American Girl Down Under - Travelbugblues on frugal traveling

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Travelbugblues, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Travelbugblues

Travelbugblues Teacher on the road

Oddometer:
    Home: Seattle. Current mission: the world!
    Thanks XRman! That's all very helpful.

Sent from telepathy using Tapatalk
  2. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:

I put a post on the S.A. riders thread telling them that you are on your way. We try to look out for waifs and strays.
  3. Kimi

Kimi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    G day Elisa ! If you need a couch or air bed, we are in adelaide hills just out of Adelaide. Have previously chatted to you via the old TWF forum.
    Pm me if you want to stay on your way over
    Kim
    Travelbugblues likes this.
  4. Travelbugblues

Oddometer:
    Pacific Ocean to Indian Ocean, Mission Quokka, begins!

I left Moruya, New South Wales and the Pacific Ocean yesterday afternoon, and rode the short distance to Canberra over the Great Dividing Range. It was a hot day in the 90s, and I was glad for my tattered Kevlar jeans and summer jacket, given to me by a motorcyclist/police officer/couchsurfer during my Europe trip several years ago.

The day was windy and hot, but relatively uneventful. $12 to fill up my tank, $8 for lunch, and $32 at a Canberra motorcycle shop for a spare tire tube, front and back bulbs and an air pressure gauge. Many of the Australian petrol stations' air gauges don't fit within the rim of motorcycle wheels, as they're mostly designed for semi-trucks, referred to here as road trains and sometimes three trailers long. I stayed with friends in Canberra, where I'm writing this brief missive and watching the trees blow around outside. It's going to be a windy ride I think, but I'm excited to see Kath and Rob at the end of the day in Wodonga!

Here's my first narrated video, on Australian wildlife and a short hike I did before setting off westward. Hope you enjoy it!

Peter640, Trip Hammer and zaTTaz like this.
  5. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    Tell Rob & Kath I said "hi".
    Travelbugblues likes this.
  6. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice video TBB!! Looking forward to more.:D
    Regards....justjeff
  7. Happyidiot

Happyidiot Busy making the dream happen !

Oddometer:

Hi Elisa, sorry about the delayed response, we are currently on Kangaroo Island, where we are staying has no phone or tv reception and the Internet is super slow.
    In my mind the Nullarbor section is from Norseman WA to Ceduna SA, it's 1200kms. That section took us 14 days of which 12 days were riding. We had headwinds 60% of the time. It was September this year and it's only suppose to be Easterlies (headwinds) 30% of the time. Talking to farmers & locals we discovered the season has started about a month early. Bummer if your riding a bicycle.

With your time frame you won't have enough time to properly enjoy South Australia's, Eyre Peninsula. If you want to do something out of the ordinary you could go into Koonalda for a look, it's an old abandon Roadhouse on the original Eyre Hwy. 100kms east of the WA/SA border, ride 20kms north on the track, there was rain water in a tank there last January. Just be warned the track is a 30 to 40km/h journey in a good 4WD. Doable on a bike or car if it hasn't rained.

Another great option that also cuts off about 300kms to Perth is the Norseman to Hyden road, 300kms of which 250kms is very good quality dirt road, and Wave Rock is at Hyden.

I realise you know it will be the start of summer, just take all the usual precautions. You may even see Jenny & I out there, we head for home about the 8th of December in a rental Camper Relocation (with bikes in the back).

Enjoy your trip.
    Will.
  8. Happyidiot

Happyidiot Busy making the dream happen !

Oddometer:
    Elisa,
    Forgot to mention we do wa
    Hi Elisa,
    Forgot to mention we are couch surfer & warm shower hosts, if you need some where to stay by all means contact us. We live 1 hour south of Perth WA, won't be home until mid December though. Go through our blog to contact Jenny or Will (in my signature)
  9. rjmorel

rjmorel Dual Sporticus

Oddometer:
    Happy Thanksgiving Elisha from the States, have a great trip and stay safe.
    Super great video, interesting and well done. I could see your grade school kiddos really enjoying this.
    self-annoyed rj
  10. Travelbugblues

Oddometer:
    A week into the trip now, and all's going well! I stayed in Canberra for a night, visiting the War Memorial (excellent!) and a friend. The next day I took off for Wodonga, 300kms down the Hume Highway. I should have gone the back way, for sure. Besides my neck feeling like it was going to break from the strong sidewind, the Hume is very boring. Save the Long Track Pantry, a great place in the middle of nowhere for lunch and coffee.

[​IMG]

I arrived in Wodonga on Thursday evening, and was really happy to see Kath and Rob, who I rode through Chile/Argentina with in 2014 on the CGL adventure! What was supposed to be a one night stay turned into three. Kath and Rob just bought a beautiful house and it was so great to get to spend time with them again. Rob helped check over my bike, and Kath put on a lovely tea party :) I made an impromptu Thanksgiving meal, and was so happy to have some good company.

[​IMG]

I also joined them for a work luncheon of Rob's, borrowing dress and heels from Kath and getting to go out and drink prosecco and cappuccinos in a gorgeous winery with their really nice friends. What a treat!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On Sunday I hit the road, the back way, to Melbourne. Winding my way through the Victorian countryside was a zillion times better than the Hume, offering sweeping views of the yellow and green landscape and rolling hills. I stopped in at the Mliawa Cheese factory, camping delicious chèvre and camembert, then going across the way for a little sauvignon blanc wine tasting. Just enough to enjoy it, and still be able to get on my bike again shortly after (which for me, means three sips).

[​IMG]

Now I'm in Melbourne with friends, before heading up the Great Ocean Road and up towards Adelaide.

Life hasn't felt all that easy lately. Tom and I broke up this summer, for the last time, and coming back here to organize and sort all my things, ship them home, and say goodbye to people and a place that's felt like home (and paradise) has left me feeling quite bereft sometimes. I'm finding that being with friends seems to be the most important thing for me right now. That, and a little journeying across this beautiful country to get some clarity and perspective. It feels good to be back on the bike, yet I'm also starting to look forward to getting back to my own house in Seattle around Christmas, and having time with friends and family there while writing and reading and contemplating life's next stage.

Till then, I'm gonna ride my ass off and go find those QUOKKAS!

Thanks for your support!
    Elisa
  11. Travelbugblues

Oddometer:
    New video on my first day riding. I wasn't very happy with this one, but have decided I just need to make them and get them out there, and I'll get better as I go (hopefully). Sounding natural is haaaaaard. Also, finding good, free, royalty free music is very difficult. If you have suggestions, please PM me!

RiderRick and just jeff like this.
  12. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Life is going well....Its time to ride! Life not going so well....ITS REALLY TIME TO RIDE!!! A little moto therapy is good for the heart.
    Best Regards....just jeff
  13. zaTTaz

zaTTaz LOUD NOISES.

Oddometer:
    'Good' and 'royalty free' are two things that never mix in my experience haha.

For the Great Ocean Rd you can shoot down Mornington Pensuila way and catch the ferry across to (just going off memory) Queens cliff? BYO snacks. The ferry food it shite.
    It's nothing exciting but it's better than the road to from Melb to Geelong (which I would also cut out completely).

Look forward to the future videos bud. Enjoy your blat around the coast :D
  14. RageAgainstTheFence

RageAgainstTheFence Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No sound on the video - anyone else?
  15. rjmorel

rjmorel Dual Sporticus

Oddometer:
    "No sound on the video - anyone else?"

I can here loud and clear, rj
    zaTTaz likes this.
  16. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can hear it loud and clear! You sound fine Elisa. Good narration.
    JJ
  17. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just watched your vids. Nicely done!
  19. GelandeRoadie

GelandeRoadie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Also, finding good, free, royalty free music is very difficult. If you have suggestions, please PM me!

Hi, have a look at this http://freemusicarchive.org - there is an FAQ section which explains how it works. I have not used any music myself, just thought it may be of interest.

Nice ride by the way, I'm enjoying your trip, thanks for sharing.

Greg
  20. Koinseb

Koinseb Adventurer

Oddometer: