American Girl Down Under - Travelbugblues on frugal traveling

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Travelbugblues, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Drwnite

Drwnite Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great ride report! If you intend travelling north, Darwin get in touch :-)
  2. Travelbugblues

Travelbugblues Teacher on the road

Oddometer:
    Home: Seattle. Current mission: the world!
    Working on new videos, to be put up shortly!

If anyone has some solid feedback on how to improve these videos, please send me a PM. This is a major learning curve and I have a long way to go in a short amount of time. I'm now home in Seattle, training and researching for my next adventure: skiing across the Bering Glacier and Bagley Icefield in Alaska in April or May, a 30-40 day expedition if all goes well.

I'll be making videos of the training, preparation and the expedition itself, hence the request for video feedback. Thank you!

If you've missed some videos, just Youtube Travelbugblues to check them out (or click that link). Please share via FB or any other social media!

You can follow the Alaska Expedition via my blog Travelbugblues.com or via my Facebook page. Your support throughout the motorcycle trips has been tremendously helpful, and I'd love to keep in touch with you. But of course, my moto days aren't over yet. Just taking a break to get back in shape after being in the saddle too long :)

Alaska expedition:

[​IMG]

Thanks Kevin Machtelinckx aka Ebum for this one, taken near Snoqualmie pass near home.

[​IMG]
    Linhares and scudo like this.
  3. Travelbugblues

Oddometer:
    Next video is up! Hanging out with three nice German girls and some drunk farmers in rural South Australia.

scudo, spokester, KayDubbya and 3 others like this.
  4. Airmail

Airmail Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very nice video. Seems to be a lot of flies in OZ. Are they everywhere?
  5. rjmorel

rjmorel Dual Sporticus

Oddometer:
    TBB, You asked for suggestions on making better videos. I'm certainly not finding anything wrong with your videos Elisa but thought it may give all of us some tips on things we never thought of when making vids . A 12 tip article on making better vids. Enjoy for what it's worth, rj

http://www.soundrider.com/archive/tips/Better_MC_videos.aspx
  6. sasho

sasho Dual Personality

Oddometer:
    Woohoo!! Nice farmers and drunk German girls!!! :freaky:beer:super:D

:hide
  7. rebelrider.mike

rebelrider.mike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Welcome home! I live a couple hours' drive South in Shelton.
  8. Travelbugblues

Oddometer:
    Kingston (drunk farmer territory) to HOT HOT HOT Adelaide.

scudo, Max Wedge and Balanda like this.
  9. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    Drunk farmers, I could do that, without the farming, of course!:photog
    I did, however, marry me a German girl :):sweeti
  10. Travelbugblues

Oddometer:
    The latest installment of my coast to coast/world motorcycle journey! This one comes from my blog:

Nearly three weeks into my coast to coast Australian motorcycle journey, I woke up at 8:30am to the usual sounds of Oz. Squeaky toy rainbow birds chirping happily away alongside flocks of others birds with all kinds of exotic sounds, with the occasional hurricane of semi-trucks on the Eyre highway near my bush camp. A few hundred miles west of Port Augusta, I woke up feeling content, if not a bit dazed by the sunny white brilliance above.

The father and young son I’d chosen to camp near for safety reasons were long gone, having started their day earlier than I cared to think about. This late in the morning, they’d already be a couple hundred kilometers east, on their own road trip across Australia in the opposite direction.

I packed up as quickly as I could, trying to keep the dust off my feet as I hopped around one-legged into my armored motorcycle pants among the dirt and ants. It had been a chaotic and heartbreaking couple of months leading up to this struggle into my pants in the middle of nowhere. I had decided to leave a beautiful life in Australia after this one last jaunt across the continent, and although it was my own decision, it didn’t make the going any easier. I was leaving a place I adored, and people I loved. Salty tears stained the inside of my helmet, but I had a little nugget of growing peace somewhere deep down.

My own sense of power and self sufficiency was growing steadily, in tiny increments. Life throws terrible times our way, but being out here- being so freaking isolated- was somehow a powerfully soothing force on a heart that was showing significant signs of wear and tear (I imagined my own heart, a pitifully ragged little thing in my chest held on by a few sinewy, bloody strings and duct tape). But it somehow thumped on regardless of the fresh trauma, surprising me with its strength and fortitude.

Packing up my few possessions, strapping the emergency jerry can to the back of my bike, arranging my hydration pack just so- they were all little reminders that I’d get through another day just fine. And by the end of this particular day, I’d finally make it to the Nullarbor Plains, a wild and desolate stretch of land I’d been imagining and fantasizing about for the last couple of years.

Throwing a leg over my bike and heading out West, I wondered what the next few days had in store. And where I’d find a cup of coffee in the middle of the bush.

Please share via social media or elsewhere if you're enjoying these videos! And thanks for following along :)
    scudo, Trip Hammer, Balanda and 3 others like this.
  11. Balanda

Balanda No, I don't believe I will

Oddometer:
    Well I never knew that, Nullarbor, null arbor, the treeless plain, thanks Eliza, I had always assumed it was an Aboriginal word. Sometimes things are right in front of your eyes.
  12. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    FWIW, you might want to consider augmenting your video postings with photos and copy. I've enjoyed reading your ride reports much more than the videos.
  13. ChicoProf

ChicoProf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think you are a fine narrator... but I'm with CharlestonADV about photos and text. I enjoy reading the stories and admiring the photos on ADVRider. I seldom watch videos on the site, though I have watched yours. There may be many of us who prefer the writing and stills, especially with such a skilled writer.
    Brian
  14. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    Hope you'll keep going with the vids as they excel at showing the human connection
    aspect of your travels. And all Travelers understand the significance of that experience.
    KayDubbya likes this.
  15. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the vids are great too! Keep doing what you are doing, it is YOUR ride report. Keep doing it YOUR way!
    Best Regards....just jeff
  16. advmoto66

advmoto66 Ride On!

Oddometer:
    I like the videos, especially the time you took to set up each shot, your voice and perspective add a nice personal touch. Videos capture the moment and show the beauty of the area. It's also great to meet some folks that cross paths with you on your adventure.

Thanks for sharing Alisa
    KayDubbya likes this.
  17. Travelbugblues

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback and the support. My video making skills are at the very beginner phase... A lot to be learned, especially in narration and story telling. I recall my writing being pretty shaky when I first started (well, it's still shaky!), but I think I've slowly improved over time. Hopefully the videos will, too. I really enjoy the writing process, but I also see and hear so many things I want to share via a different medium. Though I suppose I basically just think it's a fun process and a good learning experience.

Thank you for watching as I bumble along!
    scudo, Te Hopo, tomhislop and 5 others like this.
  18. arraflipper

arraflipper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow you do a great job of your videos and description of your travels are very well written. I am hoping to get to ride in Australia next year, so makes following you journey even more interesting.
    USA1 and Balanda like this.
  19. prsdrat

prsdrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While I must admit, I enjoy both your videos and prose. Only in your writing do we really understand how you are effected by
    your experiences. Thank you.
  20. Travelbugblues

Oddometer:
    The odometer showed I had ridden nearly 3,000kms from the Pacific Ocean to Eucla, on the eastern edge of the great Nullarbor Plains in Western Australia. The evening before had been an 800km day, a huge amount on my little 250cc motorbike. The wind had come from the southeast, blowing me over only slightly to my right- an improvement from the last big winds I’d experienced in Patagonia the year before when I had become used to riding at a 45 degree angle. I was lucky. In this part of the world, the westerly winds normally blew strong, thwarting progress for motorcyclists riding east to west.

In Ceduna,the last real town before entering this desolate strip of Australia, I had stopped to talk to a young motorcyclist clearly on a long journey of his own. He had started in Germany sometime before, and was thrilled to be out of the Nullarbor region and talking to another rider. He’d warned there was nothing there, saying “Nos-sing to see! Nos-sing to do! Nos-sing to eat! Get srew it as fast as you can! Ride as much as you can!” in his strong German accent.

True, I thought that evening. There had been little to see along the way. No kangaroos, wallabies or wombats. No echidnas. Only a few birds, and even those surprisingly sparse for a continent so full of wildlife and nearly always singing with birdsong. Shrubs hung low to the barren landscape, but few trees dotted the horizon, and even fewer buildings and people. I kept a wary eye on my gas tank, but wasn’t ever required to use the jerry can I had strapped, half full, to the back of my bike. It was empty, but peaceful and beautiful in its rugged, pristine state.

After unwillingly handing over my last piece of fruit to the border agents protecting Western Australia’s ecosystem from produce coming from the east, I made my way across the dusty Eucla caravan park, weaving around shiny white RVs flush with retirees cooking their evening meal.

In the empty car area, I found one lonely little tent next to an orange-dust covered Holden, a typical Aussie car. With my bike turned off, I could hear the faint voice of a young woman reading aloud in a leisurely voice, another young woman interrupting to ask her a question. It was a good spot to stop.

I gave a big stretch, trying to loosen up the muscles in my neck and shoulders, bunched from the long ride. Stripping off my armored pants and jacket, I made my way to the women’s showers and happily plunked a handful of quarters into the device next to the shower, sore shoulders and neck reveling in the heat of the water and the cleansing effect it had on body and mind. The sweat and grime of the last several days washed away, and I felt immensely grateful to have made it so far, to a place I’d dreamt of seeing.

I had finally reached the Nullarbor, but I still had a long way to go. That night, I’d head to my tent early to spend an hour or two reading before the quiet evening twilight lulled me to sleep.

scudo, globalt38, Max Wedge and 2 others like this.