Alternatives to Motion X GPS?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by fv9, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, I sold my Montana 3 years ago and went full Gaia on an iPhone 6s. It was really good then and has gotten even better (MUCH more maps offered) in the last year. I've done the TAT and 2.5 BDR's and loads of other 1-4 day off-road ADV trips with it- well over 10,000 miles and it is awesome.
  2. kvango

kvango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Easy way to get GPS tracks from computer (or tablet) to phone. Not going to use iTunes, ever for file transfers, and sometimes I’m using a win machine. File transfer was a weak point with motionx (and IOS until a few years ago). Any app that only uses iTunes for file transfers I skip (don’t know many besides some SSH clients).

The program has some great features, sadly it won’t be supported and updated over time. Still, going to keep it going for recording tracks. Love the track summary!

I like the Motionx interface better than Gaia - however I’ve moved to using a Kyocera android phone for handlebar mount. (due to ruining a camera, and would prefer to keep iPhone safe). Having the option of android / iOS and cloud sync now a requirement
  3. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    I don't use iTunes either, I've always just emailed them to my phone. Never had any problems with file transfers.
    kvango likes this.
  4. Addapost

Oddometer:
    I use Gaia on an iPhone. I send and receive gpx files in several different ways: email, texting to and from other phones, Air Drop between iPhones, Facebook Messenger, upload/download to/from Dropbox, and download onto the phone directly from a website.
    EmmEff and kvango like this.
  5. helix66

helix66 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A bit of a necro-bumo here but isn't that what search is for anyway!

I'm still using it but would like to replace it with a stand alone app over a subscription based one.

My issue with gaia is that it is purely subscription based, so over the years you'll be spending a lot of money on an app that can also just go away.
    I have heard that the maps are better with gaia and one of my biggest problems with motionX was it would take DAYS AND DAYS just to download an area even with minimal detail. To me that was a huge flaw and probably part of why they stopped supporting it, over taxed slow servers.

I was lucky to be able to pay the $5 and unlock the ability to add other maps to it.
    I know the manual has lot of info on adding map sources but I still find it rough to get something good and enough detail when zoomed in.

In the setup for this there is a link for a topo map that has been decent and has roads and trails on it.
    I'd rather have a standalone app than a subscription based one that can totally go away.

setup >>
    custom maps (there were a few examples and this one worked ok)

http://basemap.nationalmap.gov/ArcGIS/rest/services/USGSTopo/MapServer/tile/[Z]/[Y]/[X]

Adding this suffix worked

/tile/[Z]/[Y]/[X]
    ohgood likes this.
  6. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    I’d normally agree about preferring a stand-alone app, but that didn’t work so well with MotionX-GPS. So I’m cautiously using Gaia and hopeful that the annual subscription will in this case keep the app alive.

Map downloads are unbelievably fast with Gaia. They’ve got that part of their system optimized and it’s a pleasure to use.
    helix66 likes this.
  7. WalterMitty2

WalterMitty2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Scenic isn't bad for a simple one that is free to start with. I've also downloaded OsmAndMaps, but really haven't used it all.

With my Zumo, I have been relying less and less on my iPhone, and just have the tracks loaded in Scenic as a back up if my Zumo stops working or gets lost. Now my phone is being used for Relive
    helix66 likes this.
  8. helix66

helix66 Adventurer

Oddometer:

I know a few people that use it and swear by it, my complaint is that at $40/year it'll end up costing more than if I bought a gps unit and there's no guarantee that they won't abandon it. Way back I used to have neo-treks, that turned into something else then died.

I guess I'll check it out when I get back on the bike, hopefully in a few weeks.
    Thanks for the info!
  9. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or if you look at it the other way, you could spend that money on a GPS unit that doesn't update maps frequently enough (sometimes never without spending more money). Also, there is no GPS unit on the planet that offers the layers and options that Gaia does. You're not paying for a GPS with Gaia, you're paying for the data they provide. If all you need is a simple GPS with Gaia, you don't even need a membership.
    helix66 likes this.
  10. helix66

helix66 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good points.
    Can you load a few different layers and switch between them when you're in the middle of nowhere? (no cell signal, no wifi)
  11. Addapost

Oddometer:
    $40 a year is one of the best deals you'll ever get on anything you'll ever buy. It blows my mind they let it go for so cheap.
    The answer to this question is yes. Any map you want to use needs to be downloaded onto your phone before you leave home, just like ANY other GPS device, the maps need to be on the unit. But once you have the maps you want loaded onto your phone then you never need a cell signal and you can switch between maps or layer multiple maps at the same time if you want. And of course, if you DO have a cell signal you can use anything that you didn't load on the phone.
    flamingm0e likes this.
  12. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Only if you have downloaded that area first.

Example: I can create a route on Gaia (using their website is easy), then when I open that route on my phone/tablet, I can "download map along route" and it will give me the option of which layers I want to include in that download. Alternatively, you can just download a large swath of an area using the layers you want if you don't want to create a route first.
  13. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    EXACTLY.

I have been spoiled over the years by the likes of OsmAnd and Locus Map (openandromaps), or Guru, where I can download the entire country in one go and always have them. I hate the "Tiles" way of downloading maps like Gaia, and several others force.