Amblin' about North America - half a year with a 2-wheeled home

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Sly-on-2, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Yorkybar

Yorkybar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Sly. I know its long after your epic ride of 2007 but I have just started to read your RR. Im up to page 12 about half way and have decided to write to you and hope that you are still in Denver.

I live in Hamburg and am coming over on the 1st of May2011 and shall be riding from New York to the west coast but I am hoping to be in Boulder weekend of 12/13/14 May . I have bought a 1996 Triumph Thunderbird
    to do this ride. I am 66 years old but feel like a teenager:wink::lol3

I am on a Triumph site here in Germany and am going to meet a fellow TTer in Boulder for the weekend, should you be around I would gladly give a round of beers out and be very pleased should I be able to meet you in
    Denver.

Once again thanks for this super RR of your epic journey.:beer
  2. Oldone

Oldone One day at a time!

Oddometer:
    Thanks Sly,

I've only been on here a couple of years but have read hundreds of RR's in that time. Yours is one of the best and I loved it. Man, I should've tried at least something like that years ago. I'm 67 now and it's a bit late although I still have two bikes. Thanks for the really interesting RR. It's been such a fun time following along.

Take care,

Gary (Oldone)
  3. SigepKat

SigepKat n00b

Oddometer:
    Epic! helluva ride
  4. BeemerBizz

BeemerBizz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sly - I was reading another RR about a couple, two up, that made a trip similar to yours.They posted a link to your RR and said it gave them inspiration to do a similar trip. After I finished their report I started on yours; that was three days ago. After the first couple pages I remembered reading the start of your report years ago; the incident with the front forks made me recall your story. For whatever reason I lost track and never followed it to the end. Well, I can now say that I have read the whole saga and what an adventure! :clap

I love the way you always seemed to turning a bad situation into an unbelievable outcome.

Reading about Alaskan two wheeled adventures helps pass the time while I am serving in Iraq. So thanks for taking the time to share your adventure and making at least three of my days here bearable.

Take care!
  5. horseiron1

horseiron1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yea I read the same story. It was a great read also.. Also I wanted to thank you for your service.

And to Sly. What an amazing trip. Good Luck with whatever you do!!!!
  6. Gramp-Z

Gramp-Z Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bump : Sly , this was the first major ride report I read after finding ADV . And it is still one of my favorites . I think I have re-read it about 3 times so far . Thanks again .
  7. vicster

vicster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty damn good read, and to me it points out one more of the really good things that make advrider so addictive.
    I am very much the opposite of Sly. Nearly 30 years older, rarely drink, like new bikes, and not at all a "people person". While I realize taverns were pretty much the only thing open during the hours Sly needed to socialize, I avoid them like the plague. There's just something about me that pisses drunks off, and at 6'7" I'm easy for them to spot. Got tired of the fights back in my twenties. Plus, at least 50% of bar talk, especially daytime bar talk, is pure, unadulterated bullshit I just don't have the patience for. Oh, to be one of those people who thinks a full grown man who has a marble collection or builds a fort in his back yard out of firewood is cool! Seriously, that is such a gift! And I would just spend a little beer money on some rain gear from WalMart rather than freeze my ass off. And I don't do that well being that dirty for that long.
    My point, you ask? In spite of all these differences, I still respect his ride, and he helped settle a big question for me. I've got 6 weeks to ride this spring and couldn't decide between a dirt road emphasis DR trip, or big mile pavement Rocket 3 trip. This RR reminded me there are plenty of good roads and adventures to be had on a road bike, especially when you've only ridden in a handful of states.
    Thanks, Sly, and long live advrider.
  8. modell

modell n00b

Oddometer:
    I've read the whole RR. I loved it. I too own an '84 GL1200. I'm getting ready to restore it this winter. Man, I wish Sly would post us an update on what he's doing these days. I know he's still riding and life has obviously changed for him. But, I love the writing style and the way I couldn't stop reading until it was done. Now it's done and I'm left still wanting more...
  9. Gramp-Z

Gramp-Z Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Time for a bump on this report , everyone have a good Christmas and a great new year .:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
  10. knvduhon

knvduhon n00b

Oddometer:
    Awesome

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
  11. Marco Moto

Marco Moto Voyager Supporter

Oddometer:
    This epic RR needs a bump... Where are you Sly-on-2???