Alternatives to Motion X GPS?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by fv9, Apr 19, 2016.

1. GCecchetto

GCecchetto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think the close in zoom level was 13. I'll try again with it 14, but I think the shitty selection tool is part of the issue well. Wish you could just select by state/province, or better yet by tiles inside them. Does anyone know if you select a smaller area to download, and then go back and do that again in a different area, does it add to the previous download, or right over it?
  2. GCecchetto

Oddometer:
    Didn't you post some info from motionx about memory used to store the tiles where even a blank tile with no info uses something like 8mb's?
  3. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    Yeah the roads map set does show quite a bit of dirt roads in the areas that I ride.
  4. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    When I go from 14 to 15, it’s like going from 1 gig to 15 gig in most cases.
    You can make that circle into an oval to reduce the size. You can have multiple small areas loaded at the same time.
  5. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

Probably not, I only have about five minutes of use with iOS devices unfortunately. I'm just parroting what others have said about Osmand on iOS devices.
  6. GCecchetto

Oddometer:
    Sorry, it wasn't you. I pasted in the text from the posty in another thread. This is the issue with MotionX maps and why they are so huge apparently. Sounds like it just inefficient.

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of getting an iPad Mini to use when traveling on the bike, and it would be a big bonus if it could be used for navigation as well. I already have quite a few Garmin map sets in the gmapsupp.img format that I would like to use, is there an iOS app that can read them?

If not, does anybody know if Google maps - which I hear can be loaded up on MotionX - are a good alternative for South and Central America, outside of populated areas?

Cheers,
    Lukas

MotionX maps are huge memory hogs due to the way they are made.
    From my old thread:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=779927

this sums it up:

from motionx

Hi XXXXX,
    At this time no changes have been made. Allow me to explain what is occurring. The perceived discrepancy comes from the filesystem block size. The iOS filesystem uses a block size of 4KB. That means every file is stored in multiples of 4KB. So a 10 byte file, a 500 byte file, and a 3.9KB file all use 4KB of storage. A 13KB file uses 16KB of storage, and so on.

These two factors combine for the perceived discrepancy. Another example is if map download set of only 20 tiles is 100KB. But each tile is 5KB of data and takes 8KB to store, making the actual disk usage 8KB*20 = 160KB. As you can see this can really add up when you have many sparse road or terrain tiles that are really only a few hundred bytes, but all require 4KB to store.

All the best,
    Marcus Poteete
    ohgood likes this.
  7. GCecchetto

Oddometer:
    Maybe, but You Need A Map also has a nice shaded terrain map and it's quite compact in size.
    ohgood likes this.
  8. GCecchetto

Oddometer:
    Buy the way, since there was discussion earlier in this thread about MotionX being gone, that isn’t the case. I was emailing back and forth with them today. They’re actually pretty responsive.
    ohgood likes this.
  9. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ditto - I had three email exchanges with a very helpful Motion X expert yesterday myself. I've looked at many of these iPhone apps and think Motion X is still the best for dual-sport riding.
    - easy import of GPX tracks
    - Ability to deal with many GPX tracks with a folder structure
    - Ability to change colors of tracks
    - Easy ability to add waypoints (fuel stops, etc.)
    - Drag/drop backup
    Things that would make it even better:
    - more efficient data size for offline maps
    - ability to search for businesses, etc. (e.g. fuel stations)
    Jeff@TheQuadShop likes this.
  10. kvango

kvango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Update:
    Worked in January (2020) now motionx map server no longer providing maps.

Now they are ‘gone’ from the App Store, and the service that mailed you back a gpx file no longer works. The app still works (and maps can be sourced from elsewhere).

This was the best overall app I have used regarding features and ease-of-use, recording tracks and statistics. (Co-pilot is road navigation app, completely different focus).

Instructions for changing map source:
    I haven’t done this yet, not sure if I want to give motionx 4.99 to unlock this now necessary “feature”
    https://support.motionx.com/

Loved the summary provided (and ability to email track)

E257AE04-92BA-4863-AF00-ED47C3BA243F.jpeg 125E6D3F-29E8-495C-9B0D-4ED0D9FB2C53.jpeg

Edit: I started using the app last week, but thought the map ‘would pop up eventually’ - ended up trying to follow a track without an underlying map. ‘Sort of’ worked!
    WalterMitty2 likes this.
  11. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    That's weird, all of my map sets are working, even the Motion X ones. I never used their email, I always just email the tracks to myself.
  12. kvango

kvango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you set maps to google maps, or bing, the gps works fine as long as there is cell service. You just can’t download maps to use offline from motionx any longer, and can’t email a finished track directly from the app. If you set “map types” to motionx maps, no map available. I didn’t realize this while riding last week.

1C569AA8-259F-4410-99F8-BD5278976486.jpeg E827D08E-7881-4439-B2E8-2F3A2C723181.jpeg
  13. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    I just put mine into airplane mode and it still shows Motion X maps.
  14. kvango

kvango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice, did you download maps awhile ago? If you are in airplane mode the maps must be on the phone.

Also, you can still install MotionX-gps if the app was previously installed on a device (download in purchased apps).
    Support.motionx.com explains the situation - the motionx group has moved their focus. Sad they won’t support the app, I would gladly pay for it.

I liked both the import and export email services (email them a gpx file, and they send it back). Easy way to download on a laptop and send what you want to the phone. I might add the ability to connect to thunderforest directly ($4.99), also trying Gaia.

Besides Gaia I have OsmAnd and Locus, maps.me, pocket earth, co-pilot . . . Motionx seems to do everything I need and is very simple, the ride summaries are great.

Kevin.
  15. jamark

jamark n00b

Oddometer:
    Been a supporter of Motion-X for many years here in Australia, and with such a vast expanse of uncharted trails it has been a brilliant tool for adventure riding, far exceeding the crap Garmin which cost a $$$motZa$$ and did not survive a few corrugations! Tried lots of apps over the years and still nothing compares to Motion X. Will keep using it till it eventually dies but interested in THUNDERFOREST and any success stories riders may have in using the add-on.
  16. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I switched from MotionX to Gaia 2 years ago. Love Gaia.
  17. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    It would be a lot better if they didn't charge a subscription fee for off line maps.
  18. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It’s $20 a year. It’s worth 5 times that.
    EmmEff likes this.
  19. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    No thanks
  20. navi

navi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It wasn't free when I bought it .... they got paid, and they were paid what they asked for.