American Loop - TAT and TCAT united for Adventure Happiness

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Maikel65535, Dec 30, 2018.

1. rotorhead511

rotorhead511 Live and let live.

Oddometer:
    Volt meter/Dual USB port combo. Volts show up in the middle and a usb on top and below voltmeter.
    Maikel65535 likes this.
  2. Maikel65535

Maikel65535 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the long break but we were going through hell to finish the bikes in time. I'll soon add some more pictures of the bike build but first I want to give you an update about the current status.

3am I got up and luckily my father was willing to drive me to the Airport in Zürich. The Air France flight to Paris was completly full but at least the more important flight from Paris to Houston Texas was pleasant. I also realised that the food is much better than the last one with Aeroflot Russian Airlines. I never will forget the nice cake. We wanted to feed a poor street dog with it and even he refused to eat it :jack
    [​IMG]

On good news follows bad news. When i tried to pick up my bike the explained its in Detroit not Houston. I was completly shocked until they explained, but it will come to houston and shocked again after they said friday. The discussed plan with my shipping company was the bike arrives one or two days before me. We are now talking about 4 days behind me on a holiday directly to the weekend.
    [​IMG]

So i try to submit to the situation that I'm stucked in houston now, hopefully not until Tuesday next week. If someone from Houston wants to meet for a beer or two i would be very happy :beer
    Maddin likes this.
  3. bkendig76

bkendig76 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hopefully your bike catches up with you soon. Good luck and enjoy your stay in Houston. I am no where near Texas but I'll buy you a beer when you loop through PA...
    Maikel65535 likes this.
  4. SlowMovinDream

SlowMovinDream Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Oddometer:
    I live in Houston and I might be able to meet for a beer if our schedules line up. Also - if you need any help I’ll do what I can. I have a garage with tools and a big back yard if you need a place to camp. If I had a spare room I would offer but my house is small so your welcome to camp in the yard and use our facilities, kitchen, etc. I ride a 97 KTM exciting 620 that your welcome to use for old times sake. Sorry about your loss. Mine was stolen once and I was much affected mentally as well until the fool tried to sell it on Craig’s list and I got it back. And all was right with the world again.
    I like your bike build and plan to follow along. Good luck.
    Maikel65535 and Maddin like this.
  5. SlowMovinDream

Oddometer:
    Maikel is On the road now headed towards Austin after a couple of days hanging with my friends and I. We road some gravel roads and difficult single track though the Sam Houston forests. A good time was had by all. Thanks for stopping by Maikel. Have a great trip.
    Maddin and Maikel65535 like this.
  6. Maikel65535

Oddometer:
    Thanks Justin for the update! For the others a short review:

Friday i made it 15minutes before the customs Office closed to get all documents and coud finally get the bike out of storage
    [​IMG]

The joy was incredible:
    [​IMG]

one of the first task was blow up some dirt together with Justin in the Trails of Houston National Forrest:
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

2 Generations of Riders and 2 Generations of LC4 Engines.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The Day finaly ended here:
    [​IMG]

and of course
    [​IMG][​IMG]

justin is not just a cool guy and a good rider he's also a master at the grill
    [​IMG]

chating at the fire
    [​IMG]

Thanks to you Justin and your Friends for the great hospitality it was definitly the best start of all my trips. One of the major ideas behind american loop is getting in contact with other riders. I don't expected what justin offered I'm happy with far less :)
    [​IMG]

Currently I'm in Austin to visit Roger for Adjusting my Suspension. Tomorrow 10am we get the shock out to change the spring. Hope I have the time to make a few kms in direction of my next target big bend.
  7. pip_muenster

pip_muenster curious

Oddometer:
    Moin Maikel!

Nice rack, I'm wondering if a similar design would keep Magadan bags steady, and I'm waiting to find out what you came up with to carry more fuel. When will Oliver be joining you?

Greetings,
    Pip
  8. Maikel65535

Oddometer:
    Hello Sayan,

If you copy the design of the left side to the right maybe. But in t was designed to support big reckless systems like Mosko Moto reckless 80.
    Fuel Tank is a Auroa Super 701 kit. The Report is nearly ready for publishing so stay tuned.
    Oliver joins in Juli.

Best Regards Michael
  9. SlowMovinDream

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words Maikel. Glad my friends and I could give you a warm Texas welcome . I only wish we had more time to ride the trails. For anyone out there that has time to connect with Maikel he is the perfect guest and has lots of stories to tell from his many travels. Ride far my friend and be safe.
    Maddin likes this.
  10. Maikel65535

Oddometer:
    Thanks also for the warm words Justin.

After a initial check yesterday i visited Rogers House of Springs in Austin to adjust the setup of my 701
    [​IMG]

the dog marks its territory
    [​IMG]

We changed the spring, adjusted prepload, rebound and compression and now the bike drives much better. I'm so lucky that Roger had the time to help me with that. We had a great time together and I learned a lot about suspensions.

Currently i am in Blanco Texas and will continue the trip to big bend if the weather is not too bad tomorrow.
    wilfred and BruceT like this.
  11. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Maddin and Maikel65535 like this.
  12. Maikel65535

Oddometer:
  13. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    I'll try to follow your progress and then can get an estimate of when you will be close, perhaps I can take a day off of work then to play tour guide..
    Maddin, eaglescan and Maikel65535 like this.
  14. Maikel65535

Oddometer:
    Discovering the River Road in Big Bend
    [​IMG]

Kind little Animal the rattle snake. It warned me clearly not to come closer before he was hiding in this bush.
    [​IMG]

The boy and his dog happy in their prefered terrain.
    [​IMG]

Never leave without water, you need one Gallon to drink and one as brakedown backup.

[​IMG]

Such an endless landscape
    [​IMG]

So many pictures of me? No this time not the tripod, I was so lucky that i meet James, he assisted me with the pictures and I'm so amazed what brilliant job he did. Thank you very much James.
    [​IMG]

I have a few more pictures and Videos to share hopefully tomorrow. Currently I'm in El Paso and will continue to Mexico soon.

Important: I need to ship a few things from Europe. Can somebody help me with receiving the parcel in the Area of San Diego or Los Angeles so that I can pick it up after Baja?
    td63, wilfred, BruceT and 4 others like this.
  15. Maikel65535

Oddometer:
    Our start in Mexico could not be better. We were invited from Chihuahuas Motorcycle Club Hellfish, you guys just rock.
    [​IMG]

We are getting closer to the Copper Canyon Area
    [​IMG]

Our guarddog Team in Creel
    [​IMG]

Greetings to the Taffy Dakar participants 2019 in Wales
    [​IMG]

Awesome how big that Canyon is.
    [​IMG]

Awesome how steep that Cayon is
    [​IMG]

I know why i never park on the hill side in mountain roads
    [​IMG]

fueling up for the more interesting part
    [​IMG]

Evening in Batopilas before we start driving to Choix
    [​IMG]

currently i'm just doing transfer from Ensenadas to San Diego. I want to do some maintenance there, new tires, oilchange, cleaning airfilter and revalving the rear shok. So most likley i find some time to update the remaining pictures of the route to Choix, Baja and also the Bikebuild Part 2 in the next days. Stay tuned. If someone in South California wants to meet just let me know, I would be pleased.
  16. Maikel65535

Oddometer:
    repairing a tire is already annoying but if a goat complains all the time its getting really nasty.
    [​IMG]

on the road again
    [​IMG]

one of the sweet moments
    [​IMG]

You can't get the view in pictures it was just stunnning
    [​IMG]

what a nice ride
    [​IMG]

be carefull what you touch everything pricks here
    [​IMG]

a prayer can't be wrong in a mafia dominated area
    [​IMG]

The broken bells of Tubares
    [​IMG]

The Rio El Fuerte guides us through the valley
    [​IMG]

Flip the brave Grashopper on Franks shoe soles. They dried from the River crossings.
    [​IMG]

In Mexico you use any shade you can get.
    [​IMG]

Waiting for the ferry to La Paz
    [​IMG]

Still waiting for the ferry to La Paz
    [​IMG]

Our allocated "Cabine" blocks the emergency Exit
    [​IMG]
    td63, mbanzi, Maddin and 1 other person like this.
  17. Maikel65535

Oddometer:
    Currently I'm in Corona and doing some maintenance on the bike. A good time to look back to the Bike Build Phase 2. You already asked about what we gonna do to increase the range. Here it is all the Parts of the Aurora Rally Super 701 Kit.
    [​IMG]

Stayin' alive, stayin' alive
    Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin' alive, stayin' alive
    [​IMG]

shitting dog
    [​IMG]

new headerpipe
    [​IMG]

EVAP System allows the tank to breath filtered and sucks the fuel vapor back into the engine
    [​IMG]

Fuel Lines, Cables for Fuel Pump and brackets for the new tanks
    [​IMG]

new position of the regulator
    [​IMG]

cable spaghetti with new fuel pump toggle switch and reserve light.
    [​IMG]

Fuel connection between left and right tank and heatshield
    [​IMG]

mechanics need small Hands on a 701 sadly mine are big[​IMG]

grinding feels always like forever
    [​IMG]

Sorry Aurora we didn't liked the yellow
    [​IMG]

Already close to the testride
    [​IMG]

We really didn't wanted to cut the nice panels
    [​IMG]

Looks like a Spy shot of a prototyp
    [​IMG]

aren't they cute, the LoM Teams bikes look like almost finished
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you are intersted in more Details please check our Website
    https://www.linesonmaps.com/gear-en/husky-701-en/husky-build-2-range/
  18. SlowMovinDream

Oddometer:
    Nice update. Great build with the bikes. They seem to work well off road. Do you know what the weight is unloaded with fuel ? Anything you would change ? Glad to see all is well and that your having fun. Safe travels.
  19. Maikel65535

Oddometer:
  20. Maikel65535

Oddometer:
    after we arrived in La Paz i had to recover a little bit. My right knee felt like its injured after i twisted it in the copper canyon. Therfore we start with some pictures of the nightlife in La Paz
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These boys finally got the pictures from me to share on their cellphones. You can't believe how happy they were.
    [​IMG]

the knee felt finally good enough to ride again. After now 3 weeks I still can feel it, so maybe still some damage left, but not a reason to stop.
    [​IMG]
    the cactuses are getting bigger
    [​IMG]

steady companion along the baja. Reminds you always not to risk to much they are just waiting for it.
    [​IMG]

luckyly for them the fisherman in San Evaristo left some fish for them
    [​IMG]

along the cost i found some more sympatic birds
    [​IMG]

much easier to get those big slow one when flying then with small more dynamic ones
    [​IMG]

some more footprints of birds and maybe the big ones are from a even more strange bird
    [​IMG]

well deserved brake on the road to the Mission and Oasis of San Javier
    [​IMG]

the Oasis of San Javier is accesible from the north on scenic paved road but it's ten times more impressive if you come from the south like I did.
    [​IMG]

on the way to the laguna de San Ignacio
    [​IMG]

before i entered the laguna itselfs i came through San Juanico were I've seen this little guys:
    [​IMG]

San Juanico is a surfer communitiy so nearly everybody transports a surfboard on his car.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the ride through the region was most of the time pretty tough with a lot of sand. but rewarded finally with a unpaved highway in a kind of a salt desert were i could release all 74 horses easily.
    [​IMG]

a fisher village in the middle of nowhere but absolutly scenic
    [​IMG]

these lakes where full of high concentrated salt water.
    [​IMG]

everything pricks you along the Baja
    [​IMG]

and the cactuses get even bigger
    [​IMG]

When i left Mexico the country tried to hold me back with a nail in my rear tire. It happend while i was waiting in the queue at the border, so i finally pushed my bike back to the States. At the Moment i am in St George Utah and want to visit Grand Canyon, Antelope Valley and Monument Valley. I try to follow roughly the TAT to Colorado Springs.
    pip_muenster, Maddin, mbanzi and 3 others like this.