American flag mountain KTM 990

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Dirtcar5, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Dirtcar5

Dirtcar5 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, I’m in crested butte with limited cell service trying to plan a route to American flag mountain. I’m looking at cement creek road (740) to Italian creek road (759) to the American flag road. My question is the black diamond sections on Italian creek. There are two shown. Wondering what they are like and if this is an appropriate route on a Ktm 990. The other option I see is Italian creek road from Taylor’s park but there are two black diamond sections that way as well. Any experienced rider’s help is appreciated!
    Thanks!
  2. cidi

cidi cidi Supporter

Oddometer:
    The black diamond sections are rated for mountain bikes, but you have some steep rocky sections towards the top of the mountain. Depending on your comfort level it is rideable, but personally I wouldn’t ride it alone on the 990.
    Dirtcar5 likes this.
  3. Dirtcar5

Dirtcar5 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Are you talking about Italian creek or American flag road? I was able to see a video of the ascent of American flag.
  4. cidi

cidi cidi Supporter

Oddometer:
    Italian creek road
  5. Dirtcar5

Dirtcar5 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2252B739-7DD1-4397-BE59-A81A67ADAF38.jpeg
  6. HanzoSteel

HanzoSteel n00bish

Oddometer:
    Haven't been there but found this video.

Dirtcar5 likes this.
  7. Dirtcar5

Dirtcar5 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A commenter on the video says that looks like a section that can be avoided by staying on the lower trail at the fork. I think I see what he’s talking about. Old Italian to the left and the new Italian to the right. Thanks for the video! Hoping someone that has rode the route I’m looking at chimes in.
  8. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Nobody is going to be able to tell you if you can ride that section, for one thing we don't know your skills. There's riders that could take a goldwing up that trail and other's that will struggle on a dirtbike. Plus conditions can vary widely based on the recent traffic (which is extensive at TP) and the recent rains.

Best advise is know when to turn around if it becomes an issue and have a backup plan if you're doing it alone.
    Assfault, BISHOP, DADODIRT and 4 others like this.
  9. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Stay off of 642, smack dab in the middle:

[​IMG]

642 is not listed on the trail or road lists on the map edges. For a reason.

:ricky
    Dirtcar5 likes this.
  10. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    :nod

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Dirtcar5 and Blakebird like this.
  11. CO1K

CO1K Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    642 had a name at some point in time, cannot remember it. It was doable on a 990, haven’t really ridden up there for some time. It’s just one spot that’s rough.
    Someone said “the faster you go the easier it gets”
  12. _CJ

_CJ Rugged Individualist

Oddometer:
    Indian Creek Rd is pretty rough. The trail/road to the south of flag is much easier.
  13. Dirtcar5

Dirtcar5 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comments guys. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to see them until after the ride. I made a loop from the west. Went up 744 to Reno ridge to Indian creek road. Up to the summit and back down. Continued east on Indian creek to Taylor park.

Attached Files:

nwcolorider, HanzoSteel and _CJ like this.
  14. Dirtcar5

Dirtcar5 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks ridefreak. I wasn’t looking for fatherly advice, Rather a discribtion of the black diamond sections and a suggested route from someone that has ridden them. I.e, you want to go down that section and not up it, plan your route accordingly.... etc
    thanks anyway
  15. grace

grace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you response could sound more grateful. in fact, it may sound not so grateful. you ask for help and someone offers a valid response and your tone sounds less than grateful.

all good. glad that you achieved your objective.
    norton(kel) likes this.
  16. Dirtcar5

Dirtcar5 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry about that! Didn’t mean to sound ungrateful. I do appreciate all the comments and videos, etc. it was just the one comment that didn’t really help. Seemed like a jab for even asking for help ‍
  17. Pariahtize

Pariahtize Miscategorized

Oddometer:
    Wth? RideFreak's advice was about as good (and real) as it gets. Well said 'Freak!
    Some people are so fragile.
    (And what's up with the male symbol at the end of the "jab" sentence? Lmao. . . .)
    Blakebird likes this.
  18. Dirtcar5

Dirtcar5 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you and Freak should start hanging out! I don’t know either why that symbol is there?
    Cheers
  19. BISHOP

BISHOP Roadracer goes Dirt

Oddometer:
    I'd say if you are not an experienced expert off road rider on the 990 don't even consider it. If you feel you are I would certainly recommend not doing it solo. Has potential to get gnarly on a big bike.
  20. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    That comment didn't help because you didn't end up needing it, it's excellent advise that often gets ignored by visiting motorcyclists, it's not reflection on your skills and it wasn't a jab. Put yourself in our position, we don't know you but we do know the area, it's not a graded forest road and not a simple 2 track, can anyone on here tell you it's appropriate for your 950 if they don't know your skills? We're talking a 500# motorcycle with an unknown rider on a 4WD jeep trail in the Rockies. You might ride like Chris Birch or you could have trouble holding the bike up at stoplights, we don't know.

You probably don't realize it but we get to see and hear about all the guys that don't heed that advise or have that mindset, sometimes is a request to help recover the bike, sometimes their family is on here asking for help finding loved ones. Other times we hear about their funeral, not a good feeling to hear a fellow rider didn't make it. If you're the guy that gave an unknown rider the green light that's really going to suck. My advise although not trail specific was probably the wisest of all the responses you received and that kind of thinking will likely save your ass one day. You may already know all that but since we don't know you, it's a prudent response. Take it in the spirit it was intended, a wise reminder.
    shearboy2004, Dirtcar5, ramz and 3 others like this.