Am planning a cross country 50cc scooter trip in May.!!!!!

Discussion in 'Americas' started by b-dubya, Jan 30, 2012.

1. b-dubya

b-dubya Scoot scoot scoot

Oddometer:
    Thanks for link, I was hoping I could find a one man pop up tent, but I need to stay inside my budget !!! It looks like I could really stretch my legs out in that tent lol
  2. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    No offence to High.......but don't buy a tent that needs to be pegged down, buy a free standing tent.....at some locations, pushing pegs in will tex you to your limits and usually at night in the rain!:freaky

Take a look here....

http://www.eurekacampingctr.com/eureka/dept.asp?s_id=0&dept_id=3070

I bought a $36 two man tent....APEX2XT

These are factory seconds and returns and top quality tents!!!
  3. b-dubya

Oddometer:
    Hell yeah!!! That's what I'm looking for, just ordered my tent. Now I just have to start planning my route and I'll be ready to go!!!!!!
  4. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you realize that a 50cc scooter laden with all the necessary gear is going to be overloaded and unsafe . A day or two trip is one thing but an adventure like this is cazy.You should probably change the oil almost every day as the abuse it will be taking will be phenominal the same for the cvt belt . A 50cc with a gearbox would be much better .I had a 150cc scooter that ate belts on long rides as the heat destroys them. What type scooter is this we're talking about anyway?
  5. b-dubya

Oddometer:
    Im going on a jmstarr 50cc stock. Everything together I wil bring, ideally will way less than fifty five pounds. I know it may be more or less but I'm no where near overloading the weight capacity. I've done a couple 120 mile round trips but this by far will be my most longest road trip. The same things that could happen to my scooter, could happen just as easil to a top notch high end scooter. I know I will have some doubters, but hey, wo doesn't?
  6. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would say that as long as he doesn't wring it's neck for extended periods, what is the difference where he rides it? Around town or on a trip, the scooter doesn't know the difference where it's going from what I can gather?:huh:freaky
  7. b-dubya

Oddometer:
    :1drink
  8. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    What model scooter is it?:freaky
  9. b-dubya

Oddometer:
    Jmstarr, 50cc. Pretty reliable, Ive owned one before so I'm pretty familiar with it, inside and out. Which I hope helps lol
  10. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    You'll never make it -- that is, you'll never make it if you refuse to start.

I don't personally trust Wenzel tents or Chinese scooters, but that's because I bought plenty of the cheap stuff and had it fail on me. When I bought the stuff, I couldn't afford better, and through each failure learned where the weak points were the next time.

I've never had "top notch" equipment, but I've been further than many have been on what I bought.

My first religious experience was being given last rites at a few hours old. I got beyond that.

You may never get over the state line, but you'll never know until you try. Put the heavy stuff low, drink plenty of water, keep your bowels clear, and report in regularly. :clap
  11. b-dubya

Oddometer:
    I really appreciate you words of wisdom friend!!! It means a lot.
  12. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Does your scooter have a cvt belt that could go bad on the trip? It might not be a bad idea to carry a spare if they are hard to source. If they are available through a common store such as Pep Boys, I wouldn't bother. To save weight, you can always borrow tools along the way to do the job.

Travel light, and travel far! :clap
  13. skeptic

skeptic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you read this thread?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460631

Nathanthepostman rode Australia to Great Britain (ferried a little) on a Honda 90. Quite a trip and quite an experience.

You could walk or ride a bicycle and accomplish your goal distance-wise. The issue is how much of a hassle do you want it to be and how slow do you want to go. I'd try a bigger bike just for safety and reliability, to allow for a few creature comforts and allow for setting up a charging system to charge a phone.

But if you have time and a few dollars, and nothing to hold you back, be sure to do it even if it's got to be a 50cc, and report back.
  14. bigbearjim

bigbearjim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've used Adventure Cycling Maps on three bicycle trips across the US and they are excellent and would serve all your needs. Perfect for a scooter trip. There are a few sections on every route that use 'bicycle only' paths but those can be detoured pretty easy. There are three main bicycle routes across the US. Pick one and go for it. Have Fun IMO the southern route has the best food alone the way.
  15. marmoto

marmoto n00b

Oddometer:
    Check out this guy's trip through the British Isles, Canada and the western U.S. with a Mobylette moped. I heard about his trip and contacted him while he was on the road and he ended up staying at our place for a night. Such a trip will certainly hone your mechanical skills. Lots of great photos. You will especailly like the part about waiting at a campground in Dawson Yukon in late fall with winter closing in for several weeks while parts came in from France. It's an adventure! Translation from French is required. Go to www.deniol.com
  16. Nc987

Nc987 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good luck! I rode a 50cc for five years and loved every mile. My recommendations would be to keep some spare oil on you, those two strokes will steadily go through it at extended jaunts near WOT. Which brings me to my next recommendation, try not to keep the throttle pinned for extended times, alot harder on those little bikes than running at 90% with very little actual speed difference. Pack light and enjoy and if you for some reason you make it near Canada you got a place to stay in Washington state.
  17. soldierguy

soldierguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised that nobody has brought up this yet:

http://totalruckus.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12143

Short version: A Korean guy crossed the US on a 50cc Honda Ruckus. VERY entertaining read, with lots of pics.

That should give the OP plenty of tips for the trip.

Good luck!