Am planning a cross country 50cc scooter trip in May.!!!!!

Discussion in 'Americas' started by b-dubya, Jan 30, 2012.

1. b-dubya

b-dubya Scoot scoot scoot

Oddometer:
    And obviously I have some questions and this looks like the best forum I have come across yet. First things first, can I rely on google maps' biking directions? And I am open to any and all packing, planning and route directions. I am so excited, I have never been on a solo road trip and I juts got laid off and turned thirty within a week of being laid off, so what better time than now. If anyone wants to meet up and ride some miles with me I will not say no!! I am starting from North Ga if that helps! Thanks in advance for any advice you may think will help...looking forward to meeting some of y'all out on the road!!!!:ear
  2. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    With a bit of a search, you'll find folks here on ADV that have done/attempted this. I think there was a fellow from here in CA that went west to east last year. I believe he sold the bike when he got back east.

You'll run into the obvious problems, not to discourage you. As you head west toward the mountain states with the higher passes, small cc's and weather may hinder your progress.

I'm sure you'll get some responses on this subject, should be very interesting.

BTW, how do you know you won't have a job by May?
  3. b-dubya

Oddometer:
    I was just thinking about the job part right before I read what you had written. I feel like my set of job skills would be perfect for me to be able to take a few months off and not worry or sweat life's small stuff. I am really starting to get stoked for my trip. I love meeting new faces and waking up not knowing what the day will bring. If anyone has a good route out of georgia that would be awesome, it's the hardest state so far to go west without hitting a highway.:clap
  4. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good luck and ride safely.....and enjoy it! It's entirely possible and a resonable way to travel......people in Europe and many other countries in the world ride smaller cc'd machines every day and do just fine.

No reason why you can't do it imho.....just service the living daylights out of the scoot and carry the spare's it will eat.

Don't let people try and talk you out of it....no job....no worries....maybe there will be work along the way if you are looking for it?

If you're single with no ties, then the world is your oyster as they say.......

Buy a GPS, even a cheap one, Nuvi 500 is motorcycle friendly and has all the mapping you'll need. Check Fleabay etc.....I just bought one cheap Christmas time on sale.

Enjoy.....keep us informed......:freaky
  5. b-dubya

Oddometer:
    I definetly will keep everyone's informed. I am single and if I could find work while on my scoter trip, I would be super happy. I think that may be one of the big factors for me on this trip, is finding out for myself that I can indeed get by outside of the people and places I've know my whole life. I am starting to think that maybe me getting laid off is what I needed to kick myself into high gear...anyone ever get that feeling that living the "cookie cutter" life feels like l living in a box?
  6. alicethomas

alicethomas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    >90% and <100% reliability.
    Usually 50cc aren't allowed on motorways and some other major roads, google maps doesn't always know which road is permitted and which not. 50cc tourers are not in the focus of google maps.
    Too, google maps can't now about road works, accidents and detours.
  7. Eyes Shut

Eyes Shut See no evil Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Even though you aren't on a bicycle, you might want to check out Adventure Cycling's maps and routes. They are very detailed routes and have information about stores for supplies and camping and hostels. And because these routes are developed for bicycles, they should also be good for a 50cc scooter!
    http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/index.cfm
  8. b-dubya

Oddometer:
    I did indeed check out that site, never used them before. Anyone have any experience with those? And what are the etiquette rules for accepting help on the road. Are their do's and dont's I should know about? Any advice is good advice.
  9. murmont

murmont n00b

Oddometer:
    There’s an Irish guy (Sean Dillon) on a 50cc Honda step through traveling from Alaska to Argentina right now.
    Might be worth having a read through his blog for pro’s and con’s of riding around the USA on a chicken chaser …:D
    Link : http://hondavstheworld.com/2011/08/
    Anytime I check in with him he seems to be having a great time and making progress all the time.
    He’s been on the road since last August and I think he’s around San Diego as we speak and still heading south

Best of luck and enjoy your trip.
  10. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    Good advice. DeLorme's Topo North America also has a bicycle button that works fairly well. Their maps are excellent, at least for the US. I've noticed some vagaries in their Canadian data.
  11. b-dubya

Oddometer:
    What would be better for a trip of this undertaking for me to use, tubeless tires or go with a tire that I could throw a tube into. And would it be safe to say I would get hassled by the man? In Georgia, their doesn't have to be a tag or moto license etc... I was also told that an open face helmet is better for some reason though I tend to disagree. Should I keep my full face helmet or buy a new one?
  12. Canuman

Oddometer:
    That varies from state-to-state. Here, everything that has a motor and no pedals is considered to be a motorcycle, and needs a plate, insurance, and a MC endorsement. You are less likely to be hassled on a plated vehicle.

As to the open face, they are cooler at low speeds. Frontal impact protection is much less. A dual-sport helmet or even a DOT motocross helmet may be the best compromise.
  13. b-dubya

Oddometer:
    Right on..one of my other questions I have is what would be better for stealth camping, tent or hammock and tarp? I can't stop thinking about the day I pull out of my driveway and hit the open road. My goal is to hit southern Cali and wing it from their. Is that crazy? Will be people be friendly or weird since again I'll be on a scooter and not a motorcycle.
  14. Canuman

Oddometer:
    In my opinion, a hammock is better for stealth, but a tent is better to actually get a night's sleep in.

If you stay off the main drag, I think you'll find friendly folk everywhere. That's been my experience. ADV riders are all over the country and will welcome you -- check the tent space thread. ADV cameraderie comes with chow and an unhealthy quantity of adult bev. . . be warned.
  15. b-dubya

Oddometer:
    ThAts what I was thinking as well. Well hopefully by the time I leave I'll have all the advice and tips I need, and maybe some new friends to visit on my badd ass 50cc scooter:rofl
  16. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    As for either a tent or hamock....I would always go for a tent. Think trees, most space to live in a tent if you are caught in a bad weather issue....it just makes more sense to me personally. Plus I have a bad back and can't sleep in a lazyboy or recliner, can't even imagine a hamock for my back. for sleeping in. But some swear by them I would also take a tarp big enough to cover the tent and the bike. This is what I use. I have a two man tent. I set it up right next to my bike. Kickstand side, I drape the tarp over the bike and have a pole that I use to support the centre of the other side and peg it out. This allows me to have a selter for my bike, my tent so that I can put the tent up in the pouring rain and stay dry as I'm doing it and also the tent stays dry so I don't pack down a wet tent. Everyone knows a wet tent isn't very waterproof the next night if it's raining again. You will get soaked and that means your sleeping bag will be wet....good luck drying one of those out if not in the banana belt regions.
    Yes it's another thing to carry, but IMHO, it makes up for the added hassle the first night itrains or you get a heavy dew and your bike and tent are wet in the morning. Not to mention you can sit and relax under it out of the tent if it's raining when you stop.

Just a suggestion.

Also, what are your employment skills? If you post them up perhaps someone is looking for just that on your route and can offer a few days of employment to help out the cash situation?:freaky
  17. b-dubya

Oddometer:
    That's is an awesome idea, I never thought about the tarp over the tent and bike. Many thanks for that. My job entails a lot of logistic planning, so if anyone needs help with shipping/receiving shoot me a message and I'll look you up when I make it to your area!!!! Anyways, would it be wise to see Mexico for a day while I'm along the border?
  18. Canuman

Oddometer:
    Willys, when he's not enraged, has a lot of common sense. When he's enraged, he's more difficult to deal with.

A tent and a tarp will get you through in comfort.

You can pick up jobs on the way. I did three months on tour back in the late dark ages, and made money by driving tractors, bucking and splitting wood, herding cattle, and anything else I could find. The great thing about keeping at a slow speed and off the slab is the folk that take you in really need a hand. They will give you a meal and a bunk, usually a shower, and let you into the family. You will remember it years afterward. Give people respect, and it will be returned. We are not such a bad nation. Folk need to talk. Care for them and they will return it.
  19. b-dubya

Oddometer:
    Agreed. I love this country and am making a point to meet as many folks along the way as I can!!! I will definatly start a ride report a couple of days before I head out that's for sure. And with it, I will be saving my memories for a dreary day farther down the road!! I lived to much of a party lifestyle to hard for way to long,and missed a lot,and this is a way for me to find myself again and not being able to do it would for sure be a crushing blow!! People ask me why I am gonna do this, and I know exactly why, but I haven't found the right way or words to say it. It that normal?:rofl
  20. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: