Am I a Dumba** or is GS-911 a POS?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by phideaux, Apr 4, 2019.

1. phideaux

phideaux Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got one last week. Trying to configure it. USB works, but it will not recognize wifi. Haven't figgered out how to have telecon with tech support so we email back and forth...1 email per night. So every night this week I post a question and then I get a response the next day. Every night since last Saturday.
    This is getting old.
    So I again pose my question....Am I a dumbass or did I purchase some snake oil?
    BTW...Being a dumbass is nothing new to me!
    Anyone have a solution to get this thing to recognize my wi-fi? I guess I could string a long USB extension over to the bike, but that's not how its advertised.

Help! Throw Fido a bone!

Fido:norton
  2. Jim H

Jim H Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fido, please advise yr/mod of motorcycle and GS911.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  3. phideaux

Oddometer:
    2015 GSAWC
  4. Jim H

Jim H Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Which Model of GS911?
  5. phideaux

Oddometer:
    GS-911wifi
  6. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you used the wi fi utility? That app should hep you. I have used wi-fi on my laptop and have no issues.

That said I ALWAYS use the USB as it is easier and faster for me especially when I travel.

I can assure you the GS-911 works well over wi-fi.

I know it is a pain in the rump because of the time difference but they have ALWAYS got me squared away. Another outlet may work for a live conversation and that is Ted Porter. I had a issue on my GS-911 and we talked it through over the phone. He is very good to say the least. Since he has supported and sold them since HEX started this, he has seen a lot and may help you pretty quickly.

My issue was my anti virus just needed a exception made for the program.

Let us know how it works out. You really did buy a great product and NOTHING comes close for service work. I just demonstrated the brake bleed shake for a inmate yesterday. It really is a great tool.
    SmittyBlackstone and Chaostrophy like this.
  7. shreksbrother

shreksbrother Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just bought one from a fellow inmate. I didn't even use a computer... I installed the app, set up the WiFi on the phone, and it has worked flawlessly.

Have you considered using your smartphone? I'm happy to give you some simple directions if you want.
    LAFS and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  8. phideaux

Oddometer:
    so sure i can use my ipad. I've downloaded the app and the ipad is on my shop home wifi. What now?
  9. nobody0101

nobody0101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can setup the GS-911 wifi two different ways: 1)Connect to the GS-911's internal wifi network, or 2) Configure the GS-911 to connect to your existing network. This explains it better: https://www.hexcode.co.za/gs-911wifi-setup
  10. Tor

Tor Imported Norwegian

Oddometer:
    The key to get your GS911 wifi up and running is to use the WIFI Utility to set up the GS911 to your wifi network at home.

I wanted to use the GS911 anywhere, so I turned on the hotspot on my iPhone, fired up the GS911 WIFI Utility, configured the hotspot in the utility, memorized the ip address, created a bookmark in the iPhone browser with same IP.

Sequence of events using the GS911 with iPhone:

1. Turn on hotspot on iPhone
    2. Connect GS911 to bike and turn on ignition. The GS911 connects to my hotspot.
    3. Open iPhone Safari browser, and use the saved bookmark (with IP saved from the WIFI Utility during setup)
    4. The browser is now connected to the GS911, and you can use all features in the GS911 menu's, due to the fact you have wifi connection anywhere you have phone data.
    You can use the GS911 app for iPhone too, you just don't have all the features available without wifi.
  11. phideaux

Oddometer:
    I've tried all I know how to do. It keeps asking for a security code , of which I have none, whenever I try to connect to the GS-911 wifi
  12. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    Ugh...WIFI is a neato thing but it’s not perfect. Best to use the USB if you can. I have unplug the family laptop every time and use it.
    Updated software and the hardwired thin hue works great...
  13. (I^2)R/746

(I^2)R/746 Rider

Oddometer:
    I have a Bluetooth model. I use the laptop in the garage and my Android phone in the field. It works well for what it is. Basically a fancy, model specific OBD-II type tool. Mostly "gee whiz" with a couple useful bits.

Try direct USB connect first and see if you can access the WiFi settings? The tool works it's just new fangled stuff. Takes some getting used to.
  14. GSMarc

GSMarc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Caution :

I remember that WIFI has a limited functions available.
    Has been developed mainly to be used in emergency in the middle of nowhere
  15. (I^2)R/746

(I^2)R/746 Rider

Oddometer:
    Haha I do recall, and still am, a bit miffed about having to pay for the Android app after purchasing the unit. Thieves....
  16. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer

Oddometer:
    I can't see the point....you can't change anything useful....
    Ken Oath and Deano747 like this.
  17. shreksbrother

shreksbrother Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I didn't pay for it on my Android
  18. bikermd

bikermd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you sure your are not setting it up with blue tooth? The standard security codes for blue tooth are 0000 or 1234. When you set up wifi you get asked for your password. If you have a win 10 machine you can find your wifi password and security setup by going to: control panel (type it in search box) network and sharing, wifi, wireless properties, security, click box show characters and that is your password. I do not have a gs911 so can't be more specific.
    Ron50 likes this.
  19. mitchapalooza

mitchapalooza Rider is Air-cooled Supporter

Oddometer:
    In theory, even without service, couldn't you still create a hotspot network that more intranet and still connect to the 911?
  20. bikermd

bikermd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yes you can just do intranet, however a lot of devices will check if they truly are connected to the internet and it may or may not work. They have a fixed IP address they ping to verify connectivity. Its also a way for the maker to see who is using their product and verify if you have legal rights to such. Passwords will still be needed if you are not running a truly open protocol. When I work on my bmw car that is an intranet open connection but I am not using wireless which adds another layer of complexity.