Sygic are all good offline GPS tools. The paid versions allow you to create routes with up to 25 waypoints and don't use data. Navigon even has a scenic route option that works good in a pinch.

Bob
    ohgood likes this.
  17. caljw

caljw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I lost my Garmin and decided to try iPhone. Gaiagps is very good. I actually think it's better than Motion X. Lots of maps and very intuitive. Online webpage and iPad app too, all share seamlessly. Support is great with fast response on forum from developer. What more can you ask for $20?
    Got a Ram X mount and Lifeproof Nuud case and I'm stylin. Saved cashola too. :thumb
  18. Indianhead

Indianhead Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've used several iOS navigation apps and prefer GaiaGPS to any of them. One caveat though. All my experience has been planning and navigating off-road trips in my 4Runner using a dash mounted iPad. I've been using it for 10-14 day trips through Nevada, California and Oregon over the past four years. The downloadable maps are great and it stores .gpx and .kml files.

I have recently been transitioning to DS motorcycling and I have run into a problem with it. In the truck, it is a relatively easy thing to follow the line on the iPad. With a bar mounted iPhone running the same program (GaiaGPS) it is a much more difficult proposition. The graphics on the phone are small enough to make roads and terrain difficult to distinguish at speed. "Follow the line" navigation is also a little problematic, as without turn-by-turn cues (i.e. distance to next turn) I find myself missing turns. I can get those sorts of navigation cues from google maps/apple maps/waze, etc. (like you would with a roll chart), but I can't plan routes and upload them to those apps.

So I am sort of stuck. I will probably end up with a Garmin in order to plan and navigate on my bike. Fortunately, REI's 30th Anniversary sale is right around the corner.
  19. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    android phones are plentiful, cheap, and more flexible with mapping operations. i'm not saying ios stuff is bad, just there is more to choose from, with more options on each, via android. i'm using a $30 waterproof casio myself, and used quite a few other devices that didn't suck. whatever you get, make sure it's waterproof, and has external charging points. only a few phones do this, and the standalones that do are stupid expensive.

good luck !
  20. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    A couple of thoughts. First, missing turns can sometimes be the most fun part of backcountry travel. Many a time I've found myself sailing along enjoying the road, the scenery, the weather, then looked down at my screen and Yikes! Where'd the route go? Then having to backtrack or find a workaround. I know--not very helpful. LOL

The other thought is that different iPhone offline mapping programs have different map "looks". CoPilot for instance comes with about 12 different color schemes you can switch between--one might be easier to see than another. I also really like some of the schemes used by You Need A Map (free version of Scenic Map).

But I agree that if you don't want to miss turns, it's nice to have your GPS giving you a heads up.
    ohgood likes this.