Aluminum Top Case Bracket for '19 DL1000: Most Straightforward Install? ex. Givi, SW-Motech, etc.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Barnaby'sDad, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Barnaby'sDad

Barnaby'sDad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been researching the various aluminum top cases (~42L size). The reviews for the cases are generally straightforward. They're well made and people like them.

I would have ordered something by now, but I keep balking on one brand or another due to reviews about the bracket & rack install. Consistent complaints seem to be:

1. Confusing parts ordering. ex. SW-Motech. People getting what they thought they needed for the install, only to have to go back and order extra parts. ex. Plate vs. bracket, etc.
    2. Long enough bolts not included for install. ex. Givi Monokey.
    3. Confusing installation instructions.

My question...what is flat out the most straightforward to install aluminum top case rack & bracket for a '19 DL1000/V-Strom? Price is not going to be a determining factor, as they're all equally overpriced.

I understand that my wallet is going to get "gangstered." The main driver (for the top case) is that I want something that will function and look similar to the OEM/SW-Motech panniers and be an easy and straightforward "buy once, cry once" purchase. I'm leaning towards the Givi SRA3112 (Aluminum Top Case Rack) at the moment.

I would appreciate any insight that you can offer. Thank you.:beer

Edit: Decided to go with the Givi Trekker Outback 42L w/ SRA3112 bracket.
  2. Barnaby'sDad

Barnaby'sDad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The install was drama free. A few items of note:

-The instructions mention that you need a 5mm Allen key. You will need a 5mm AND a 4mm. The 5mm is for the upper bolts, the 4mm is to remove the two lower bolts for the bracket installation.

-The tolerances for alignment of the bracket to the lower bolt are extremely tight. You’ll have to back the bolt out to where there are no threads past the fixed/mounted nut to be able to attach the bar.

-Very nice setup. It’s well made and seems pretty rugged and should be able to hold the 13 lbs specified by Givi without a problem, lol.

DB2167C4-C559-4A2F-9065-5140C4722FB8.jpeg
    Bad Dad likes this.