Aluminum Crush Washer

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by pschuyler, Oct 18, 2012.

1. pschuyler

pschuyler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any advice on where I can buy Aluminum Crush Washer kits, or boxes of crush washers, I never seem to have the crush washer I need when doing fluid changes until after I have started and figured out I never got one.

I have seen o-ring kits, looking for metric crush washers for BMW bikes, prefer boxes or kits, not individual washers that can be bought at beemerbone yard or dealer, etc. Bolt Depot did not have crush washers.
  2. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    im sure you can buy an assortment of alloy crush washers from mcmaster carr. they may not have an "assortment pack" but you could buy 10 of each of the sizes listed on the maxbmw parts fiche for your bike.
  3. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    one of the most useful assortments ever... solid copper washers of all different sizes. have replaced all mine with copper. nothing wrong with aluminum. copper is reusable.
  4. LoneStar

LoneStar WhoopDeDoofus Supporter

Oddometer:
    :ear
  5. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
    I just stock once every couple of years at my dealer. Since I buy most of my parts from him, they take care of me. I throw up a $ 5 bill and walk out with change and more washers than I need. What goes around, comes around. I treat them right and they do the same.
  6. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
  7. Grinder

Grinder Wrong way 'round

Oddometer:
    I bought a box of 10 or 12 at cycle gear for less than $5
  8. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Most, if not all the BMW crush washers I have seen are of the hydraulic type, narrow.I have some in just about every sizes they use....all narrow.I say most...removed one not long ago and was wide. So crushed as being sharp on the edges. No wonder that sump pan was cracked...!:eek1 Goddam PO/aircraft mechanic, I think he should have known better.:wink:

Check with an Hydraulic shop, will be a few weeks before I can get to mine for some custom work. I'll ask again but I got some there before in copper and maybe even Aluminium. Certainly the ones for the oil pressure sensor.

One of my friends is getting quite attached to his oil plug crush washer,120,000 Kms of anal oil changes, he has never replaced it or any others on his bike. Still looks like the bike....new!

On my bike, I only replace them if I feel like it, that's not very often.Never had a leak because of that since 1985 on a BMW.
  9. chollo9

chollo9 Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer:
    I agree. No telling how many other people's crush washers I've replaced in my life, but mine sure seem to be pretty durable. But then again, I'm not going to threaten myself with never bringing my vehicle back to me to have me work on it because I didn't replace it either.
  10. H96669

Oddometer:
    :rofl I see them BMW guys buy aftermarket oil filters just because they come as a kit with the precious crush washer included and the seller quotes "factory specs" for them filters.They are nothing special, I have cut up enough of them to know. Much better filters available for less money right at the Autoparts stores, but I gave up trying to tell them that. Gotta have that washer and also why I keep spares in all sizes. Couldn't find them last time,shop is too full and too small, back in went the old ones but I don't work for money so he'll be back for more. Now that I know where they are, he'll get new ones.He wasn't too worried...!:rofl

In a pinch, regular automotive nylon washers work just as good and no the plug won't fall off.For those doing roadside oil changes....remember that when you loose the OEM and don't have a spare handy. The things we did before the Internet...:rofl

Pressure lines...different story, no way I'd reuse the old ones and those should be available at most hydraulic shops. However I'll check back with mine, I do need some custom work done there soon. They do a lot of custon fuel/brake lines etc etc for the customizers/racers & tuners.

A bit of a misnomer that, crush washer, they shouldn't really crush, if so they are too tight. Yes they provide sealing but mostly there to relieve and even the tension between the plug, pan or case, otherwise the pan/case could crack.

Proper name from BMW....gasket ring. Average price is around 50 to 75 Cents.:1drink
  11. Jeff B

Jeff B Socially Awkward

Oddometer:
    Anymore I reuse them over and over and over. They never leak. If someone has an incedent of a reused crush washer alum or copper leaking, I would like to hear it. Years ago I used heat them up to anneal them, but it dosent seem to make any difference. If one would leak after tightened properly, how much could actually pass thru it?
  12. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:
    I been reusing the original washers on cars and bikes for years and haven't had one leak....
  13. VStromTom

VStromTom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Off, me too, and never a leak on any of my bikes.
  14. pschuyler

pschuyler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After reviewing all the posts, most suggest I just re-use the crush washers, that actually should not be crushed. Funny little creatures.
  15. cat

cat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, the copper washers at hardware stores are all the narrow kind. :-/

$6.36 for one 14mm copper seal! ok, it's the crushable type, but...HEH!? That seems worse than OEM parts.
  16. Twilight Error

Twilight Error Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer:
    IIRC, Beemer Boneyard sells crush washer kits that cover the oil, transmission and final drive plugs.
  17. cat

cat Long timer

Oddometer:
    ebay search results for drain plug seals... i see some car manufacturers use nylon drain plug washers. Sp why do most use aluminium or copper. (I think about 90% of the original ones on my bikes have been aluminium.)

Crush washers are the ones that do crush, like a roll shape, sort of like a spark plug washer. (Spark plug washers - don't we all use them over and over again? And isn't the seal much more critical than on a drain plug - given that it's cylinder pressure?)
  18. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure it would happen on a bike, since most of us change oil multiple times per year, but copper and copper-alloys like brass and bronze can cause galvanic reaction when in contact with aluminum.

These alloys don't mix in metal fabrication. Your results on motorcycles may be different, but given enough time and the right environment, bad things can happen.
  19. Jeff B

Jeff B Socially Awkward

Oddometer:
    Here's the reaction chart, and this is why they seem to go to the alum washer lately.

[​IMG]
  20. H96669

Oddometer:
    I should have kept that crushed one I found on a BMW, crushed enough to be sharp on the edges.:eek1 May still be kicking around the shop...:eek1

Yes it was leaking but I sure did not like the way the PO, an aircaft mechanic had reused it and then cracked the pan trying to get it to seal...:splatIn them old days, we may just have cut one out of an Ice Cream bucket lid. I like Ice Cream.....! :clapHad such a washer on the old van, lasted for years no leaks.:lol3

Had to go check the bike, Speigler brake lines came with Alu crush washers, BMW were Copper/steel banjos and bolts. Speigler Banjos are Aluminium and so are most of the BMW parts them banjos screw into with a steel banjo bolt. So far I don't see any corrosion after 2 years, but will keep an eye on that for sure.
    Just to say that I don't have a problem with interchanging Alu/Copper/Nylon depending on the application. Drain plugs, always enough oils around to protect them til the next oil change.

Anyone else looks at them little wear parts with magnifiers before making the decision to just maybe re-install them as is ?:ear