Am I insane? TLH in October?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by lostonwheels, Sep 2, 2014.

1. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    IMO that's the best time of year to ride the Trans-Lab. Bugs are greatly reduced and according to the locals I've talked to, the weather tends to be drier then. Days are typically pleasantly warm but not hot (ie, 60s/70s, though 50s is also possible), but it can and probably will drop below freezing at least one night of your trip. If you're camping, bring a warm sleeping bag.

Nevertheless, the weather can certainly vary considerably, so keep an eye on the forecast and plan ahead.

--mark
  2. lostonwheels

lostonwheels Adventurer

Oddometer:
    /\/\ I've looked through a couple of almanac sites concur with that statement. I'm thinking it will be about ten to fifteen degrees warmer all around than when I went last year.

Now to see if I can line my schedule up with my new Canadian family to meet up with them for an evening...:1drink

I'm still shaken by the whole south road thing, but I'd really like to check this trip of the to do list before anywhere else....
  3. lostonwheels

lostonwheels Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Whelp im in Plattsburgh tonight and starting the assault on Quebec tomorrow for the second try wish me luck!
    AdvRich and jfman like this.
  4. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    You will see a Tiger Explore headed south. Inmate Haul Ass crashed on the grader berm last week about 100miles south of Goose and is limping it home.
  5. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    Please keep us posted as I am heading that way in about 10 days time ...

Are you ride reporting or using this thread ...

Would love some pics!

What % of road is gravel vs hard top nowadays?

Peter
  6. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    FWIW - In Montreal we are currently experiencing unseasonably warm temps. September feels like July :)
  7. lostonwheels

lostonwheels Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Murph I just met the Texans in goose bay at the hardware store!

Cool ride they were doing, hope everyone makes it home ok.
  8. lostonwheels

lostonwheels Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pete, there is a 100km stretch of gravel between manic five and Gabriel. Then an 80km stretch from fire lake to Fremont. From there its all good pavement all the way to goose bay now. Then they actually have about 30km paved going south. After that though it's gravel all the way to red bay. I don't know what normal is but everyone said that the road was in bad shape right now. It deffinitly went bad after the cartright junction. Took me about 12 hours between goose bay and red bay so plan accordingly.