Amblin' about North America - half a year with a 2-wheeled home

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Sly-on-2, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Cigar

Cigar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats 100mpg

Now get out and see the world.
  2. achesley

achesley Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Great on the new ride Sly. That is just a super fun bike as I remember when I had one years ago. Glad the Ride Report keeps on continuing.
  3. MC_Collector

MC_Collector Retired and riding!

Oddometer:
    and get a 08 KLR. I had been thinking about it for a year or so and finally jumped in and did it though.
    :clap
    Great report Sly....!!
  4. RussellH

RussellH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, what a great RR. There's something about doing long trips on older bikes especially those that are considered "uncool".

I'm forwarded this to several of my friends including those that don't know squat about motorcycles. There's something for everyone in here. For me it was the bike...badass!

Please do finish and tell us about what you're up to now?
  5. gasandasphalt

gasandasphalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Super Ride Report, ridden well and written well, so, when is the next ADVenture????? :1drink
  6. AK Bear

AK Bear Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great report! Can't believe I missed it the first time. Wish you would have had a better time in Anchorage. "Hoon on the Loose", "Where in the world is Shogani" as did BE Coyote http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163317 All found the locals.

My first bike was a CB 160 so I can appreciate your "new" one. I bought mine on the way from Ancorage to Gunnison. Took a cab from the Denver airport to the nearest bike shop and bought the best looking used bike I could afford and rode to Gunnison that afternoon.

I take my hat off to you. I've been riding around the US 10 days at a time for the last few years but it really isn't the same and certanly doesn't require the amount of commitment you demonstrated. Perhaps I'll catch up with you in Denver and buy you a beer.

Take care Bear
  7. PU Skunk

PU Skunk not quite as noobish

Oddometer:
    Great RR, I read it all in less than a day, not counting sleep.:clap
  8. FLYING EYEBALL

FLYING EYEBALL out of step

Oddometer:
    One of the best I have read Sly...thank you for taking the time to do your report.

It takes some time to read through this, but its sooo worth it :clap :clap
  9. rick barclay

rick barclay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi! My first post after lurking weeks without being able to register.

I'm up to page 5 of this journal, and I must say: of all the forums I've ever been associated with, this one by far, hands down, has the best writing. Usually, when I hit the end of page one or two of a post , I get bored and
    move on. Not so with Sly's epic and also an account of a jaunt to central
    Mexico by another ADV'er whose name I've forgotten, but not his story. --And
    only about two weeks after I found this place!!!

This is better'n Hemingway! Kudo's to you, Sir Sly, and all the other Adventurers out there who post their stories so skillfully.

I'm 65, bought my first bike (2007 Honda Rebel) last July, and am presently outfitting it and
    myself to go touring--destination as yet unknown. Can't wait!

Two months after I bought my Rebel, at the urging of some fellow workers who were mocking my "lil scooter" and telling me how weird I looked on such a little bike, I bought an '88 Honda Magna V45 just to shut them up. Now they respectfully call me "Biker Dude." :D Life is sweet and futureful.
  10. Krashdragon

Krashdragon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup, Sly's story is amazing... but it ended, dang it all!
    And in case no one's told you yet, it's not WHAT you ride, it's that you DO ride!
    Watch out for the traffic out there... bunch of crazy idjut drivers!
    Y'all take care...
    Another "older but not grown up yet" rider...:D
    Mary
  11. GSIslander

GSIslander Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ive spent the last two days sitting here drinking a beer or three and reading this GRAND adventure! As everyone else has said Sly, you know how to write a very captivating story.

Id say forget your "responsible" life, get on the Oldwing, RIDE and Write. This is what you are meant to do from my perspective.
  12. bar20

bar20 n00b

Oddometer:
    Great RR!:deal I read every word. BTW I think if you had tied down your yellow sack both vertically and horizontally you wouldn't have lost it. Run a coated cable through the center as well as bungies over the top. I don't think I will make it to Alaska on two wheels but Idaho,Montana and the Dakotas are in my future. Ride safe.

Steve
  13. GLRudy

GLRudy n00b

Oddometer:
    Forgive the length of this post. It is my first here and I joined specifically to make it.

Several things struck me as you carried me through this great and wonderful adventure of yours.

When I was young I always felt the pull to travel and be an adventurer. On my bicycle, while in middle school (JR High for some), I lived in Eastern Washington state (much like Eastern Oregon), I rode my bike 20 and 30 miles to nearby towns, enjoying the freedom and solace to be had away from the family and out on my own. I always felt the road was endless and infinite, awaiting exploration.

As I got older, that dream transferred to my motorcycle life and I always intended to break away or retire to a life on the road. Exploring.

I realize now that so many things happened for you besides phenomenal luck, that really helped you do this.

First off you were able to save money during your college years.
    You were wise to take off right after graduation and do this dream of yours before the weight of the 'civilized' world came after you.
    You were young, not bad looking, slightly small of stature, outgoing, liked drinking and bars, and was not at all uncomfortable going it alone and able to ignore that what you could not do much about. You slept in the tent and ate pretty much whatever came your way. You have a wonderful disposition and view of life and you like people. A lot. You were lucky enough to have selected a Goldwing for this challenge, despite ignoring most of it's maintenance. In other words you got lucky there as well.
    (or was it wisdom?)

I was on the Saunders Goldwing board at the time you posted your help request. I remember seeing something about Chicken, AK and read your first few posts. Chickens always attract me. They are the funniest animal alive to me. I used to raise them and see striking parallels to human thinking in the way they process life. Maybe that is the funny part to me.

Anyway, I saw folks on the board jumping in and helping (as they like to do) and since I never had a GL1100 or GL1200, decided it was in better hands. Especially when exavid (Paul) got going on it. BTW, He's moved down to S. Oregon now.

Back to your RR and how it changed me...

I always had the dream to do much of what you have done but the material life always seemed to intervene.

This week I got swept up in your story as if I had gone along with you and I realized something... I could have never done it and if I had, things would have been radically different for me than you and here is why...

You are young, I am old (60)
    You are under 200 lbs, I am over 300 lbs
    You drink so bars are great social pit stops for you whereas I would have rarely gone into one. (This is really a critical difference because most of your contacts happened there and your willingness to stop and party with these folks was critical in my opinion.)
    You were able to sleep on the ground, something I can no longer do.
    You are outgoing and I tend to keep to myself in those situations.
    You are good looking, and I, well...

So picture the changes...

I would be spending WAY more $ than you because I would need hotels and more restaurants, I can't stand to be in dirty clothes. No one is ever going to offer me a place to stay because I would be over in the corner, having a drink keeping to myself and then heading out again.

Almost NONE of the cool stuff that you experienced would have happened to me that way.

And cool stuff happened because you are who you are and at the right age and at the right time in your life and because of the convictions and preparations you made to do this. Also smaller things... I would never have turned around and gone back to do the same road again. If something was out of my way, I'd consider seriously if I wanted to go there or not.

We are very different and one thing that came to me in the midst of all this was the realization that "I'll never do this." That had never occurred to me before. But then I realized that I don't have to because you brought me along for the whole trip. And you did it in a way that was way better than if I had done it myself. Way better!

Because of this, I feel like I have done it now, myself. And no longer need to. Thanks for that.

I totally underestimated the value of being attracted to bars. But in the smaller towns I can see why they are so important. They are the social centers of those communities.

A couple of things that are left for me to say are... you did a fabulous job with this and you really should consider authoring a publication sometime. It might fund your life, you never know.

My wife and I stayed in that same rainy, sandy campground on the coast of northern Oregon on an Olympic Peninsula trip with our backpacking stuff and our GL1000 back in '77. It rained the shift out of us and then the water pump shaft broke a tine and started pumping oil out like mad so bad we had to stop and get trailered back home, defeated. So, you can see that were WAY lucky with what little happened to you and your GL1200. They are ultra durable bikes but it really doesn't take much to stop you if it's the wrong thing at the wrong time.

I admire your quest and your attitude toward life. It will carry you far (as long as you don't have to work for anybody) :rofl

You Carolina boys really do know how to have a good time.
    Regards
  14. CBAT

CBAT occasional wanderer

Oddometer:
    I followed a link to your report from another report on another forum. What an awesome trip. You did it right :thumb The kind of trip I'd like to take in a few years when I retire. Great photos and great reading. THANK YOU for sharing.
  15. GSMacLean

GSMacLean n00b

Oddometer:
    I remember following your saga when you were broken down in Chicken...I read your entire report back at the end of your ride, and I read through the whole thing start to finish again a couple months ago. What a fantastic story and a fantastic experience. It allows those of us who for one reason or another may never have the opportunity to do such a thing, to live vicariously through your experiences. Bravo!
  16. stresssolutions

stresssolutions n00b

Oddometer:
    Sly, great write up...I've enjoyed the entireity of it in one sitting. What an incredible adventure/journey. I spent a few years delivering paint, and made many stop in Dodge Center not at McNeilius, but at Dickie, the brotherinlaw. :) Yes, I live in Rochester, but I wasn't riding at the time you were here.

Thanks again for taking the time to post the details and pics...I appreciate it.
  17. Laconic

Laconic Boomer Berserker Nativist Rube

Oddometer:
    Looks like Sly's last post was over a year ago.

If you're still around, thanks for the great effort you put into this RR. I know it's a lot of work.

One of the best I've read. :thumb
  18. c-ya

c-ya n00b

Oddometer:
    I too just joined up after I read this whole ride report. What a great story and adventure you had!! I see you haven't posted in a while but I hope you are still having great adventures in Colorado.

I think many people really got into your story because you did what they always wanted to do (myself included). Props to you for doing it when you had the chance. Definitely something you will remember and influence you for the rest of your life.
    :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap
  19. bikerbill2

bikerbill2 n00b

Oddometer:
    Sly, you are one hell of a motorcycle guy, thanks for sharing.

BikerBill
  20. someday adv

someday adv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been lurking about this site for about a year now, just hanging out and reading this and that. Unlike other sites I belong to, I will only post something when I am touched by what I've read or seen. Sly, your trip has hit a nerve, and is something that I too must do "someday". I however, am gonna use something a little more modern. Thanks for taking the time to bring us all along on your awesome trip!!:clap

Attached Files: