Ambrose Bierce, John Brown, Generals Meade and Lee, and Lobster and Down Easters: Georgia to Maine

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by thereal_od, Sep 13, 2021 at 10:19 AM.

1. thereal_od

thereal_od Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is almost here.

Some background: What is it? At 42 years old, it is my first multi day, cross country, motorcycle tour. Solo I might add. I've ridden on the street since I was 19, but for various reasons I have never been able to tour via motorcycle. I'm also a big history buff, so that will guide some of my destinations along the way. I hope to update this ride report nightly.

The Trip has been in the making since around March of this year. My wife's company has a corporate office in Portland Maine. She had a work trip planned for next week. Her flight and the hotel room would be on the company's dime. My initial plan was to ride up, meet up with her, hang around Portland for the week while she worked, then ride back. Well that meeting was canceled due to updated corporate COVID-related travel restrictions. I'll not get into the politics of COVID, but we talked it over and decided; we're vaccinated, we've had enough travel plans canceled over the past year and half, we are going.

The Bike - 2015 Kawasaki Concours aka The Fat Ninja

The Plan - Nothing below is in stone, just a general guideline I've made for myself. I will camp each night on the way up and back.
    • Day .5 - I leave the afternoon of the Tuesday the 21st. I plan to super slab it through Tennessee and stay the night around Bristol.
    • Day 1 - I will head up through WV, ending the day in Harpers Ferry, bypassing along the way through the small town of Bartow WV. Abrose Bierce's piece "A Bivouac of the Dead" is written about an early battle of the Civil War which took place in the area. I simply want to say I've been there, and on the map at least, the roads in the region look great.
    • Day 2 - I'll leave out of Harpers Ferry before dawn and ride through Gettysburg. I fully understand I could spend a week in the area and probably not see all that I want to see. But like Bartow, I want to say I've been there. The rest of the day, I'll mostly super slab it through Pennsylvania, into NY, Connecticut, into Mass, and end the day around Monadnock State Park New Hampshire. I'm taking a westerly route to avoid the metro areas of Baltimore, Philly, and NYC. This will be my highest mileage day at just over 500 miles.
    • Day 3 - My wife flies into Bangor International, where I'll pick her up and make the short jaunt over to Mount Desert Island/Acadia. We will be 'glamping' at an interesting resort there for four nights. I plan to eat my weight in lobster rolls and drink copious amounts of beer around the campfire each night.
    • Next, we'll leave MDI and ride down the coast to Portland, where we'll spend two nights.
    • She flies back home from there, and I ride back home. I haven't decided my exact route home yet.
    This week I will be servicing the bike, packing, testing my load plan, and finalizing my routes. I purchased the new Garmin ZUMO XT a month ago, so I'll be getting more familiar with its features as well. I'm anxious, excited, and admittedly a bit nervous. I suppose, starting this thread is a way to burn off some of that nervous energy and get my thoughts straight.

So that's IT, as it's planned now a week and a day from beginning. Not the epic RTW, Alaska to Tierra del Fuego, Siberia, or other Long Way Round-like reports we've read here. But this one is mine.

Here's a first, obligatory pic of the bike. This is Mrs. Real_OD and I last week on the Cherohala.

Fat Ninja_Cherohala.jpg
    modiorne, Suncoaster and fastring like this.
  2. Sidney

Sidney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway would be my first choice for an on-highway ride back towards Georgia.
    modiorne and thereal_od like this.
  3. thereal_od

thereal_od Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah I've been thinking along those lines. I have a good friend in Charlottesville VA who'd let me spend a night.
    joenuclear likes this.