Am I insane? TLH in October?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by lostonwheels, Sep 2, 2014.

1. lostonwheels

lostonwheels Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I got the tires on yesterday. Just a note to anyone who might try the combo. Heidenau k60 and an arrow full exhaust on a first gen versys WILL have clearance issues!

Normal riding is fine but when the suspension decompresses they will make contact. Nothing major but now there is about a 2~3 mm gouge in the right side of the block tread.:eek1

Just something to note.

Other than that a tkc upfront with the heidenau in the back is great!
  2. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Many campgrounds are closed in MA by then.
  3. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Keep a close eye on the weather forecast. In mid-October there's a real danger of accumulating snow. I've experienced nights in the 20s up there even in very early September.

--mark
  4. grubz916

grubz916 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i did it last week of september in 2012. flies and mosquitos are all gone by then. no need for thsoe headnets you see everyone wearing in RR's. Didnt see any other bikes teh whole time.
  5. lostonwheels

lostonwheels Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Whelp I went clockwise and made it to km83 on the 510 when I hit some new grade and went off the road. Hospital in Goose bay says I broke my left arm and the bike is fubar'ed. Now I'm looking for a flight and possibly a way to ship the bike home. I'm hoping they just total it so I can cut my losses and just get home.

As a side note the people of Labrador are fantastic as I'm writing this from a complete strangers house who is putting me up until I can get a flight home.....
  6. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear this. Good luck and get fixed.
  7. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    Heal well.
    Shipping is going to be expensive as are the flights. I assume it is at Frenchies? They take good care of ADV riders.
  8. lostonwheels

lostonwheels Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well luckily the insurance is going to write it off so I don't have to ship it. The plane ticket sucks but the guy who found me towed the bike back to Goose for darn near free. So I really only have to deal with the plane ticket and hospital. (Still not sure how that works for a non citizen here...)
  9. lostonwheels

lostonwheels Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

:D

[​IMG]

:cry
  10. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good it was only an arm. I have seen some pretty good drop offs on the Labrador that usually have bigger rocks at the bottom. Must have been a bitch to get back on the road for the local who dragged it back up for you.
  11. TREE

TREE Interloper

Oddometer:
    Holy crap, you were lucky to ride down that in one piece. I have been around twice and it is such a great ride, but can bite hard.
  12. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1. Could have ended a whole lot worse -- as it has for other people who've ridden off one of those embankments. A broken arm will heal -- glad it was no worse!

--mark
  13. lostonwheels

lostonwheels Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all of the kind words they really do mean a ton! Back in the States now. Still haven't heard from the insurance company. This is my first ever "at fault" claim so I have no idea what this means for my respective premiums. (I have an otherwise clean license so I hope it's not too bad...)

I'm also hoping that the whole medical insurance thing works out as well as I've never had to deal with an out of country thing before...
  14. statsman

statsman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Canada has had Health Insurance since the 1960s. Each Province runs their own so if you get a letter with a return address of NL Health Insurance, mark it "Deceased - Return to Sender" :D
    If the Hospital didn't charge you anything at the time, your own health insurance carrier is probably a partner with the NL government.
  15. lostonwheels

lostonwheels Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok so lets see if I can't maybe learn something here. I never had the privilege of learning to ride on dirt like many did so my only exposure to low traction environments is on big heavy street bikes. Normally I get the rear sliding around on dirt and it doesn't seem to be a huge issue. This situation however was the front digging in to deep gravel and starting an oscillation of the forks. I reacted by releasing the throttle and trying to coast it out. The swings got worse though till the fork turned and the nose dug in and sent me over the bars.

So since I honestly don't know, what did I do wrong? (Ignoring entry speed as the surface change caught me off guard)

What should I have done different to avoid going down?

PS I got the bill for the ambulance. 300km round trip in what most would call a "remote" area. $115 cash price... That's cheaper than cab fare....
  16. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You let off on the throttle which loaded up the front end which made the situation more difficult to control.
    Frenchies does not have your bike.
  17. lostonwheels

lostonwheels Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I'm going to infer from that that I should have done the exact opposite and given it gas?

I'm assuming Frenchies is a bike shop? The wife of the guy who picked me up took me out to Muskrat falls the one day and pointed out the junkyard leaving town to the west. She said that actually used to be her property! It might be there? It's a darn shame too cuz I just did all the valves, fresh fluids, tires were brand new.... Started right up too after the fall!
  18. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Giving it the gas lightens up the front end and it does not dig in to the sloppy stuff. I come from total street riding as well and it took me awhile to learn to do the opposite of what my brain was telling me.
    Frenchies is the bike shop. All motorbike crash salvage ends up there. I dunno where yours is.
  19. lostonwheels

lostonwheels Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Alrighty that makes sense.

Yeah that's the hurdle right there /\/\

Hmmm. I wonder what happened to the bike then? The guy that found me towed it to his driveway, but the insurance company has his phone number and address. I can't imagine they would waste their time shipping it anywhere. Now I want to give him a call just out of curiosity:lol3
  20. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Exactly. Gravel is counterintuitive to ride; last thing you want is to put weight on the front end and allow it to dig in. Higher speed actually works a lot better on gravel. When I rode the Trans-Lab on my Tiger 800 XC, for example, I found that at 45mph it was sketchy and the bike tended to wander unpredictably, but once I accelerated to 65-70, the bike tracked straight and handled well, and it was actually a blast to ride.

Sounds crazy, but it works.

--mark