Am I insane? TLH in October?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by lostonwheels, Sep 2, 2014.

1. lostonwheels

lostonwheels Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Huh. I wish there was a less perilous way to try it out though:lol3
  2. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Faking it/Making it

Oddometer:
    Absolutely, but there isn't. I thought I knew how to ride gravel before I rode the TLH in 2008. By the time I got to Red Bay, I knew how to ride gravel. :deal

I really want to ride it again, but thus far life has intervened.

John
  3. macinnisl

macinnisl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow!! I missed all this happening! Glad you're alright!

Yeh for the gravel thing you basically need to drive painfully slow or very fast... It was gut wrenching at times but you have way more control at the higher speeds. You're far from the first person to have done the exact same thing and got off the throddle just to end up crashing. My friend worked up in Goose Bay and he said it was a fairly regular occurence.

What I can say if I thought I was a good gravel road rider before the TLH but afterwards it was like I had a Masters in gravel roads. Dempster is the plan for my PhD.

Anyways man don't loose heart, keep on top of it and do some local gravel roads near where you live. Gravel roads are a pain but the nicest places in the world in my opinion are on gravel roads and most of the world's roads are gravel. I didn't learn to ride a dirkbike as a kid but I continue my education in my adulthood.

Cheers and Ride another day!
  4. Vin

Vin Hopeless Addict

Oddometer:
    So I geuss you were INSANE.
    Glad you survived to be insane again.
    Hope you're healed by now, have the insurance check and ready to look for a bike for your next adventure.
  5. lostonwheels

lostonwheels Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lol thanks for the encouragement! The bone is all healed now and the muscles are getting better. Also a certain red 08' Versys might have followed me home from MD in my grandpa's pickup truck last month:D

........Already looking into return trip:lol3
  6. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    :1drinkI think you owe us a full ride report :1drink

We like them even if it ends in `queu de poisson`
  7. Abenteuerfahrer

Abenteuerfahrer Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer:
    Yep, you're right. Same thing happened to me in 2008 on my BMW 1200GS. Rode down the TLH near the Quebec section viewing the beautiful scenery; suddenly I wandered into the mid section where there was a high profile of rocks...started to wobble; slowed down(braked a bit-BMW has dual barking system) but still the front loaded....boom....ended up on the TLH

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since I wore all this rugged riding gear, had no injuries except hurt pride. Had difficulty righting this beast. Removed just about everything loaded on it. No damage to the bike except the right signal blinker lens.... Rode on!!:freaky

cheers...
  8. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Faking it/Making it

Oddometer:
    I think everybody takes a picture from that spot! :lol3

[​IMG]

John
  9. Abenteuerfahrer

Oddometer:
    Right John...:rofl...lovely place though:clap.

Just like this one where everybody takes a picture at the same spot:deal.

[​IMG]

It's the same 1200GS that went :muutt on the TLH -but hacked it so that the SWMBO doesn't tip over.

You gotta do these roads... Alaska... then do the Dempster to Inuvik.

[​IMG]

cheers...
  10. macinnisl

macinnisl Adventurer

Oddometer:

That's my next big trip! Gonna go the NFLD T-Rail as a warm up then hopefully get out and be one of the first people to do Alaska then Dawson City to Inuvik then to Tuktoyuktuk!! Road is going to be ready in a couple of years and I can't wait!!
  11. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are building a road all the way up there?

Details? :ear
  12. Abenteuerfahrer

Oddometer:

Yep....Sad indeed! Cheaper for the Canadian Gov't to supply provisions in the dead of winter for the tribes there- currently via Helo; via Plane, etc, $$$$ plus the slow "Ice Road" trucking.

By building the road..trucking would speed things up better and formerly separated families can travel to and fro... ! I am afraid Tuktoyatuk will become Inuvik 2 with fast food chains that proved unhealthful for the local natives.

Made an attempt in 2009 via BMW1200GS/Sidecar but had an incident in the Yukon thus abandoned the Dempster challenge.

[​IMG]

Had to challenge the Dempster somehow but due to age we went via this:

[​IMG]

You get this at the visitor center....

[​IMG]

cheers...
  13. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:

I tought that on ADV it was only say when they paved the road :norton

So that means the end of the ice road as well? Those who wanted to tackle it by bike or trike only have a few years left to do it?
  14. macinnisl

macinnisl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/north/8-facts-about-the-inuvik-to-tuktoyaktuk-highway-1.2488106

See the above link for an idea. It's a little dated article they've started the work already. Essentially they've been talking about this for a long time and finally started the work. I lived in both inuvik and fort McPherson so the ride will be a pretty emotional one for me. Still know people out there.

As far as the road ruining tuk with inuvik style stuff... Well I've spent a fair amount of time in tuk as well and I can say I don't think it'll make a big difference besides pushing some tourist dollars there. Tuk is a rough little town where the whiskey is worth its weight in gold and since they brought in a liquor restriction the problems have gone down. To be fair with a year round road open that might go back up a little.

Anyone who is willing to try that damn road when it's still an ice road can have my admiration any day! It's pretty darn cold by the time it's passable and the thing is slick! It's been done but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone... I've done it in a truck many times and that was quite enough for me. Doing it by land and seeing the pingos would be pretty awesome though!
  15. lostonwheels

lostonwheels Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sooooo.... How does first or second week of September seem weather wise? Or bug wise?...
  16. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have seen june/july ride reports with snow so in september anything can happen.

EDIT: got confused with Dempster
  17. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    You won't have any insect problems for sure , the little fellers will be wearing their parkas and muffs and their little beaks won't reach far enough to bite ya :D:rofl

Seriously though , I wouldn't think it worth the try that late. Winter is setting in soon.head south to Arizona and Mexico instead
  18. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    UT, ID, NORCAL are quite amazing in September :D
  19. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    I have been there in late Aug and Skibum 69 has done it in Sept without difficulties but the weather can get cold and snow can happen. Bugs will be lessened but no guarantees so I would not go without some Deet and a head net.
  20. Garrettpsu

Garrettpsu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Both times I've been up there have been the last week of August and first week of September. One of the times we did have an issue with ferries not running, so it's a possibility.

The bugs can still be bothersome, but aren't to the extent that they can be during the height of the summer.

That time of year is really my favorite though in terms of temps - when temps are "normal", but as we know that's hard to judge.

There can even be some issues with big storm coming up the east coast of the US to Nova Scotia. We had to make our way from Cape Breton and ditch a visit to Lunenburg one year. I always like camping around the Bay of Fundy as we drive from Lab City and end in Nova Scotia.