American Girl Down Under - Travelbugblues on frugal traveling

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Travelbugblues, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Turborob

Turborob .

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you made it, and congrats on dodging the axe murders who apparently frequent our remote highways.

Kath could be interested in the bike; I'll chat to her tonight.

Also, for selling the bike I recommend Gumtree and looking at local Perth Facebook buy/sell pages. Many such pages have few rules, and 'spamming' when there's urgency seems kosher.
  2. Travelbugblues

Travelbugblues Teacher on the road

Oddometer:
    Home: Seattle. Current mission: the world!
    Mission QUOKKA, COMPLETE!!!!!

[​IMG]

It took 3,000 miles across Australia to get these pictures, and it was so worth it. I'm here on Rottnest island, just off the coast of Perth, after about three and a half weeks of travel. What a treat!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Meet Jag and Jas. I met these two Indian boys on the ferry over, 21 and 22 year old university students. They assured me I'd be just fine traveling along through India. "Beforrre, not so much. This yearrrr, is fine."

[​IMG]

Their first two questions: 1) Arrre you single o arrre you marrrrrried? 2) What is yourrrr job?

With those niceties out of the way, we proceeded to do a 10 mile bike loop around the island. It also happened to be Jas' first time ever swimming in the ocean!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So happy to be here!

More updates coming soon.

Sent from telepathy using Tapatalk
    scudo, Max Wedge, zaTTaz and 3 others like this.
  3. NTJosh

NTJosh Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have just spotted your post, only just missed you on your trip across the Nullabor, I rode up from Albany and across and then swung north to Alice Springs from Port Augusta.

Pity you didn't get to the top end on your bike, truly beautiful part of Australia and there would have been a bed for you in Darwin.

Good on you for getting out there and giving it a crack, I dip my hat to you - not sure I could have done it on a 250cc..like to be able to up the speed when I can.

Although I now live in the Northern Territory I was born in WA, enjoy your time there and safe t ravel s young lady..if you ever reach Darwin there is a spare room with your name on it:)

Josh
    Travelbugblues likes this.
  4. Travelbugblues

Oddometer:
    In a weird twist of events, I was asked this morning if I wanted a last minute job as Santa's little helper. $25/hour to stand by Santa and get kids to come say hello to him! Too bad an outfit wasn't provided. That would have been hilarious. Today's job will pay for all of yesterday's fun on Rottnest island! $70 r/t ferry, plus $30 for bike hire. Worth it, though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm staying with Simon and Susie, who wrote me on FB and invited me to stay with them in Perth. Lovely people, with a daughter about my age. They've done tons of international motorcycle travel too, and have amazing stories to share.

In another good turn of events, a friend, Jaakko from Finland living in Melbourne, wants to ride my bike back to Sydney for me in January. I'll be able to sell it there for a much better price (for what it's actually worth), and he'll have a fun adventure. A friend, Jacqui, who recently rode around Australia on a Postie bike, has agreed to help sell it. I feel so fortunate to have met so many nice people along my travels, and hope to do the same for anyone coming through Seattle!

5. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    Santa looks very happy this year :clap
    zaTTaz likes this.
  6. Travelbugblues

Oddometer:
    My last days in Perth! Thanks a million, Simon, Susie, Lindy, Millo and Vader!!!! Simon sent me a message on FB and invited me to stay. I'm so lucky to have met them! We rode around with a Santa and elves one evening, joined a Horizons Unlimited event another day, and generally had a great time hanging out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Too many flies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. robcig

robcig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fantastic ride report. You've probably seen more of Australia than most Australians. Enjoy your last few days and safe travels.
  8. retiredusaf

retiredusaf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the excellent ride report. Be safe
  9. live2ridetahoe

live2ridetahoe BSN, RN, CEN, TCRN, MICN

Oddometer:
    Those Quokka are awesome!! I've never heard of them. Happy holiday and safe travels!

Tahoe
  10. Animal Instinct

Animal Instinct Long timer

Oddometer:
    Merry Christmas, Elisa.

Hope all is well in your world. Looking forward to your next adventure.

Thanks for taking us along.
  11. RageAgainstTheFence

RageAgainstTheFence Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Elisa, glad ya made it out to the quokka! Did you figure out an answer to the 'what next' question yet? :)
  12. Travelbugblues

Oddometer:
    Happy New Year, friends! I'm now home in Seattle, quite happily to my surprise, and working on processing some of the footage I took. Here's a brief one on the Great Ocean Road, which is unfortunately suffering from wildfires right this moment.

scudo, Comrade Art and Te Hopo like this.
  13. Travelbugblues

Oddometer:
    Just looking forward to finding some simple happiness and pleasure from being home for a while. That, and training for a big month-long Alaska trek/ski expedition in April or May!

zaTTaz and RageAgainstTheFence like this.
  14. rjmorel

rjmorel Dual Sporticus

Oddometer:
    Superb pics and nicely done vid Elisa, I really enjoyed the Quokka pics. I could spend all day with them just watching them. Wonder if they make good pets. In my 58 years on this planet I've never even heard about them. Glad your home safe and enjoying it.
    It's 15 deg here in Walla Walla. So scheming about 2016 ride plans and just sent in my reservation for HU2016 and the Wallowa Hell's Canyon Rally. I gotta get back and see Glacier Point. Didn't know where to go or what to see when there this past Sept and I feel like I missed the best part of Yosemite . I'm rambling I know ....................................long winter. later, self-annoyed
  15. Airmail

Airmail Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very Nice video. Thanks for posting. :clap
  16. Travelbugblues

Oddometer:
    Another video complete! This one's on Portland, Victoria, and the 21st annual Christmas Toy Run.

scudo, Max Wedge, Trip Hammer and 2 others like this.
  17. Airmail

Airmail Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very nice. Looks like people are just people everywhere. To bad governments need to screw things up. But that's a whole other story. Thanks for posting Elisa. :clap
  18. prsdrat

prsdrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I keep getting "Secure Connection Failed" for videos. What gives?
  19. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Working fine for me.
    JJ
  20. Travelbugblues

Oddometer:
    Not sure what that could be! Just go to Youtube and search "Travelbugblues". They're all there!