Alternatives to Motion X GPS?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by fv9, Apr 19, 2016.

1. TheWalkman

TheWalkman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Drone,

All great points.

I'm an old MotionX user and have switched to gaiagps for most of my backroad/ off-road adventuring. Gaia allows me to download many different types of maps which is great. By editing my route, I can also select a route color that stands out, especially on a sunny day.

It must be working: when doing group rides, my friends always ask me to put together the routes!

FWIW, I've been using Garmin products since the late Nineties/ 2000s primarily for hiking/ car use and always found their user interface, to put it politely, lacking. I had been considering a Garmin new unit for my motos, my wallet smarting at the thought of handing over yet another $400 - $600 to Garmin another mediocre product. Long story short, I trashed my iPhone 5 on a trip last Fall and upgraded to a 6s+, loaded Gaia on the new phone and haven't looked back. Between Gaia, Waze, Googlemaps a Nuud case - intelligent use (translation - fantastic battery life) when off the bike, I'm completely satisfied with the solution. And I'll be shorting Garmin stock.
    EmmEff likes this.
  2. garrett2323

garrett2323 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. MotoPolo

MotoPolo So many places, so little time Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have mounted an ipad mini on my bike and love it - would that be big enough screen for you to stay with Gaia?
  4. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    Where are you all hearing that Motion X is out of business? Their website is still up and it's still in the App Store.

http://gps.motionx.com/

It's the best tracking app that I've ever found, I've totally done away with GPS devices since Motion X GPS on the iPhone works so well.
    ohgood likes this.
  5. RoundOz

RoundOz Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer:
    Will any of these "best" apps give you Bluetooth turn by turn guidance? Or would you be switching between apps when you venture from City to single track ? I really like not having to take my eyes off the trail.
  6. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    Tracks don't produce turn by turn directions, routes do. Motion X GPS is a track logging app so no turn by turn.
    When I'm riding the road and want turn by turn I use Navigon which will bluetooth.
  7. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    With thoughts of having only one nav device you could potentially switch to Google or Apple maps and if I understand correctly you can download google map areas to use offline when out of cell coverage. Some features are disabled but I'm assuming turn by turn will still work. I will never know as my iPhone memory is always full...
    I think CoPilot paid-for version has turn by turn too (?)
  8. portabill

portabill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For the Bluetooth requirement, I would look at Scenic. I don't have it, but it is looking good. The developer seems responsive and is working out some kinks.

I'm perturbed at MotionX since I can't get Google Terrain maps offline any more. USGS maps are good, but I'd like to be able to get a little closer in some cases.
  9. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    They had to remove Google Terrain because of a potential law suit, you can however still download them through links to custom maps in Motion X.
    portabill likes this.
  10. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    Google maps and Apple map apps don't do track logs.
  11. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    I guess what I meant is that you can get turn by turn directions from either for road navigation (and many fire trails etc) and use any of the other gps apps listed here for off-road navigation, all on one device.
    I currently use a garmin 595 but it doesn't do great on anything other than formed roads, is horribly expensive and I can't use it to call for pizza (unless I hook it up to my 6S).
  12. portabill

portabill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I stand corrected, and glad to be corrected.

I was using Google Terrain as a custom map provider, but it quit working for me-probably for 6 months. After your comment, I tried again and it's working! It's a good day.

Thanks!
  13. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    It sure does seem to tick a lot of the right boxes. I wonder if it's maps can reside on external storage. I liked CoPilot when I had a Galaxy with virtually unlimited storage but the developers told me for iPhone use it all had to be on the phone itself.
  14. portabill

portabill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IDK. I'm pretty sure Scenic is iPhone only
  15. GCecchetto

GCecchetto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Soooo, I've just switched from a Garmin 595 to an ipad mini 4 and am already sure I will never go back to a Garmin. Of all the apps I've played with so far, earthmate, rever, gaia, pocket earth, and motionX, I like motionX hands down the best. There's just one hitch, I do longer multi state/country rides and really need the ability to have offline maps to cover the US and Canada, all of North America would be even better. The motionX offline maps are stupid huge, from what sounds like a horrible data storage scenario from what I've read. I can have great topo maps of North America free via the earthmate app and the app and all of those offline maps is only 2GB's in size. That area for MotionX is many terabytes, it's just ridiculous, as is there tool to select what to download. Anyway, enough bitching, has anyone found a work-a-round to this via the custom maps feature? I have a bunch of unlocked Garmin maps, could those possibly be loaded in?

I have not yet tried GPS Maps HD, so i guess I spend a few more bucks and try that, but just from the screenshots, it seems I'll like MotionX better. Really like the large buttons, very easy for gloved hands, and the visibility of the tracks to follow them is very good, much better than Gaia, or Pocket Earth, in my opinion anyway.
  16. viper522

viper522 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

According to the manual:
    "Terrain map tiles tend to be larger than road map tiles due to the contour data."

I'm guessing the 2GB maps are really 2D images you can scroll and zoom. After further reading, the MotionX map terrain contour data is generated based on the units of measurement you choose in the settings (miles/kms/etc) and can include full-resolution drawing at 19 different zoom levels without becoming fuzzy. I've yet to use the app for off-road use and when I did use it for a riding day trip I only used it to track and share my live location and not navi.
  17. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    I think the problem is that you're setting your zoom level in closer than level 14. Try it again but don't go any further in than that.
    Also the map set that you choose is a big factor in size. For instance a topo map takes up more room than a regular street map. I like the MotionX road map set.
  18. Traxx

Traxx Taxation is Theft Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have been using REVER scenic and copilot. Scenic is the only one that will route you with a track but in a round about way. And it always seems to crash on me. REVER now offers routes and is my go to for tracking. For point to point just get me there copilot is my choice.
    All of that aside, one problem I am having is the Texas heat. My previous 6s+ would over heat almost as soon as I stop. It’s been replaced with a 7+ and I’ll try it out this summer.
  19. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

That's the difference between image based (huge) vs vector based (tiny) map tiles. Image based are just that, images. Vector based are drawn on the fly using math.

Have you tried Osmand yet? It's not quite as full featured in the iOS client as it is the android, but it uses vector maps. You should be able to store the world on a 16gb card in vector format.
  20. GCecchetto

GCecchetto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, my main interest in motionX is for off road riding, stuff like the IDBDR. Typically those dirt roads seem to be pretty well covered by the typical base maps, even the NAV in my dodge ram shows these roads. What is your experience with motionX road map set?