Alternatives to Motion X GPS?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by fv9, Apr 19, 2016.

1. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I must admit that I have submitted to the Garmin universe finally. I nabbed a Garmin Zumo XT with 5.5" for $449. I'll still keep MotionX on my iPhone as my main backup nav system.
  2. kvango

kvango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The XT looks interesting, finally Garmin ‘lets’ you import without tethering to a computer or basecamp. Probably the best for ease of use, and visibility, gloves . . .

I will try the thunderforest ($4.99) - but I like some of the Gaia features. - I like that it is multi platform, and the tracks in your account show up where ever logged in. Going to try my Kyocera phone, with iPhone/motionx running in my pack. Ruined my iPhone camera on the handlebar mount, another reason to keep the iPhone protected (unless using a buzzkill by Hondo garage).

Kevin
  3. WalterMitty2

WalterMitty2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    UGH!!!

I just found out that Motion-X GPS ain't around anymore. I installed it a few months ago, and was just scratching the surface in terms of learning how to work it. So today, I was going to text a few friends to download it for a trip we are planning, but first searched the App store and couldn't find it....smash cut to me googling for it and found their quote on the website that they are pulling the plug. Bummer. Now what? At the time I downloaded it, I did a little research/reading and I felt at the time that it was the best option.

I guess it's back to square one deciding which phone based GPS app I should install.

I did finally break down and get a Garmin....didn't really want to, but figured it was needed for all day use. I got a Zumo 396 and really haven't done much with it so far.

So, which App is the best???
  4. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try Guru, Gaia, OsmAnd, or Scenic
    EmmEff and WalterMitty2 like this.
  5. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    Since you already have, you can still use it. It works great for me.
    WalterMitty2 likes this.
  6. WalterMitty2

Oddometer:
    I'm leaning towards Scenic. Already watched a view videos on it (Fortnine's, which is old, but I like his reviews).

Thanks
  7. WalterMitty2

Oddometer:
    I will keep it on the phone for now, but prefer to use stuff that is still around. As said above, will probably download Scenic today.
  8. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Scenic is a very capable app. Gaia is awesome for its maps. I also use Guru Maps Pro for everything but navigation.
  9. kvango

kvango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you downloaded it at any time, you can download it again - it will be listed in your app “purchases” and still available there. You have to spend $5 to be able to download offline maps now (but app will work fine if you are in cell service area, just switch maps to google or bing. . . . .)

So far I like Gaia, like the fact it is cross-platform, cross-device so I can use it on my android Kyocera phone, and tracks will automatically be there from my Mac or IPad once I log in (and have Wi-Fi to download tracks).

Gaia is free for the first year, I paid for another year ($16, don’t buy from App Store) and have full access to all maps thru 2022.

I plan on using both Gaia and motionx for now, I still prefer the motionX interface.

Jeff@TheQuadShop likes this.
  10. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Somehow it took it until today to figure out why new MotionX map downloads weren't working. :baldy Very disappointed that they've abandoned this app, I've got a huge amount of time and tracks/waypoints invested in this app. I never did pay the $5 for custom map downloads, and can't find a way to do the "in-app purchase" to allow this. I suspect they're no longer allowed to take payments this option is no longer available, but if anyone knows how to do it I'm all ears...
  11. HardWorkingDog

Oddometer:
    Answered my own question-- nope.

They still respond to customer support though, even on a Sunday morning. I'll give the developer credit, they do have a sense of responsibility to their customers.

"...If you do not already have the Custom Map URL feature, unfortunately, it is no longer available for purchase..." from Levi Burgess/MotionX support, today at 11:30 am!
  12. WalterMitty2

Oddometer:
    I was bummed too. As a total GPS novice, I was just getting up to speed with Motion-X. Luckily, I wasn't too far along, and it still works. I have been using Scenic and I like it. I've also since purchased a Zumo, so my GPS learning has been in full affect.
  13. HardWorkingDog

Oddometer:
    I spent yesterday looking at Gaia, Guru, Scenic and OSMand. Decided to buy the mid-level Gaia membership for $17 first year, minimum required to get downloaded maps for offline use. So far I'm impressed with the quality of the topo map provided at the member level--it's based on OSM. And the downloads are FAST! At least compared to MotionX maps. I remember sitting on the ferry from Prince Rupert to Haines, trying to download the maps I needed for Alaska to MotionX...took hours and hours :lol3

The premium level allows numerous other downloadable map types, including USGS topo and USFS MVUM maps, and all can be overlayed to give you MVUM maps on satellite on topo for a lot of info on your screen. If I continue to like Gaia, will likely upgrade to Premium.

I was tempted by Scenic, but it appears to be road-focused. I didn't see topo maps available, but maybe I'm wrong? Any Scenic users that can verify?

I'd have been perfectly willing to spend $20, $30 even $50/year to MotionX to keep that app running. The map updating/serving has got to be a huge expense and I wonder if that's what did them in?
  14. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Scenic is, indeed, road focused. I've been a Scenic user since (almost) day one.
  15. kvango

kvango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, using Gaia as my primary tool. Love how it is cross-platform cloud based synchronizing. With the email import no longer available with X-motion, Gaia easier to sync up. I do everything on Mac / IOS, but use a Kyocera android phone as my GPS - no problem.

OsmAnd and Locus are for ‘hardcore’ GPS users, Gaia much easier learning curve. Still prefer some of the features of X-motion - fortunately I can still use it with thunderforest.

Kevin.
  16. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    Email import still works in Motion X for me. I'm still using as I always have but with custom maps.
  17. kvango

kvango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, I think sending a completed GPS track to yourself works, I was referring to importing. In the past, I have sent tracks to gpsimport@motionx.com and they send back a track to import.

Gaia is superior in this respect, I can create/import a track on my computer or iPad, and it will show up on my iPhone and android phone and android tablet (as long as they are connected to wifi or cell). I signed up for a paid account, which added to a free year so it was under $20 thru 2/22.
  18. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    Why would you send it to that address? I've been using Motion X ever since it was released and have never done it that way.
  19. HardWorkingDog

Oddometer:
    That was always an optional way to do it.

And I've always just used iTunes drag & drop in MotionX--still works too.
    Jeff@TheQuadShop likes this.
  20. Bullseye

Bullseye Mr. Bad Example Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been using Gaia. I love it. The cross platform functionality is amazing, never do I have to connect cables, transfer files, etc. It just works. Route planning on device/in app is easy. I upped for the Premium Membership and the variety of available maps and layers is incredible... weather, fire maps, private property data, hunting info,...

This past weekend, I spent 4 days on the bike riding off-road tracks that were from a combo of sources... my previous rides, friend's tracks , BDR routes, etc. So awesome to have all of this at your finger tips. I downloaded map data to my unit before the trip, so no connectivity required once on route.
    I used an older 8" Samsung tablet mounted to my dash with a Hondo Garage 'Big Squeeze'. The large format map and ease of 'finger panning' around the map at stops was so easy.
    I was a little worried about visibility in sunlight, but it was not bad.
    Garmin Montana is going to eBay... Garmin GPS products are just one step above a stone tablet in terms of the evolution and ease of navigation.
    0927200704d_HDR.jpg