alternator output

Discussion in 'KTM 950/990' started by pistilpete, Feb 22, 2006.

1. MrSandman818

MrSandman818 INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer:
    Im not sure what the actual output is but I can tell you that my 05' 950 adv so far has had no trouble running my 55watt hid low beam, 90watt heated jacket liner on full blast, heated boot liners on all the way, heated grips turned up all the way, Garmin gps, 175watt mini power inverter to charge the good ole Iphone while riding, and my new led fog lights while doing my 4 day Olympia Peninsula trip. Started right up every morning with no issues even though it dropped to 40ish degrees and rained cats and dogs on day 4.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer:
    Was running Euro Headlight, Heated Grips, Heated Vest, and a set of Lightforce 140 Lancers Auxiliary lights and never had an issue.
  3. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    FWIW I have my bike setup with heated grips, a permanent dual heat troller (I have gerbing jacket & pants) as well as aux cables to charge iphone and run the GPS etc.

What I've done is installed a volt meter in the left fairing and I just keep an eye on it during times of high usage. If it starts to get a bit low I turn things down.

Its also useful at camp at night... I can charge accessories, etc around camp and make sure I don't run the battery down too much.

Food for thought :freaky

You can see my voltmeter in the left fairing:
    [​IMG]
  4. DELTATANGO

DELTATANGO Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer:
    LED lights save a lot of juice.
  5. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    The DRZ puts out more like 187 watts at 7000 rpm.

The LC8's 450 watts is at 6000 rpm? How many ride around at that rpm? Better plan on about 350 watts at normal riding speed.

The BMW uses a real alternator that runs at 2x to 3x engine speed. It's regulator changes the output of the alternator. This is great, but it's heavy and complicated.
  6. Gustavo.Ramos

Gustavo.Ramos Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. DELTATANGO

Oddometer:
    Ha!:lol3
  8. DELTATANGO

Oddometer:
    neato
  9. mtbtweety

mtbtweety Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Old thread revivial...

While I understand alternator output, doesn't this also imply a very healthy battery? If the battery isn't particularly healthy, isn't it more likely that a higher electrical load will deplete it faster?
  10. Blackalac

Blackalac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When the bike is running and the battery is fully charged, the battery knows nothing about what the bike's load and the alternator charging rate is. The current to operate the bike flows from the voltage regulator into the motorcycle's electrical system without entering or leaving the battery The battery does smooth out the electric while the bike is running.
  11. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer:
    Then the R/R starts filling it up, as well as keeping up with the demand of the bike and accessories. If the draw exceeds the R/R capability, it will start feeling the gap. If that goes on for too long, it will get depleated. I never heard of this happening. If ABS operate, that could overload the system, but that cannot last.
    Leds are very helpful saving power.
    Cheers.