American Loop - TAT and TCAT united for Adventure Happiness

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Maikel65535, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Maikel65535

Maikel65535 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    American Loop
    After Murphys Silkroad were I lost my beloved 640 in Kasachstan I found myself in a strong depression. It was not just about the bike, I also lost a lot of confidence, that I had built up during the also reported trips Balkan Compact and Siberia. In Situations like that I typically try to take the bull by the horns and start something new. I remembered Olivers idea of riding the TAT. To make that idea really epic I had the idea of adding parts of the TCAT on top and create a big “American Loop”. This rough plan is what you can see on the following picture. It would be great to have some more touristic highlights on that map especially in central and eastern America. Just comment your tipps here or click to see the interactive Map
    [​IMG]

LOM Team
    2014 Oliver and I rode Iceland together. Due to different holiday ideas afterwards we went separate ways until now. Since the idea of American Loop we run www.LinesOnMaps.com together and therefore we are the LOM Team. Oliver had already signed a sabbatical contract that offers him a free year from August 2019 and I signed one that offers the same from Mai 2019. That makes sense because I’ve never been to the USA before while Oliver has already seen a lot of the West Coast during his Pan Americana and his Yukon Trip. When we started planning we both decided that we will not take our big bikes for that trip. We are not planning to do all the way together and if you are alone Olivers BMW 1200GS Adv. and my KTM 990 Adv. can bring you in a lot of hassle due to their weight. Therefore we both bought new Husqvarna 701 for "American Loop". They arrived just in time to find their way under the Christmas tree. On the left side you see me and to the right is Oliver.
    [​IMG]

Adventure Happiness
    We both live in South Germany so visiting America is not as easy for us as it is for the most of you. But it’s not the first time on a big trip anymore, so we know we just need proper bikes, organize transport to the start and having a visa for that country. Everything else will come up during the journey. So we were looking for a task and this is again Olivers Idea. He had the idea for a school project called “Adventure Happiness”. As teacher he misses to teach kids life skills that help to answer questions like:
    • What is Luck?
    • What is essential to be Happy?
    • How can you achieve your Happiness?
    Exactly this is what we want to offer to schools now. The kids complete their learning process with taking a picture of a happy moment. After the trip all these pictures will be collected in a book that we want to sell to support educational projects. Oliver already created a small intro video with the results of a pilot project week at his school. I attended the final presentation and was deeply impressed. We are still looking for schools that are interested. If you are a teacher or want to forward it to a teacher don’t hesitate to contact us. We want to include not just Northamerica in the trip, its planned to visit Australia and Southern Africa too.

Outlook
    I tried to keep the introduction a small as possible. You can stay tuned now about the following bike build of our two Huskies and end of April we will switch to the first travel pictures. It will not be always live but I hope you all enjoy it.
  2. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
    Maikel65535 likes this.
  3. Maikel65535

Oddometer:
    Thank you HickOnACrick, never heard about that but i'm sure the search function will help me with that :-)

So first impressions on the bike build. What do you think we are making?:hmmmmm
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

its getting a bit more obivous :smooch
    [​IMG][​IMG]

and two more parts were we shot less pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The parts aren't finished yet but we soon provide a few more information and of course pictures of the Bikes with their new accessoires. We choose to build these things not to save money more for the reason that oem and aftermarket dosn't deliver what was in our mind. So don't be confused by a more functional but less beautiful design.
    yokesman and mbanzi like this.
  4. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    A fellow from Quebec did the Tat and then the Tcat back to back on a 690 a few years back, I'll try to dig up the RR on that trip.. I tend the farthest west section of the TCAT and may make a few changes this year, be sure to get the latest upload on the GPS track before your departure...
  5. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Oliver701 and Maikel65535 like this.
  6. Diddly

Diddly Bored of Directors

Oddometer:
    The previous poster brought up the Mid-Atlantic Backcountry Discovery Route. Maybe you know there’s a number of other BDRs. I think the TAT shares some tracks with BDRs out west. BDR tracks are free at https://ridebdr.com.

Your route also takes you by the Kentucky Adventure Tour (KAT). I don’t see the KAT on your planned route. KAT was created and is maintained by a member here @Jeff@TheQuadShop. The KAT is a 1000 mile loop. You can jump on the KAT near where West Virginia meets Tennessee. I think someone mapped a KAT-TAT connector route - it’s here somewhere and maybe Jeff has it. The KAT itself is a perfect thumper Route. Some hard sections unsuitable for big bikes, and the main ADV loop is entertaining enough to keep you from getting bored on a 700cc. On KAT you can see wild horses, pass a popular eastern US rock climbing destination (Red River Gorge), and more. If you time the moon phase right, you can camp and see a moon bow (rainbow created by moonlight) in the mist at Cumberland River Falls: http://www.2geton.net/martin/moonbow/moonbowschedule.html.

If you like to read history along routes you should check out ride reports by @Cannonshot. He researches local history, visits locations on the ride and includes alternate routes and directions to points of interest in his ride reports.

Looks like you have a great trip planned.
  7. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    I haven't seen that connector to the TAT but the KAT does use part of the old TAT when it started in Jellico. Someone could run from the KAT and follow the old TAT until it meets back up with the current one.
    Maikel65535 likes this.
  8. Maikel65535

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tipps, gunnerbuck, diddly and jeff@TheQuadShop

First parts are finished. What you see here are the clamps to mount navigation, additional lights, windscreen and the additional electrics like 12V outlet. [​IMG]

In the past i always had the Navigation directly on the clamps of the handlebar. Easy to mount and with a clean look. But you can't see the Display and the street you have to choose. I missed a lot of junctions and had a many dangerous situations therefor the GPS is now higher.
    [​IMG]

The H4 Light is more like a candle but still enough for average street use. In Offroad conditions definitly not enough. So i also added some LED Lights.
    [​IMG]

Next Job is making clamps for the Windscreen. It's not really needed for comfort it's more getting the GPS out of the driving rain. Everything ist very adjustable maybe it's possible to use it for comfort too.
    [​IMG]

We both will use rackless luggage systems but all the luggage plates i could find were small an narrow. I don't want the luggage System to hide my indicators so they defind the with of the plate. We heated it up and bend it down to let the rackless system fit better. We used a 10mm PE = Polyethylen plate which doesn't ruin the bags but is tough enough to survive such a trip.
    [​IMG]

We tried our best to let this big plate look smoth with the lines of the bike. But 90% of the time it will be hidden under luggage anyway. You also can see the unfinished pannier rack made of stainless steel. While rackless systems work great on symetric bikes it's better to have a rack on a asymetric bike. When everything is finshed the lines of the tube and plate should be parallel to the lines of the bike.
    [​IMG]
  9. Zencyl

Zencyl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sub’d. Looks like a blast
    Maikel65535 likes this.
  10. Maikel65535

Oddometer:
    As i introduced American Loop is not just about riding bikes we also want to visit some schools to work with the kids to find out what makes them Happy, our project Adventure Happiness.

The first participant is the Madoma Korando Faith Community Learning Centre in Kenia. We are very pleased to have the opportunity to visit them April/Mai 2020. On the picture you see the makeshift corrugated iron houses that are used as classrooms at the moment lucklily building of new premises is already in progress.
    [​IMG]

We are still looking for Schools in the USA, Kanada and Australia that want to coperate with us. On our interacitve Map is still a lot space: https://www.linesonmaps.com/adventure-happiness/schoolmap/ If you are interested or know somebody who could please send me a message.
  11. Maikel65535

Oddometer:
    Windshield mounted, wiring started. The look is quite smooth from the drivers view.
    [​IMG]

The Windshield can be mounted in 3 different positions. Depending if its needed or not. After the first test ride we will see how it works.
    [​IMG]

The Airflow can be adjusted also via the angle of the windshield. Same with the gps and the whole bracket. 6mm allen key is all you need.
    [​IMG]

first check with the harness of my luggage system. You can see that exhaust, indicatory and tail/brake light have lot of space. These are the reasons for the big luggage plate, Safety
    [​IMG]
    wilfred, PA Dewayne and joenuclear like this.
  12. Maikel65535

Oddometer:
    My departure is coming fast. We just have good 2 month left. Next Week my bike get's its licence plate to arrange the transport to my start in Houston. So time to finish the pannier racks.

Bending, Welding and Checking if they fit a thousend times
    [​IMG]

Oliver felt like he was sanding and polishing the tubes forever.
    [​IMG]

But the final result looks in my opinion much better than what you can buy on the market.
    [​IMG]

I didn't wanted to make to detailed shots of my TIG welding seams, well see if they are strong enough
    [​IMG]

We tried to follow the lines of the bike as good as possible and just wanted to have a basic support for a big "rackless" pannier system.
    [​IMG]

An open point is still how we mount the passenger pegs. Most likley not necessary but refusing a pretty girl a ride is also not an option ;-)
    [​IMG]
    td63, Jtdunn92, wilfred and 4 others like this.
  13. bkendig76

bkendig76 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This looks great and I will be following along. It will be interesting to see how your timeline plays out heading north through Canada and back down across the eastern US.
  14. Maikel65535

Oddometer:
    We are as tuned as you on that topic. But honestly we already expect that we will be more often on a highway than we would prefer. Time always runs out fast on a trip and if you meet nice people it runs out even faster. Not the first time
  15. bkendig76

bkendig76 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It looks like NYC is a main stop on your trip (as it should be). There will be a lot of big roads and highway around there. Once your in PA and heading south you can put together some really great routes like listed on the TAT and MABDR sites.
    Maikel65535 likes this.
  16. Maikel65535

Oddometer:
    My new love wearing the worn out plate of my old love on its clean back. It will be a hard challenge for the Husqvarna to create so many beautiful memories like my old KTM 640 did. I hope someday I can forgive the bastard who sold my small Kati in parts without my permission. You'll also find some impression where this licence plate has been with me.
    [​IMG]

Hard to see but i made a few small plastic parts so that both original lights fit in an acceptable angle. Looked a bit like they made it to sell Lights too.
    [​IMG]

The Primus Rally wasn't a big trip but driving with studds on pure ice is definitly a unique experience that is worth to tackle the challenge of a scandinavian winter. My friend Martin made a ride report about the trip. https://advrider.com/f/threads/primus-winter-rally-norway.1046430/
    [​IMG]

2015 Balkan Compact, my first longer trip totaly on my own. It also was the first ride report i published here. https://advrider.com/f/threads/balkan-compact.1065645/
    [​IMG]

Honestly I was bit dissapointed of my Siberia Trip. The BAM Road was not as hard as i expected it The toughest experience was seeing the train coming while I was in the middle of a railway bridge. It's the most watched report here but i hope to beat it with this one :smooch
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/siberia-2016-riding-the-bam-on-high-water.1167060/
    [​IMG]

The last ride on the 640 Murphys Silkroad. I thought it will be a easy ride home from Mongolia along the silkroad but it was a trip that changed my life forever. Mentaly definitily the hardest year of my life and the reason for American Loop. If you wanna know what happend you also find a ride report here
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/murphys-silkroad-2017-stresstest-for-my-optimism.1244533/

[​IMG]
    DCrider and bkendig76 like this.
  17. Maikel65535

Oddometer:
    Next big part is the wiring. You see additional lights, navigation, 12V Outlet and Voltmeter. What you don't see are the heated grips and my light switch.
    [​IMG]

when you are used to have an additional kickstarter the batterie condition is secondary but with so many consumers on a small generator it's definitly worth to know what's going on.
    [​IMG]

Because you can't see much about the functionality on the photos i made a small circuit diagramm
    [​IMG]

All lights off but ignition on!
    [​IMG]

the original low beam
    [​IMG]

original high beam
    [​IMG]

high beam + offroad lights,
    the offroad lights switch off with the highbeam switch or can switched on whenever the original lights are off.
    [​IMG]

high beam + daytime lights,
    the daytime lights switch off with the highbeam switch or can switched on whenever the original lights are off.
    [​IMG]

All the modifications that contain mostly our own parts are finished now on my bike.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  18. rotorhead511

rotorhead511 Live and let live.

Oddometer:
    Nice set-up. I went the "easy" route but the wiring is always a challenge for me. I can definite appreciate your set-up.
    AUX lights and heated grips will come later.
    I added a fuse block and 12v relay. One switch turns the dash on. If I don't need it I don't have to use it.

IMG_0476.JPG IMG_0481.JPG
    Addapost likes this.
  19. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Have you got provisions to carry extra fuel?
  20. Maikel65535

Oddometer:
    also a nice setup and the bike in great colors :raabia What is the thing left of the 12V outlet?

Yes you can check the research here:
    https://www.linesonmaps.com/gear-en/aftermarket-husky-701/
    The new one from IMS is missing in the collection but it wasn't available when i made it. I don't want to tell now how we decided, because i maybe do that with pictures withing a week, so stay tuned :smooch